U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 09:58 AM

18 posts, read 27,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
I had about 5K in savings. Don't be discouraged, however. I received the offer for my current position here in Denver while I was still living in California, so it can be done, even though employers tend to favor local candidates.
Thank you for the advice. I'm beginning to see that businesses favor local, as that has been my experience so far. I have part time work available for me already, so I know I at least have something to keep me afloat. I'm trying to find a full time job because then I don't have to worry so much financially. I'm hoping to move there with about 7 or 8k. Knowing you were able to do it on 5k helps me feel better. How do you like Colorado?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 04:32 PM

147 posts, read 181,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emerzz3737 View Post
Well I've lived in this area my whole life so I find it kind of boring and I really just feel like I need a change. I really can't explain why I love Colorado so much because I don't know where to start. Just being there makes me feel better and less stressed.
Hello again emerzz3737. Let me explain why you love Colorado. And this applies to most of the western states, yes, even Texas . The following is not PC and may offend, but.........the reason you love CO is because when you are there the people make you feel at ease. I have lived in the east for years. There is an anger here that way too often permeates to the surface. Even simple interactions become confrontations and arguments. It is very aggravating. I spent my young adult years out west. When I moved back to the east, I never readjusted to that angry inner child attitude (they throw snowballs at Santa Clause here). I make several trips a year out west, usually Colorado, just to take a break from the east. You may think you are bored here, but there is as much, if not more to do here than there. But life has much more quality to it in the west. Much of the west has only recently been built up (last 50 years), whereas the east is centuries old (and crumbling). Things are newer there, as are attitudes. People are much more down to earth and respectful of others. They know that everyone is just trying to make their way in this life, just like themselves. I do see the front range changing, however, both economically and philosopically. As more easterners relocate to the west, they bring some of that baggage with them. I hope when you move there, you will become a westerner in spirit and philosophy. Best of luck to you.

Old 01-05-2010, 04:39 PM

7,754 posts, read 16,455,342 times
freewest wrote:
they throw snowballs at Santa Clause here
Sounds like a Philadelphia Eagles fan!

Old 01-05-2010, 04:43 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,482,314 times
freewest, i second that attitudes in the east are, well, crummy. My husband and I are moving to Co (in 2 weeks, finally!) and all our visits the past 7 years we have felt more at home in Co than Pa. We will Not be bringing any east coast baggage!!

Old 01-05-2010, 05:03 PM

147 posts, read 181,520 times
CosmicWizard - ROFL

stoymonkey - good for you. I wish you well in your journey.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:34 PM

84,978 posts, read 98,832,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
freewest wrote:
they throw snowballs at Santa Clause here
Sounds like a Philadelphia Eagles fan!
Didn't they shoot Santa there?

Old 01-06-2010, 04:39 AM

620 posts, read 1,277,190 times
No, mostly they shoot each other.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:47 AM

7,754 posts, read 16,455,342 times
treeluvr wrote:
No, mostly they ( Eagles fans ) shoot each other.
Ah, but you forget that Eagles fans will have an opportunity to watch their team in at least one playoff game ( probably only one! ). That is one more playoff game than Broncos fans will get to watch this year....unless they become Eagles fans.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 01-06-2010 at 08:03 AM..

Old 01-06-2010, 08:54 AM

14,131 posts, read 26,259,830 times
I think you're unfairly projecting onto the whole East coast what you see in Philadelphia, which has been in decline for the past 50 years and where people are clawing just to survive. I grew up in the West and am the first member of my family to have lived East of Colorado in over 100 years. While rural Westerners are pretty friendly, there's just as much dog-eat-dog in the big cities there as anywhere else. Rural folks in the East are pretty friendly too, particularly down here in VA and NC. There's a lot of image consciousness now in the West that I don't see in the East (outside of Manhattanites) with people pre-occupied about how cool they look to others. I'd put the average Virginian up with the average Coloradan on the friendliness scale.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:17 AM

16,438 posts, read 18,519,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I'd put the average Virginian up with the average Coloradan on the friendliness scale.
Having lived in both Norfolk and Colorado Springs, I have to disagree. COS is much friendlier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or