Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 05:08 PM

38 posts, read 108,458 times

Advertisements

I've just been on the phone about a job I applied for. They made an offer but it sounds thin financially.

Can someone who knows Silverthorne tell me about the costs, etc?

Water
Electric
FOOD
natural gas for heat / water heater

I've heard apartments can go $1200 to $1500 which is double what I pay now. It sounds pretty expensive, but sure looks beautiful; like an area I'd really enjoy.

The job offer is from Comcast Cable, money is the sticking point. They do provide a housing allowance, but that made me think its going to be too expensive right away.

ty1969
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 05:35 PM

11,827 posts, read 34,436,540 times
Can you tell us how much you use? Water, gas, food, electric?

Old 12-21-2009, 07:12 PM

For food, right now I'd estimate $400 per month. I don't have a gas powered heater, my apartment is all electric.

I was warned that utility and water bills can vary a great deal. For comparison sake: Summer electric bill for 1 bedroom apartment about 950 sq. feet runs $130 to $160 keeping central air thermostat around 72-74 degrees. Water bill might be $18 to $25 per month. Winter electric bill might be $50 to $80 using electricity for heat. Its been so long since I had a gas powered heating system, I do not know the rates. Water bill in Winter is virtually the same as Summer.

Old 12-21-2009, 09:10 PM

1,872 posts, read 6,493,511 times
Groceries will vary widely depending on what exactly you buy (processed food vs. organic/premium vs. something in-between). But $400/month for one person is pretty reasonable.

Heat/gas varies through the year. 3-bedroom house, no AC. Summer average = $100/month. Winter average = $200/month.

Water for 3 people = $50/month.

Old 12-21-2009, 09:25 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,677,486 times
Summit County is like any other Colorado ski town or support town, in that it is expensive.

There were times in Vail I got by on $50 a week on groceries. It can be done, but it was basics like peanut butter, bread, milk and fruit.

A lot of places up there don't even have AC to begin with so it's not a worry in summer. The temps are almost never over 50 degrees at night even in the dead of summer. There might be 4-6 weeks in the summer it can get uncomfortable due to heat buildup in the apartment during the day, but I bought a window fan from Walmart that sucks in the cool night air from the outside and that worked well.

Comcast stays busy up there because there are so many transient people coming and going constantly hooking up and disconnecting cable and internet.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:11 PM

Well, those numbers help and are not as bad as I expected. I'm in Memphis, TN. We do not know how to act if the air conditioner isn't running all Summer long! I expected it to be bad when I was told the price of apartments being about 2x what mine is now.

The job is an office job, not an installer- etc.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:32 PM

718 posts, read 1,986,366 times
When I lived in Summit County, we compared our grocery receipts to a similar receipt from the same chain in Denver and found that each item was 20 cents higher in the mountains, pretty much across the board.

Old 12-22-2009, 02:28 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,677,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ty1969 View Post
Well, those numbers help and are not as bad as I expected. I'm in Memphis, TN. We do not know how to act if the air conditioner isn't running all Summer long! I expected it to be bad when I was told the price of apartments being about 2x what mine is now.

The job is an office job, not an installer- etc.
Depends on what your housing allowance is and how much you are making an hour. But do expect everything to be more expensive.

One nice thing is that because it's a seasonal/tourist place there are plenty of second jobs in the winter or summer if you want to earn extra money.

Old 12-23-2009, 07:38 AM

We're going to talk enxt Monday and see where it all goes. The housing allowence is ok, but I'd prefer they add about $300 per month to it.

I've never had to deal with this before. I was offered X per hour, insurance and benefits, etc. but no one ever had a housing allowance. Here in Memphis, you can get a nice 1 bedroom apartment like mine for $700 to $750, a 2 bdrm for $800 to $1000, and anice 3 bedroom apartment for $1100 to $1300. These are in nice areas but not the top of the line parts of the area.

Sounds like $1300 will only get a 1 bedroom apt. in Silverthorne! That's crazy expensive and I don't know if I want to outlay that per month for an apartment. I'm not in a financial situation of being able to buy.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:02 AM

1,872 posts, read 6,493,511 times
I hope you're moving here for more than just the job. Hope you like long, cold, snowy winters, and short cool summers. Hope you're into some outdoor activities (especially in the winter).

Also, have you looked into Dillon? Dillon and Silverthorne are your best bets for cheaper lodging. Summit Cove also has some apartments. Not sure if any will be cheaper than what you've found, but maybe worth checking if you haven't already. Have you visited here? Some places may be cheap, but may not be the best areas to live in. Check out the local newspaper for housing: Breckenridge & Summit County Colorado | SummitDaily.com News -- look in the upper-right corner for link to homes for rent/classifieds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado