U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 03:04 PM

5,748 posts, read 10,520,691 times

Advertisements

I rented a brand-new, 4bd/3bth house in Castle Rock for $1250/month (we later negotiated down to $1150) from 2006-2008. It was a pretty sweet deal, but the neighborhood was out in the middle of nowhere and the yard had never been finished, so there was no backyard for my kids to play in. We provided our own refrigerator and were responsible for all utilities. The landlord was hanging on by a thread! I checked the public records every month to make sure the house stayed out of receivership, so we'd have time to make other arrangements. A similar house closer toward the city would be significantly more expensive. And, by all means, don't underestimate the cost of commuting. Gasoline and car maintenance aren't cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingColoradoNow View Post
I hate to say this but anyone who pays over $1500 a month for rent on a normal sized home is a fool. I don't see how any middle class family can afford that.
I think that's a perfectly reasonable amount of money to rent a four-bedroom house in the Denver metro region. Houses here aren't cheap! Consider what the mortgage would be if you bought a house that size. At $250-350k and 20% down, you'd be looking at a similar payment, if not more. Remember, too, that landlords also have to make enough to maintain the property, which can add up for a rental. I think you may need to adjust your expectations.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 01-01-2010 at 03:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2010, 05:47 PM

15 posts, read 34,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
That isn't "you" making a sacrifice. You're simply volunteering to work your husband harder to put you in a fancy neighborhood. If you're truly willing to make a sacrifice, you'll be willing to settle for something you can actually afford to make your husband's life a little nicer.

I can see where you would want the nicer house, but if you insist on Parker you're going to be very house poor on your income. If you're willing to downgrade your expectations a little to accept one of the less expensive suburbs you'll be able to get more house for your money which will benefit the entire family.
Sterlinggirl I think you are misunderstanding me. I did not know Parker is a fancy neighborhood. Personally for me I don't want to live in Parker. I would much rather live in Weld County and have my husband work their also. If we can find housing that meets our needs and is in our price range in a city that is close by then by all means I am willing to move there.

As far as my husband commuting from Weld County to Parker, it may end up being that way until we can find a house for a few weeks. I don't see this being any bigger of a sacrifice on his part than all of the times I have had to quit school due to his schedule with the military.

Ultimately, we will have to stay with my inlaws in Weld County until we can find a house no matter where they put us. Right now we have put in for Colorado and are trying to get the Weld/Larimer County areas but would settle for Parker. My husband has been advised not to live too close to where he grew up because it could make his sell of the military more difficult for him.

At the same time, I am not willing to make a sacrifice on the size of house I need. I have three children and they cannot share a room. That means I will be needing a four bedroom home. I also have to have a minimum of a one car garage. It is a must for my husband in the winter months so he does not mess up his uniform.

With all of this said, I will be thankful to get off this island in May. A year and a half earlier than was originally planned.

Old 01-01-2010, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
I rented a brand-new, 4bd/3bth house in Castle Rock for $1250/month (we later negotiated down to $1150) from 2006-2008. It was a pretty sweet deal, but the neighborhood was out in the middle of nowhere and the yard had never been finished, so there was no backyard for my kids to play in. We provided our own refrigerator and were responsible for all utilities. The landlord was hanging on by a thread! I checked the public records every month to make sure the house stayed out of receivership, so we'd have time to make other arrangements. A similar house closer toward the city would be significantly more expensive. And, by all means, don't underestimate the cost of commuting. Gasoline and car maintenance aren't cheap.

I think that's a perfectly reasonable amount of money to rent a four-bedroom house in the Denver metro region. Houses here aren't cheap! Consider what the mortgage would be if you bought a house that size. At $250-350k and 20% down, you'd be looking at a similar payment, if not more. Remember, too, that landlords also have to make enough to maintain the property, which can add up for a rental. I think you may need to adjust your expectations.
The government give us $1500 a month for a housing allowance if we live in the Parker area and droppedy by nearly $150 from 2009 to 2010. With that money, I have to budget rent and utilities. This is where I am getting my figures as to what I can afford. I figure if I say $1100 is my rent budget then, I will have $400 left for utilities.

When it comes to commuting, my husband will have an expence accout with the military for that along with a government vehical. My hope is that I can negotiate a three year lease with the home we choose to move into and possibley cut down on the cost of rent. For me that would be optimal. Especially since I am not to keen on moving every year.

I do understand that the owner of a home has to make money to maintain a home. At the same time I have been doing my home work and several of the current landlords have bought these rental properties as forclosures and short sales and purchased them cheap. Therefore my expectations aren't too unreasonable. Especially when I look online and see what I can get in Weld and Larimer Counties for the same amount of money.

At any rate, no has answered my questions about football for my eldest son. This is very important to me. I feel getting him involved in his sport as soon as we get there will help ease in his transition. Finding dance and gymnastics schools for my daughter should be a fairly easy to find but the football is a little more difficult.

Old 01-01-2010, 06:09 PM

League Finder (http://www.popwarner.com/admin/colorado.asp - broken link)

It took me less than five seconds to google Pop Warner Football Colorado. I'm sure if you e-mailed the contact person for the Denver region, he would be more than happy to answer your questions.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 01-01-2010 at 06:40 PM..

Old 01-01-2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingColoradoNow View Post
The government give us $1500 a month for a housing allowance if we live in the Parker area and droppedy by nearly $150 from 2009 to 2010. With that money, I have to budget rent and utilities. This is where I am getting my figures as to what I can afford. I figure if I say $1100 is my rent budget then, I will have $400 left for utilities.

When it comes to commuting, my husband will have an expence accout with the military for that along with a government vehical. My hope is that I can negotiate a three year lease with the home we choose to move into and possibley cut down on the cost of rent. For me that would be optimal. Especially since I am not to keen on moving every year.

I do understand that the owner of a home has to make money to maintain a home. At the same time I have been doing my home work and several of the current landlords have bought these rental properties as forclosures and short sales and purchased them cheap. Therefore my expectations aren't too unreasonable. Especially when I look online and see what I can get in Weld and Larimer Counties for the same amount of money.

At any rate, no has answered my questions about football for my eldest son. This is very important to me. I feel getting him involved in his sport as soon as we get there will help ease in his transition. Finding dance and gymnastics schools for my daughter should be a fairly easy to find but the football is a little more difficult.
If you can find a four-bedroom under $2k/month in Parker, then my hat's off to you!

Old 01-01-2010, 07:49 PM

Quote:
League Finder (http://www.popwarner.com/admin/colorado.asp - broken link)

It took me less than five seconds to google Pop Warner Football Colorado. I'm sure if you e-mailed the contact person for the Denver region, he would be more than happy to answer your questions.
Thanks, I did that already. There are alot of things that will be happening over the next six months for our family and we won't know exactly where we are going until the beginning of April.

At this point, I am going to tell my husband we don't need to live in or around Parker because it is entirely too expencive. You have have to be upper middle class to survive in that area and we are not that. Maybe lower middle class at best.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:47 AM

I think you ought to continue looking in Parker, because it's not all high-end, but I also think you should keep your options open for more affordable areas. Four bedrooms is going to be tough, but Castle Rock might have some options for you. Take a look at Founders Village, and perhaps even Castlewood Ranch. The commute to Parker would be fairly easy from those neighborhoods.

It appears that Pop Warner has some teams up in Aurora. Castle Rock tends more toward soccer.

Old 01-03-2010, 01:30 AM

21,164 posts, read 22,173,148 times
In many of the south suburban areas, the competitive sports leagues (including football, among others) are part of the Arapahoe Youth League program....not affiliated with Pop Warner (that I know of) but it's a similar kind of thing....includes football, baseball, basketball, softball (I think soccer falls under something else but I could be wrong)....very popular in Parker, Douglas County, Highlands Ranch, Centennial, Greenwood Village, Aurora etc etc (In Parker, the teams are "Hawks", in Aurora "Spartans", HR "Warriors" ...)

http://www.aylsports.net/

Old 01-03-2010, 05:58 AM

Quote:
I think you ought to continue looking in Parker, because it's not all high-end, but I also think you should keep your options open for more affordable areas. Four bedrooms is going to be tough, but Castle Rock might have some options for you. Take a look at Founders Village, and perhaps even Castlewood Ranch. The commute to Parker would be fairly easy from those neighborhoods.

It appears that Pop Warner has some teams up in Aurora. Castle Rock tends more toward soccer.
I will keep my options open but at the same time a short commute for my husband to the office would be optimal. Currently he commutes 45 minutes to an hour each way. For him this is torture. Anything to make life a little easier for him would be ideal but at the same time we cannot sacrifice on the size of home we need.

For me an older neighborhood is ideal. Having teenagers around is not a big deal to me and it's always nice to have a teenage girl around who is able to babysit.

I will also look into the possibility of us being able to live on Buckley if we have to but that is a last resort.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:25 PM

4 posts, read 5,667 times
I'll be relocating to Colorado from Simi Valley, CA for work in March. I've never been to Colorado but understand it offers quality of life. My work will keep me on the road most of the time, so even though home office will be in Commerce city, I can reside just about anywhere. Me and wife have two young daughters, ages 1 and 4, and safety is most important. That is why we moved to Simi Valley originally, crime is relatively low, there are a lot of parks for the kids, and we actually know our neighbors (not very common for most parts of southern california). As I mentioned my work will have me covering most of the state and will frequently have overnighters away from my family. We are looking for a three bedroom house (townhouse) around $1300. The little research we have done says that Castle rock, Highlands Ranch or Parker are indeed nice areas to live in. Does this sound right or does anyone have other suggestions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado