U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 07:35 PM

18 posts, read 27,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicoan View Post
Seriously, good luck finding a job quickly. You'll be able to find one eventually but you better be ready to wait. What part of Colorado are you moving to?
I'm looking into Denver or a suburb nearby. I know downtown denver and highlands ranch are really expensive. But I have friends ant their families out there who have places for me to stay for no more than $700/month, so at least I wouldn't have to stay in a hotel while I looked for a place. I wouldn't move out there without a job in place, but I'm hoping I can find something to get me out there by June. I guess my main concern is having enough money to keep me afloat.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions so far!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 09:14 AM

3,133 posts, read 9,102,887 times
Stay at your best friend's place for a bit until you find a good job and spilt the rent with him/her?

Old 12-29-2009, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
Stay at your best friend's place for a bit until you find a good job and spilt the rent with him/her?
yeah we're actually working on getting 3 or 4 people in on it to cut down the price per person. It definitely beats paying that all on my own.

Old 12-29-2009, 04:40 PM

3,605 posts, read 4,863,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freewest View Post
Hello emerzz3737. Funny finding your post. I am also moving out to CO in the spring from near West Chester, PA. I travel to CO several times a year. If you have a job in place, then a few thousand (5k?) for moving and settling in should be fine. The problem is that most employers prefer hiring locally, so finding a good paying job from here in PA is easier said than done. The economy is just plain rough. Good luck. Cheers.
That's pretty much the consensus. Good post.

I moved from Colorado to State College PA a couple of years ago with about $3,000 and a job lined up. I needed every penny of that, and I didn't have a moving van (and ate some soup for a couple weeks) but I did it.

Without a job, I'd say you need at least $35,000 before doing a move like that in this economy.

emerzz,
Having lived in both PA and Colorado, I think you would find that Colorado is a very nice place to live. I think you would like the Denver suburbs. As another possibility, I think you'd find that Fort Collins is very similar to State College, but is closer to a major city (1.5 hours as opposed to 3 hours). What did you think of State College ?

Old 12-30-2009, 12:38 AM

9,816 posts, read 19,017,909 times
I would say having a huge whack in savings would be good as well as having a job in the bag, PLUS some other jobs you know about in case something happens.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:59 AM

7,754 posts, read 16,450,212 times
Here's an article about affordable housing (http://www.gjsentinel.com/hp/content/news/stories/2009/12/30/123009_1a_Affordable_housing.html - broken link) ( or rather lack thereof ) in Colorado.

Affordable housing vacancy rates in Colorado, where the state average is 6.7 percent, as of Sept. 10, 2009:

1. Grand Junction, 1 percent
2. Boulder/Broomfield, 2.5 percent
3. Pueblo, 4 percent
4. Denver, 4.3 percent
5. (tie) Loveland, 4.6 percent
5. (tie) Douglas County, 4.6 percent
7. Greeley, 4.9 percent
8. Arapahoe County, 7 percent
9. Adams County, 7.6 percent
10. Fort Collins, 8.4 percent
11. Colorado Springs, 8.9 percent
12. Jefferson County, 11 percent

Source: Colorado Division of Housing

Old 12-30-2009, 10:40 AM

20,304 posts, read 37,790,850 times
CW: Great article, thanks for link. I could play with numbers all day....

Before people mis-understand the story, they need to know the daffynition of what is "affordable housing" as that's a formula set by the government, and it is key to knowing what all the numbers are about. The term is not to be confused with what is the average rent is in any city, that's a whole other game that looks at all rents.

- Affordable housing is any deed-restricted apartment that is rented to a family making less than the area median income, which is $57,200 a year in Grand Junction, according to the Federal Housing Finance Agency.

"Median incomes" vary by location. Here are the target average monthly affordable housing rents in the areas measured:
- $649.10 in Adams County,
- $693.07 in Arapahoe County,
- $805.62 in Boulder-Broomfield,
- $731.14 in Colorado Springs,
- $744.65 in Denver,
- $700.43 in Douglas County,
- $568.90 in Fort Collins,
- $663.63 in Grand Junction,
- $531.40 in Greeley,
- $715.43 in Jefferson County,
- $608.36 in Loveland,
- $526.25 in Pueblo.

By doing a little math, "affordable" monthly rent for Grand Junction is 1.16% of median income. Inversely, if we multiply the monthly rent of $663.63 by a factor of 86.192 we get a median income of $57,200. I'll make the assumption ( ) that if we multiply any of the above rent numbers by 86.192 that we can arrive at what is the median incomes for that city (I couldn't find that data table on the FHFA website).

The data in the article confirms Boulder is the highest cost area and that Greeley and Pueblo are the lowest cost area.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:22 PM

4,222 posts, read 6,991,337 times
emerzz,
You are 23 and single after just having graduated from College. How many possessions do you have that you need to move? What kind of vehicle do you own? If you own anything? How much money you will need is going to depend on what your spending habits are. If you can put all of your possessions (clothes) in two suitcases ship them out on UPS. Less than $100 probably. Buy a good used motorcycle for less than a $1,000 if you do some hardnosed negotiating. If you buy a good used 250/350 you should be able to make the trip to Colorado for about $300 if you eat at McDonald's and sleep at YMCA's. In June the weather should be good enough to make the trip OK. When you get to Denver getting around to hunt for work will be a lot cheaper on the motorcycle than putting gas in a car. If your friend that is already there will let you sleep on his floor for a couple of weeks you might be able to get by until you get work with about two grand as a minimum.

Just my W.A.G and opinion,
Good luck you have an adventure ahead of you.
GL2

Old 01-03-2010, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
That's pretty much the consensus. Good post.

I moved from Colorado to State College PA a couple of years ago with about $3,000 and a job lined up. I needed every penny of that, and I didn't have a moving van (and ate some soup for a couple weeks) but I did it.

Without a job, I'd say you need at least $35,000 before doing a move like that...What did you think of State College ?
Well I've lived in this area my whole life so I find it kind of boring and I really just feel like I need a change. I really can't explain why I love Colorado so much because I don't know where to start. Just being there makes me feel better and less stressed. When I talk to my friends about moving, they can see how passionate I am about being there.

Thanks to everyone for all the advice so far!

Old 01-04-2010, 09:17 AM

2,176 posts, read 5,411,787 times
I'm a Penn State alum too. Graduated in 2004.

I moved to California before I came to Colorado, but my experience with moving to California might be worth sharing. I had friends there already and came out to visit AND interviewed with a temp agency during one of my visits. Obviously the economy was better back then (2004) but I received a call from the person at the temp agency and had something lined up pretty much within a week. My move was quick and I basically went back home and packed my things, but like you, I had nothing tying me down and not a lot of personal belongings. I temped for awhile until I found a full-time job and having the California address and phone number definitely helped, as did staying with friends temporarily. Maybe you can do something similar to this?

I had about 5K in savings.

Don't be discouraged, however. I received the offer for my current position here in Denver while I was still living in California, so it can be done, even though employers tend to favor local candidates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or