U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2009, 11:25 AM

271 posts, read 570,323 times

Advertisements

I left Colorado in 2004. When I was living in Pueblo one of the things I enjoyed doing most was going down to the Pueblo Riverwalk and just hanging out.

I knew it was all slated to be developed but I left before I got to see too much of that happen so, can anyone tell me what has been done at the Pueblo Riverwalk over the past 5 years? (I would like to know any other significant happenings in Pueblo during that time too if there is anything you would like to share.)
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 06:56 PM

12,102 posts, read 20,351,797 times
There are a lot of changes. It will take me a few posts to show you them all but here is a start:

Riverwalk with snow

Old 12-13-2009, 10:53 PM

The Riverwalk has become a great place for job announcements. This was when Big R Decided to move their corporate HQ to Pueblo.

Pueblo is home to a few corporate headquarters. This is the Professional Bull Riders, they are located on the Riverwalk as well.

Some of the new condos on the Riverwalk.

Old 12-14-2009, 07:42 AM

Thanks for the pics. Makes me want to move back

How's the economy there? Are rents still reasonable? Jobs easy or hard to find?

When I first moved there I found a whole house for $200 per month

Of course the house was pretty with the toilet water backing up into the bathtub and out into the yard.

But I moved into a much nicer house out on Denver Blvd and was still only about $350 per month

Old 12-14-2009, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacx View Post
Thanks for the pics. Makes me want to move back

How's the economy there? Are rents still reasonable? Jobs easy or hard to find?

When I first moved there I found a whole house for $200 per month

Of course the house was pretty with the toilet water backing up into the bathtub and out into the yard.

But I moved into a much nicer house out on Denver Blvd and was still only about $350 per month

Proposed buildings 1. Expansion of convention center with expo hall. Existing: Parking lot. 2. Hotel. Existing: Parking lot and part of Richmond Avenue. 3. Parking garage. Existing: Parking lot. 4. Aquatics center. Existing: Vacant land and portion of Richmond Avenue. 5. Mixed-use development. Existing: Police building. 6. Office space: Existing: Former health department building. 7. Mixed-use development. Existing: Vacant lot. 8. Hotel/condos/mixed-use development. Existing: Urban Renewal Authority offices/former print shop. 9. Outdoor amphitheater. Existing: Unimproved grass lot/amphitheater. Existing buildings A. Pueblo Convention Center. B. City of Pueblo transportation office/bus barn. C. Richmond apartments.

This is the latest proposal for the Riverwalk.

The link: http://www.chieftain.com/articles/2009/11/15/business/local/doc4aff513a388a6757470844.txt

As far as jobs and the economy. Pueblo unemployment rate was at 7.4% in October but adamantly its not east to find a job here now. Pueblo is at the start of a renascence with alternative energy and a possible new tech park and energy park and the growth at CSU Pueblo. Thus, I have a feeling things will be changing much here in the next 10 years, but that is only a educated guess.

Old 12-14-2009, 10:54 PM

299 posts, read 787,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post

As far as jobs and the economy. Pueblo unemployment rate was at 7.4% in October but adamantly its not east to find a job here now. Pueblo is at the start of a renascence with alternative energy and a possible new tech park and energy park and the growth at CSU Pueblo. Thus, I have a feeling things will be changing much here in the next 10 years, but that is only a educated guess.

Yes, the job market in Pueblo is not very good right now. People can easily have jobs at one of the city's numorous call centers making 8 or 9 dollars an hour, but good jobs are very, very hard to come by right now. I got laid off from my job of 3+ years back in February, and I have only found a couple of temporary jobs, both of which I got laid off from.

There was a new Vestas plant built just south of town, but close to 10,000 people applied for only 500 jobs that the plant promised to bring. The near future for the job market in Pueblo looks pretty bleak in my mind.

Old 12-14-2009, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyanks57 View Post
Yes, the job market in Pueblo is not very good right now. People can easily have jobs at one of the city's numorous call centers making 8 or 9 dollars an hour, but good jobs are very, very hard to come by right now. I got laid off from my job of 3+ years back in February, and I have only found a couple of temporary jobs, both of which I got laid off from.

There was a new Vestas plant built just south of town, but close to 10,000 people applied for only 500 jobs that the plant promised to bring. The near future for the job market in Pueblo looks pretty bleak in my mind.
A company like Vesta's tend to get applicants from far away. That is why more companies like Vesta's are looking to move to Pueblo as people have no problem moving here to get a job.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:38 PM

138 posts, read 288,275 times
I can live off $7500 a year in Pueblo which is about how much I make in the summer back east although it requires budgeting

Old 12-15-2009, 07:23 PM

Some more changes in downtown Pueblo.

The ice house

What it will look like when its done. It is to downtown Pueblo what the Gates redevelopment would of been to downtown Denver.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:29 PM

Thanks for the pics. I remember the icehouse. Use to walk right pass it when walking my dog. Actually, when I first moved to Pueblo I lived just a few blocks up the street. Well...I'm a walker so a few blocks to a mile or so walk means nothing to me.

How's the zoo?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or