U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2009, 08:40 PM

18 posts, read 27,916 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I've been looking on this forum for quite some time so I thought I'd give it a shot asking my questions about moving to colorado.

First, a little something about me. I just graduated from Penn State with a marketing degree and a minor in civic and community engagement. My best friend moved to colorado this past may and when I visitied for the first time, I absolutely fell in love with it. Everything about it is such a nice change from West Chester, PA. The atmosphere, the people, things to do-it's incredible. I'm 23 and have no strings attached here (more school, a relationship, etc). I've been looking into moving out there hopefully around June but I still have a lot of concerns. So here's where I'm hoping someone can help me out.

I'm wondering about how much money is a safe amount to relocate from PA to CO as well as having money to get an apartment and get on my feet out there. I would absolutely need to have a full time job in place before I moved, but in this economy I'm not counting on an employer to pay relocation costs.

If anyone is in the same boat as me or can offer me advice on my situation whether to move out there or not, I'd really appreciate it!
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 09:48 PM

84,960 posts, read 98,795,031 times
If you have a job lined up, a few thousand in savings so you can rent an apt and take care of business before you start getting paid should suffice. It's been a long time since I moved; I have no idea what moving coss are these days. The cheapest way is probably U-Haul or equivalent. You might consider selling some things to avoid moving them out here.

Old 12-23-2009, 10:02 PM

3,460 posts, read 4,789,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
If you have a job lined up, a few thousand in savings so you can rent an apt and take care of business before you start getting paid should suffice. It's been a long time since I moved; I have no idea what moving coss are these days. The cheapest way is probably U-Haul or equivalent. You might consider selling some things to avoid moving them out here.
A few thousand in savings won't even pay first last and deposit on an average apartment.

At a minimum, you should have that plus:
enough for utility hookups/deposits
a month worth of money to get you through until your first check
money to rent a moving truck if you need one
money to stock your refrigerator and cupboards
money to buy the extra things that you always seem to need in a new apartment
money to stay in a motel for a week or so while you hunt for a place to live.

It's also a really good idea to have a couple months worth of living expenses in the bank just in case your new job doesn't work out as planned.

To get an idea of the rent you'll need to pay in whatever area you choose, Craigslist is a pretty good indicator.

Old 12-23-2009, 11:41 PM

11,715 posts, read 35,010,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
A few thousand in savings won't even pay first last and deposit on an average apartment.
nonsense

Old 12-23-2009, 11:58 PM

84,960 posts, read 98,795,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
nonsense
Agreed. My kids have rented apartments recently; I have some feel for rental prices.

Old 12-25-2009, 02:22 PM

147 posts, read 181,448 times
Hello emerzz3737. Funny finding your post. I am also moving out to CO in the spring from near West Chester, PA. I travel to CO several times a year. If you have a job in place, then a few thousand (5k?) for moving and settling in should be fine. The problem is that most employers prefer hiring locally, so finding a good paying job from here in PA is easier said than done. The economy is just plain rough. Good luck. Cheers.

Old 12-27-2009, 09:19 PM

18 posts, read 27,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freewest View Post
Hello emerzz3737. Funny finding your post. I am also moving out to CO in the spring from near West Chester, PA. I travel to CO several times a year. If you have a job in place, then a few thousand (5k?) for moving and settling in should be fine. The problem is that most employers prefer hiring locally, so finding a good paying job from here in PA is easier said than done. The economy is just plain rough. Good luck. Cheers.
Freewest: Thank you for the helpful information. It is funny we live so close and are both moving out to colorado (well me, hopefully). I definitely know what you mean about the jobs. I have a few contacts out there who I've kept in touch with, so hopefully something will come up soon. I also try to visit there every couple of months and schedule interviews accordingly.

Best of luck with your move. Maybe you can post on here and let me know how it goes. Any more advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:17 AM

4,888 posts, read 8,899,377 times
For someone in your situation, a few thousand dollars would be fine if you already get a job lined up here first. Cost of living isn't much, especially if you're young and don't need a house or large apartment.

Old 12-28-2009, 12:32 PM

60 posts, read 223,665 times
Seriously, good luck finding a job quickly. You'll be able to find one eventually but you better be ready to wait. What part of Colorado are you moving to?

Old 12-28-2009, 03:31 PM

7,754 posts, read 16,450,212 times
I moved from Berks County PA to Boulder in 1971 with about $500 to my name. Since I just got discharged from the Air Force right before I moved, I wasn't overly concerned about a job because my time in the Air Force qualified me for 6 months of unemployment ( a whopping $64 a week ). Back then, big brothers generosity supported my simple lifestyle, including a car payment of $44 a month. Obviously those were differnt times, when the US dollar had alot more buying power than todays inflated dollar, barely worth the paper it's printed on....and the really serious inflation is yet to come. Bring lots of money with you, unless you are willing and able to live very simply until you find a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or