Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 06:43 AM

14 posts, read 40,279 times

Advertisements

Retiring soon (maybe as soon as next spring). I visit my oldest son in Denver at least twice a year for flyfishing. I spent 8 yrs in Colorado while working for Martin Marietta.... 3 of my sons did not leave with us.... I will be parking my wife in a Leisure World condo (55+ community in Maryland). She is not the outdoors or traveling type...... I will be hitting the road in a conversion van RV looking for some roots in Colorado. I have been considering a 1-2br mobile in the Montrose, Delta, Ceaderedge, Grand Junction, Ouray area..... I will probably be traveling the west during the spring-fall (initally until I get out of my system) but will likely come through this area during those jaunts looking to get out of the RV for a while..... I have heard that the Delta area is warmer than the surrounding areas. Where ever I end up I intend to fill the time between fishing trips with volunteer work.... Any comments on this (location or Mobile home living) would be appreciated. Cheers....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 07:44 AM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
There are a number of mobile home parks here on the western slope, I live in one of them. In Grand Junction, the ones on North avenue are not the ones I would recommend. The one near Sam's club seems to be ok, it's off Independent avenue. There are a couple parks on F road, between 31 and 32 road. Clifton I would not recommend. The park I'm in is in Fruita (8 miles west of Grand Jct.) It's newer mobiles and modulars with 40 by 100 foot lots. Holly Park east of downtown Fruita is a similar setup.

Not that familiar with the parks in Delta and Montrose but there a few parks in each town. None in Ouray. Olathe is between Delta and Montrose and has one I believe. Hope this helps a bit.

Hopefully a couple other posters will help out here, not as familiar with the parks in the other areas as my own. I'll do some more digging and try to post again this afternoon with more info!

Old 12-17-2009, 08:04 AM

Default Got time.....

I've got lots of time...... thanks,

Old 12-17-2009, 08:09 AM

Default Clifton and Palisade

Why not Clifton...? How about Palisade...

thanks,

Old 12-17-2009, 08:17 AM

Default Parks in Ouray

Evidently there is at least one park in Ouray....

Listings Search | Monument GMAC Real Estate

Old 12-17-2009, 11:49 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,774,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishfool View Post
I have been considering a 1-2br mobile in the Montrose, Delta, Ceaderedge, Grand Junction, Ouray area.....
I know cost is surely a big factor, but you need to seriously reconsider getting a mobile home. They are notoriously cold in the winter and you will rack up huge heating bills just trying to stay warm, which you will never fully achieve. In college I spent two semesters renting a mobile home and it was miserable in the winter.

Delta is not "warm" in the winter. Neither are any of the other places you mentioned.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:50 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,774,262 times
Most people will tell you Clifton is not a desirable place to live.

Quote:
Why not Clifton...? How about Palisade...

thanks,

Old 12-17-2009, 11:59 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Retiring soon (maybe as soon as next spring). I visit my oldest son in Denver at least twice a year for flyfishing. I spent 8 yrs in Colorado while working for Martin Marietta.... 3 of my sons did not leave with us.... I will be parking my wife in a Leisure World condo (55+ community in Maryland). She is not the outdoors or traveling type...... I will be hitting the road in a conversion van RV looking for some roots in Colorado. I have been considering a 1-2br mobile in the Montrose, Delta, Ceaderedge, Grand Junction, Ouray area..... I will probably be traveling the west during the spring-fall (initially until I get out of my system) but will likely come through this area during those jaunts looking to get out of the RV for a while..... I have heard that the Delta area is warmer than the surrounding areas. Where ever I end up I intend to fill the time between fishing trips with volunteer work.... Any comments on this (location or Mobile home living) would be appreciated. Cheers....
Just one point to make vis a vis mobile home living. It is very difficult to sell them once you have them. Most finance companies will NOT finance them and most people who are looking to purchase a mobile home do not have money to buy them cash. We have a *very* nice doublewide on a permanent foundation in a rural subdivision in Missouri and we have had LOTS of interest from people who cannot get financing and have no cash. This may not be the case in Colorado (it isn't the case in Florida, I know), but it is certainly the case in MO.

If you are not interested in any resale aspects of the arrangement then this is not a consideration, but I thought you should know.

If someone pointed a gun to my head and forced me to live in Colorado I would choose East of Pueblo. Fuita, La Junta, Rocky Ford - even Walsenburg. The mountains leave me cold (pun intended).

20yrsinBranson
formerly lived in Colorado yeesh

Old 12-18-2009, 04:39 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
There are two parks in Ouray- the 4J and... and... I forget the name.
There is Valley Heights on 550 between Ridgway and Ouray. Monthly rents are about $350 there and I don't think people are getting much for their fee- like maintaining the steep road up to the mobiles (but what a view across the valley!)
I think a mobile can have added insulation for real comfort. I'd build a false interior wall with slab insulation or something like that. You won't miss the few inches of interior space.
There are also mobiles scattered around on their own land, which might be a better option.
I'd certainly consider it. Actually, I looked at a tiny one in the 4J a couple of years ago.

Old 12-18-2009, 11:34 AM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
Thanks for the correction Brightdoglover! I was only going by memory here and I couldn't think of parks in Ouray, thanks for the correction.

Another area to consider is Durango. There is a good size mobile home park about 10 miles (?) north of downtown Durango. The Animas river is busy with the fly fishing locals, and if you into steam trains, you are in for a surprise. The Durango-Silverton train runs down the valley daily and the narrow guage is maybe 500 feet from the park and U.S.highway 550. I think that would really appeal to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado