U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 07:54 AM

11 posts, read 33,110 times

Advertisements

I've read many comments on Delta county but nothing directly about Hotchkiss!
Please post a photo tour of the town. Is the grocery store decent? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 08:03 AM

14,547 posts, read 22,409,464 times
I was sitting here wondering... where the heck is Hotchkiss?!

Evidently, it's right between Paonia and Delta. They have a Hardin's Natural Foods! Maybe HH will come along and know more about the area.

Welcome to City-Data!

Old 12-13-2009, 08:30 AM

16,522 posts, read 20,966,979 times
McG! Whazzup? Yep, Hotchkiss is the halfway point. Not a lot of work there, but a lot of nice people there. I go through there about every other month or so. Real estate is high, like everywhere else in the valley, but it isn't in the insane mode. I wish I had a printer to give ya a pic on it. I've never bought at hardin's , but my friends say it is a great store. Hopefully someone will put up some photos of the area!

Old 12-13-2009, 09:12 AM

11,083 posts, read 12,464,975 times
I've been through there but never stopped to take photos. My sister lived there for years. It's a quiet, sleepy little town. Everyone knows everyone, no crime. But here's some info:

Hotchkiss Colorado Area Chamber of Commerce - The Hotchkiss Chamber of Commerce

http://www.city-data.com/city/Hotchkiss-Colorado.html

Old 12-13-2009, 12:37 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,843,849 times
Hotchkiss has a smallish City Market for a grocery store. It's OK, I guess.

Unless you are bringing money so that you don't need to work, the area has almost no decent-paying jobs outside of the coal mines up around Paonia and Somerset, and they are not doing very well at all right now. Delta County is one of those places in Colorado where real estate remains very overpriced compared to local incomes. Its affordability index is awful. To some from other areas, real estate may look cheap, if you actually have to pay for it out of a local income, it's brutal. And, just about all the basics one needs to buy--food, fuel, utilities, etc.--cost as much or more than in the Front Range cities. The area is nice, but is no bargain whatsoever, all factors considered.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:19 AM

1,312 posts, read 6,915,281 times
My co-sales rep lived there. I would go to see him and his family...neat little town but just like many places in the area there's not a lot of commerce. Delta or Montrose is your best bet for most items and bigger ticket items (like many on the Western Slope) you head into Grand Junction.

It's a pretty drive up to Carbondale and all of the Roaring Forks Valley and during certain times of the year you may run into cattle on the road so it's best to not drive too fast around the area.

A lot of "tele-commuters" and retirees live in the area along with some down-home types so you get a good mix of people. But just like any small-town living, not much to do.

Summers are hot and winters are relatively cold.

I haven't lived in Grand Junction since 1995 but I can't imagine that Hotchkiss has changed all that much. I thought it was a neat little town and out of the many small towns I have been through in Colorado, it's still close enough to larger towns and small cities so you aren't completely blocked off from having a life.

Good luck.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:21 AM

5,822 posts, read 9,473,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janvalang16 View Post
I've read many comments on Delta county but nothing directly about Hotchkiss!
Please post a photo tour of the town. Is the grocery store decent? Thanks
Hotchkiss: very small town in the foothills/high valley area next to mountains. I don't know about the grocery store, but WalMart (supercenter) and other big grocery stores are not far away down towards Montrose.

If I wanted solitude and didn't mind living in a tiny village, and if I had some sort of income already, then Hotchkiss wouldn't be a bad choice.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:37 AM

1,742 posts, read 2,696,131 times
Drove the West Elk Loop through Hotchkiss last summer. I think its one of the most beautiful places in CO. As for the economy - better bring a big bag of cash to live on unless you can get some federal job. RP

Old 12-14-2009, 12:26 PM

11,083 posts, read 12,464,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Hotchkiss: very small town in the foothills/high valley area next to mountains. I don't know about the grocery store, but WalMart (supercenter) and other big grocery stores are not far away down towards Montrose.

If I wanted solitude and didn't mind living in a tiny village, and if I had some sort of income already, then Hotchkiss wouldn't be a bad choice.
WM, City Market, Safeway are all in Delta not all that far from Hotchkiss.

Old 12-14-2009, 04:22 PM

7,764 posts, read 16,871,455 times
The Hotchkiss - Crawford - Paonia area is one of the most beautiful parts of Colorado IMO. Like others have mentioned, if you need to rely upon the local economy, bring lots of money with you, because the jobs are scarce and low paying to boot, and everything is a bit more expensive. If you can find a way to live there and still pay the bills, more power to you. It would definitely be a nice place to live if generating income was not a necessity and you were content having nature as your entertainment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado