Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 09:53 AM

3,603 posts, read 5,937,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Apart from going to a bar with your social group, in my experience the only socially worthwhile thing about bars is to have trivial conversations with people you don't know. Nothing meaningful. In my whole life I don't think I've ever become friends with someone I met at a bar. I've had lots of conversations, a few of them interesting, most of them pointless, most of them with people who are lushes.

But that's me. I'm not a wooo-hooo life of the party vibrant type of guy. Those type of people do meet people at bars and make friends, girlfriends/boyfriends etc.
Sure, absolutely. Your post is absolutely correct, especially the part about having a fun trivial conversation at a bar --- I've done that a number of times.

However, I don't think most of those people who meet a girlfriend/boyfriend at a bar end up having a happy relationship with that person. There are exceptions, I know. But you'd have to be pretty lucky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 10:03 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
I actually know a number of people who met their spouses at bars. I met my husband at a "mixer". It just happens when it happens.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:10 AM

336 posts, read 697,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emerzz3737 View Post
Since everyone has been so helpful in the financial aspect of moving, does anyone know what it's like to meet people out there? I'm 23 and single and already have a group of friends in CO, but I don't want that to discourage me from meeting new people. I guess my concern stems from living around here because where I live, any girl with an ounce of self respect wouldn't go trying to meet a guy in the bars around here. They are rude, and arrogant, and really only want one thing from you...I'd like to think that more of the men in Denver are much more easy going and polite... Any advice or suggestions?
I have advice... In this world that we live in....assume that everyone that you meet *wants just one thing* and let them earn your trust on a get to know basis...most men won't shy away from trying that *one thing* but if it is someone who really likes you or is interested in you...they will respect the fact that you want to know them first...good luck...

Old 01-11-2010, 11:38 AM

148 posts, read 224,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emerzz3737 View Post
any girl with an ounce of self respect wouldn't go trying to meet a guy in the bars around here. They are rude, and arrogant, and really only want one thing from you...I'd like to think that more of the men in Denver are much more easy going and polite... Any advice or suggestions?
LOL. Please do not have any "made in Hollywood" illusions that men in Denver are some kind of fantasy. Men are men. We don't act like the men in some "chick flick". We act like men do in the real world. While western men & women tend to be more laid back, western men in western bars still want western sex. That's why sheep are nervous . Seriously, as has been mentioned, find some activity you like and go do it. You will meet plenty of folks just going about your business. But have no delusions. There are jerks everywhere. And besides, I almost never go to bars in Denver anymore because everyone there is from Boston, New York, Newark, or worse, Philadelphia.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:45 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,865,904 times
Wanna meet new people? Try going to a laundromat. Pay special attention and you will find out a lot.

GL2

Old 01-11-2010, 03:03 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,779,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
Sure, absolutely. Your post is absolutely correct, especially the part about having a fun trivial conversation at a bar --- I've done that a number of times.

However, I don't think most of those people who meet a girlfriend/boyfriend at a bar end up having a happy relationship with that person. There are exceptions, I know. But you'd have to be pretty lucky.
When it comes to relationships, luck is the name of the game no matter what you do

Old 04-22-2010, 10:51 AM

18 posts, read 31,679 times
Hello Again!

It's been a while since I've checked things out on here. Right now, I'm at a second round interview for a job in downtown denver. My news questions are: Where are good places to stay that aren't terribly expensive and close to public transportation so I don't have to drive into down town everyday. Ideally, I'd love to live in downtown, but financially, I don't think that is realistic at this point. I heard good things about Platt Park and Washington Park. Thoughts?

My dad (being a typical dad) wants me to find out about the cost of living and what is a good base salary to live comfortably out there. I live in a suburb of philly and its very expensive (a studio apartment is no cheaper than $850). I looked it up and if I made $35000 out here, I'd need at least $32000 out there. Apparently this info isn't good enough for my dad so if anyone has more information it would be MUCH appreciated!

Thanks!!

Old 04-22-2010, 02:29 PM

1,869 posts, read 4,023,087 times
emerzz3727, let your dad know, that coming from Pa to Co 3 months ago, i am still amazed at how much cheaper many things are out here.

Old 04-22-2010, 07:53 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
For $850, you could find a nice two bedroom apt in the DU area; probably not Wash Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado