U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 08:49 AM

15 posts, read 34,118 times

Advertisements

We are seriously considering moving to Parker, Colorado in the May/June time frame. We are from Northern Colorado but, are on the fence about being so close to family. My husband feels that Parker is just the right distance. My question is how is the Pop Warner Football there for my 10 year old son. We are very active in the sport at our current location and it's very important for me to keep him involved with the sport. I know I am one of those mom's but, my child was obese until we got him started with tackle football and now he is more fit than ever; not to mention he really loves the sport.

I have read on other forums that Parker is the place to be for a family like ours and that's great. Personally for me though I need my children to stay active in structured sports. This will help ease in their transition and help to deal with my husband's new found long work hours.

Also, housing costs would also be nice to know a little bit about. I will be needing to rent a 4 bedroom house with a two car garage for no more than $1100 a month. Is this possible to do and still be in a safe area? My children's safety is of the utmost importance to me. My husband is in the military and for the past 11 years we have had the safety and security of the bases. Now that will be thrown out the window.

Also, how military friendly is the town? Are there alot of tree huggers there or are they mostly normal patriotic people. I would hate for my children to be harassed like they were during the beginning of OIF when we made a trip to Boulder and some lady told my son that her father was a baby killer-he was only four at the time and I was not very happy about the incident.

Any other useful information would be great. Not to worried about the commute because I am a stay at home mother and I have absolutely no desire to change things. I have a big enough job raising three children.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 11:04 AM

12,841 posts, read 23,212,253 times
What exactly is a "family like yours", and what makes you think that Parker is "it"?

Does your husband work at home? Is work going to be in Parker, or nearby?

$1100/mo would be pushing it IMO. I think you'd have to get something smaller than you described at that price point, or bump up your price.

Define: "safe". You know, the rest of us manage to live just fine without being on military bases. Parker isn't known for its crime, if that's what you are worried about.

Parker isn't known as being "tree-hugger central". Quite the opposite actually. Think middle-class conformist Republican, and/or people who's goal is to live in a sanitized suburb far from town, who live there because "it's good for families", and because it's "safe", and has "good schools", add some who live there for those reasons at the cost of their sanity, paid in the form of a long commute (I have a friend who lives there for those reasons, and used to commute to Loveland (the town) everyday, he was INSANE ).

Your husband would be more likely to be thanked for his service before he was called a babykiller.

Old 12-31-2009, 03:54 PM

What I meant by "family like ours" is there are three children and possibley my dog who is currently living in my inlaws farm.

My husband is active duty military and would be one of the local recruiters in the area if we moved to Parker. He would be working in Parker and the surrounding area and then commute to Denver often.

I am trying to find a place for us that our entire family can be happy with. Personally for my living next door to the inlaws would be optimal but, for my husband would be nightmare.

As for the price range for a house, I can go a little higher but would prefer not to because our president keeps lowering the housing allowances and I am not willing to put my family in a potential situation that in time could force us to move ; a task I despise. Not to mention the fact that we are just in the past couple of years able to save money and not live pay check to pay check.

The size of the house is non-negotiable. I have a 10 year old son, a 7 year old daughter and a soon to be two year old son. It is unfair to make any of them share a room.

Old 12-31-2009, 08:21 PM

127 posts, read 263,794 times
Hi! I'll also be moving to Parker next year to be with my boyfriend. He lives in Parker, he has kids and loves it there! He says it is a very nice area and very safe. I've been looking on Craigslist just to get an idea of what the prices are like for rentals in that area. It looks like a 3-4 bedroom house would be about 15-1600 a month.
I'm so sorry that lady said that to your son, what kind of a person would say that to a child? My boyfriend is retired military and has never mentioned any problems, I don't think that he would live there if there was that kind of attitude going on. Good luck to you!

Old 01-01-2010, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingColoradoNow View Post
What I meant by "family like ours" is there are three children and possibley my dog who is currently living in my inlaws farm.

My husband is active duty military and would be one of the local recruiters in the area if we moved to Parker. He would be working in Parker and the surrounding area and then commute to Denver often.

I am trying to find a place for us that our entire family can be happy with. Personally for my living next door to the inlaws would be optimal but, for my husband would be nightmare.

As for the price range for a house, I can go a little higher but would prefer not to because our president keeps lowering the housing allowances and I am not willing to put my family in a potential situation that in time could force us to move ; a task I despise. Not to mention the fact that we are just in the past couple of years able to save money and not live pay check to pay check.

The size of the house is non-negotiable. I have a 10 year old son, a 7 year old daughter and a soon to be two year old son. It is unfair to make any of them share a room.
The commute to Denver won't be fun, hopefully he won't have to do it too often.

I really don't want to burst your bubble, but to give you some perspective, there 34 homes for rent in Parker (on craigslist), that have four bedrooms and take dogs. Only 1, is less than or at $1100, and it is a townhouse without a garage. Something "ideal" will cost much more.

Old 01-01-2010, 03:00 AM

Personally, I don't see Craigslist as a very accurate means of determining the cost of living in an area. Also, rent and leases are always negotiable. That's just my my opinion though.

My biggest wonder lately is why there is such a price difference from the Ft. Collins/Greely area to the Parker area. Our housing allowance is considerabley less there and I can find homes that meat my criteria all day long for around $900 a month. Is the economy that much stronger in the Parker area?

I hate to say this but anyone who pays over $1500 a month for rent on a normal sized home is a fool. I don't see how any middle class family can afford that.

As for townhouses, that is basically what military housing is and I refuse to pay for that. I have to have a single family home with a yard and a garage. I refuse to settle for less and I'm sure with enough searching I will find what I am looking for in my price range. Even if it means my husband commuting from Weld County to Parker every day and living with my inlaws until I find it.

Old 01-01-2010, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Personally, I don't see Craigslist as a very accurate means of determining the cost of living in an area. Also, rent and leases are always negotiable. That's just my my opinion though.

My biggest wonder lately is why there is such a price difference from the Ft. Collins/Greely area to the Parker area. Our housing allowance is considerabley less there and I can find homes that meat my criteria all day long for around $900 a month. Is the economy that much stronger in the Parker area?

I hate to say this but anyone who pays over $1500 a month for rent on a normal sized home is a fool. I don't see how any middle class family can afford that.

As for townhouses, that is basically what military housing is and I refuse to pay for that. I have to have a single family home with a yard and a garage. I refuse to settle for less and I'm sure with enough searching I will find what I am looking for in my price range. Even if it means my husband commuting from Weld County to Parker every day and living with my inlaws until I find it.
I didn't say craigslist was a good indicator of cost-of-living, but for me it has been a reliable resource (after weeding out the scams, of course) for finding a place to live, the last three places I've lived in have been found on craigslist.

Some reasons for the price difference: 1) the fact that Parker is still considered metro Denver, which isn't exactly a bastion of cheap housing, 2) the fact that Parker is a commuter suburb for jobs (many high-paying) in the DTC, 3) it's generally regarded as a good place for families.

The economy in metro Denver is great right now, relatively speaking (not that it isn't in Northern Colorado) but so many people want to live in Denver/environs right now, so with that you likely have to pay a premium to live in a "nice area".

I agree that $1500 is a ridiculous amount to pay for housing. I paid $1259 for a large house (pretty much what you are describing) in Central Aurora, which has a less than desirable reputation. Though I enjoyed living there, I learned my lesson when it comes to paying (IMO) high rents. It just isn't worth it. We (me, wife, two boys, 9 & 4) pay $775 for a 2/2 apartment in Denver now. Our life isn't any better or worse than it was in the big house, things balance out, though I understand where you are coming from.

For a middle-class family to comfortably afford $1500/mo rent, they'd better be making ~ $72K/yr net. That could be considered middle class around here.

You might find something in South Aurora in that price range. South Aurora was what Parker is now, 20-30 years ago. I feel sorry for your husband if he's going to have to commute from Weld to Parker. That's almost like my INSANE friend I mentioned earlier.

Unfortunately, CO isn't the easiest place to live the 'American Dream'. You'll have to move a state (or few) east for that.

Old 01-01-2010, 04:45 AM

"Unfortunately, CO isn't the easiest place to live the 'American Dream'. You'll have to move a state (or few) east for that."

Colorado is our childhood home and it's where we want to live now that we are adults and raise our children. Most of our close family is there also. It pains my heart that my children do not have as close of a relationship with their grandparents as they should due to their father's carrier. For us this is our only way with the military to get home and I am willing to make some sacrifices to make it happen for us. Even if it means my husband commuting from Weld County to Parker until we can find affordable housing that meets our near where my husband will be working. Are there any area that are close by are more affordable? Currently my husband has nearly an hour commute and hates it. If you think a commute in Denver is bad try commuting in Okinawa, Japan. Within minutes you would be sure to get a serious case of road rage.

As far as $72K a year net goes; ha ya right. The reality is that my husband has busted his tail daily for nearly 12 years and fought for his country and barely grosses $35k a year. Now granted we do get housing allowances and free medical but in the civilian sector that still doesn't add up to the time he has put in and the many sacrifices he has made concerning his family but that is all together another thread in and of it self.

For my sanity, I think I really need to go home. We are currently in Japan and this has been the worste 13 months of my life emotionally. This is one place I would care to never see again. I guess I will always be a farm girl from Colorado at heart.

Last edited by MissingColoradoNow; 01-01-2010 at 05:06 AM..

Old 01-01-2010, 07:22 AM

Quote:
"Unfortunately, CO isn't the easiest place to live the 'American Dream'. You'll have to move a state (or few) east for that."

Colorado is our childhood home and it's where we want to live now that we are adults and raise our children. Most of our close family is there also. It pains my heart that my children do not have as close of a relationship with their grandparents as they should due to their father's carrier. For us this is our only way with the military to get home and I am willing to make some sacrifices to make it happen for us. Even if it means my husband commuting from Weld County to Parker until we can find affordable housing that meets our near where my husband will be working. Are there any area that are close by are more affordable? Currently my husband has nearly an hour commute and hates it. If you think a commute in Denver is bad try commuting in Okinawa, Japan. Within minutes you would be sure to get a serious case of road rage.

As far as $72K a year net goes; ha ya right. The reality is that my husband has busted his tail daily for nearly 12 years and fought for his country and barely grosses $35k a year. Now granted we do get housing allowances and free medical but in the civilian sector that still doesn't add up to the time he has put in and the many sacrifices he has made concerning his family but that is all together another thread in and of it self.

For my sanity, I think I really need to go home. We are currently in Japan and this has been the worste 13 months of my life emotionally. This is one place I would care to never see again. I guess I will always be a farm girl from Colorado at heart.
Do you have somewhere in Weld to live now?

I would look at South Aurora (zips, 80015, 80014, 80013). I'd put my money on you finding a place there before you found one in Parker.

Even looking at parts of Castle Rock, Centennial, Englewood, Denver, Lakewood, Thornton, Arvada, Westminster, Brighton, etc, would be better than driving in from Weld everyday.

I agree, your husband should get paid more.

You'll get this figured out.

Old 01-01-2010, 01:52 PM

3,460 posts, read 4,792,436 times
Quote:
I am willing to make some sacrifices to make it happen for us. Even if it means my husband commuting from Weld County to Parker until we can find affordable housing
That isn't "you" making a sacrifice. You're simply volunteering to work your husband harder to put you in a fancy neighborhood. If you're truly willing to make a sacrifice, you'll be willing to settle for something you can actually afford to make your husband's life a little nicer.

I can see where you would want the nicer house, but if you insist on Parker you're going to be very house poor on your income. If you're willing to downgrade your expectations a little to accept one of the less expensive suburbs you'll be able to get more house for your money which will benefit the entire family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado