Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 02:16 PM

148 posts, read 224,101 times

Advertisements

Yeah, a few thousand if you are staying with friends. Don't forget, sitting around their home all day causes friendships to end fast. I hope you can cook . Something to bear in mind.........if job prospects for you turn out to be really bad, be prepared to move elsewhere, or even come back. I know that may be hard to take, but it must remain in the realm of possibilities. Plus you may find yourself getting a job that requires yet another interstate move. You are just starting out and have to be flexible (Alaska is nice ).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 05:42 PM

1,869 posts, read 4,023,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emerzz3737 View Post
I definitely understand what you mean. That's exactly what my best friend said before she moved out there, and I didn't understand until I started going out there. It's beginning to feel like when I go out there, I'm going home and when I come back to PA, it doesn't feel right and I don't feel like myself anymore. I love it if you could keep in touch through your move and getting settled. Any advice for a first time mover would be very much appreciated.
DM me whenever you like. We have about 16k saved, but that's a lot more than we planned. Many people get by on a lot less. I will be "going home" in one week!

Old 01-07-2010, 06:03 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,938,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
80skeys wrote:
Almost anyone can get by with a couple thousand bucks as long as you get a job in a month or two.
In the past that was certainly true for me, and most other people too I believe. Currently, the iffy part of the equation is getting a job in a month or two. That is not a given in the current economic climate. Therefore, a bigger kitty would be nice to have. But I agree that even now it can be done with far less than $35,000. Personally, I'd want to have at least $5,000. The actual amount required to create an illusion of security will vary from person to person.
I'm responsible for the $35,000 comment.

I was thinking along the lines of how much you'd need in savings if
you are leaving a full time job in order to move across the country

If you've just graduated from college and don't have a job either in PA or in CO, then there's no reason why you can't move from PA to CO with whatever you happen to have on you. You'll need a job whether you move to CO or stay in PA, so it doesn't really matter. The actual cost of moving across the country can be as little as a few hundered dollars, especially when you have somewhere to stay once you get there.

I also stated in the same post that I moved from CO to PA with about $3,000 and a job already waiting for me in PA. I needed every penny of that in my case, because I had to get my own apartment once I got there.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:04 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,866,892 times
One thing to consider in your job searches. A part time job flipping hamburgers at Mickey D's will pay some if not most of your basic living expenses until you get the job you really want. The worst thing you can do is pound the pavement 8 hours a day spending all of your savings until they are gone. Besides the networking opportunities at a fast food joint might open doors for you in a better position.

GL2

Old 01-07-2010, 06:06 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,938,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freewest View Post
Yeah, a few thousand if you are staying with friends. Don't forget, sitting around their home all day causes friendships to end fast. I hope you can cook . Something to bear in mind.........if job prospects for you turn out to be really bad, be prepared to move elsewhere, or even come back. I know that may be hard to take, but it must remain in the realm of possibilities. Plus you may find yourself getting a job that requires yet another interstate move. You are just starting out and have to be flexible (Alaska is nice ).
Excellent post. I agree 100%. Don't be dead set on a particular location when you're young, especially when the economy is sour.

Get a job where you can get one, and worry about moving to your favorite location later.

The OP may very well be working in Appleton, WI within one year of this date !!!

Old 01-07-2010, 08:10 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
As of right now the only thing I'm planning on moving out there are clothes. And I have friends with places out there already so I might even ship it out there early and just buy a one way ticket, and I'm buying cheap furniture when I get out there. Still having trouble trying to figure out how much money to save up though... I've heard ranges from $1000 all the way up to $35,000. If I had to save up 35k, I wouldn't move until I'm like 40 haha. Part of the reason why I want to move now is because I really want a clean slate and I have no strings attached to staying in PA.

Help...
Shipping is a great way to move your goods. Then you can just hop in the car and drive out here.

I would say shoot for $5000 in savings. It's true you can get a job flipping burgers fairly easily here. Do you have any money left from a college fund, or similar?

Old 01-08-2010, 06:30 AM

18 posts, read 31,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Do you have any money left from a college fund, or similar?
Right now I have about $4000. I'm doing temp work for 3 months and should be able to save at least another $4000 by them time I'm finished. I'm headed back out to CO next month so I'm also working on getting some interviews with my contacts. If I come up empty handed, I might try again in May. From all of the contacts I've talked to, it seems like things should be looking up around 2nd quarter (April/May)

I appreciate all the great advice everyone! Thank you!

Old 01-08-2010, 06:33 AM

18 posts, read 31,683 times
Oh, also, I totally agree with the mooching off your friends thing. But I should probably clarify that I never planned financially to mooch off my best friends out there. I'm definitely planning on paying my share of rent, which is why I'm trying to save so much. I can cook so thankfully, my best friend's boyfriend said he'd buy the food if I cook it. Fair deal if you ask me haha.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:26 AM

148 posts, read 224,101 times
A very fair deal. Just watch out for those Rocky Mountain oysters. They can be tough if not cooked properly .

Old 01-08-2010, 07:32 AM

336 posts, read 697,987 times
Quote:
Well I've lived in this area my whole life so I find it kind of boring and I really just feel like I need a change. I really can't explain why I love Colorado so much because I don't know where to start. Just being there makes me feel better and less stressed. When I talk to my friends about moving, they can see how passionate I am about being there.

Thanks to everyone for all the advice so far!

OMG...I couldn't have said this better myself...I am not 23 anymore...but ever since we started visiting Colorado...I cannot get it out of my heart...
not just the beauty...there is something about it that draws you in...I talk
about being there all of the time...I check the weather there everyday...I
know I drive my kids crazy with my obsession to live there...but it's almost
as if there is a feeling that is where I belong, so I hope to live there soon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado