U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 07:41 PM

1,408 posts, read 2,637,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neditate View Post
Interesting... I just read this article in today's Denver Post:
How accurate are ski areas' snow reports? Colorado may be better than most - The Denver Post
The headline in the paper read "Snow kidding: Profs exposed a fudge factor" not the headline on the website...
When I lived in PA, the snow reports from the Poconos were a joke. They'd claim 25-30 inch base and you'd get there and see grass sticking up through the snow. I think they measured it in the pile created by their snowmaking machine.

Regarding "local" conditions, I was at Keystone last week and they are really hard packing the snow with their grooming. Reminds me of eastern skiing. I was at A Basin yesterday and the snow was much softer. They have a few blue runs open that they haven't groomed and they are very tough, especially in flat light.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 08:49 PM

147 posts, read 550,094 times
If you are looking for some great snow conditions, come on down to Wolf Creek. We've had 189 inches YTD (about half our yearly average so far) with a base of 78 inches. Some great powder and 100% of the mountain is open.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:02 PM

1,872 posts, read 5,662,894 times
The conditions definitely aren't keeping people away. I was just out running some errands and I-70 eastbound was jam-packed to a standstill at 5:30pm and 7:30pm today -- zero movement. Heard of 5+ hours of driving from Summit County to Denver. The weather's clear here. Roads are snowpacked, but nothing terrible.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:53 PM

1,150 posts, read 2,296,076 times
Suddenly all of the Back Bowls and BSBasin at Vail are open! Base is still 30" though, quite pathetic. Agreed, still time left for a couple good dumps to turn this situation completely around.

Curious to see what happens. Anyway, cheers to anyone fluffing their way through some powder!

Old 01-08-2010, 10:13 PM

9,817 posts, read 19,062,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by POhdNcrzy View Post
Suddenly all of the Back Bowls and BSBasin at Vail are open! Base is still 30" though, quite pathetic. Agreed, still time left for a couple good dumps to turn this situation completely around.

Curious to see what happens. Anyway, cheers to anyone fluffing their way through some powder!
Everyone says there are rocks sticking up and tree stumps and all the rest. Watch out. Really what they need is a multi day heavy dumping. As long as the jet stream keeps taking the dive to Florida giving them cold in the teens, it's going to cut off a lot of moisture rolling through the western slope to dump snow in big amounts.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:06 PM

This is getting to be quite unusual. I see the base at both Vail and the Beav have consolidated down to back below 30"! A normal to better-than-normal base at Vail in mid-January might be 65 - 85 inches, or almost TRIPLE the current level!

I haven't seen any mention of this over at 9Snooze or DailyShamera, nor even an article discussing concern about what must be a rather low snowpack for next spring's water supplies.

Still agree it could all turn around next week with some roaring Rocky Mountain blizzard action!

P.S. Do you see the bright red bark-beetle-whacked trees all over the place now while you are skiing?

Old 01-15-2010, 12:28 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,159,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by POhdNcrzy View Post
This is getting to be quite unusual. I see the base at both Vail and the Beav have consolidated down to back below 30"! A normal to better-than-normal base at Vail in mid-January might be 65 - 85 inches, or almost TRIPLE the current level!

I haven't seen any mention of this over at 9Snooze or DailyShamera, nor even an article discussing concern about what must be a rather low snowpack for next spring's water supplies.

Still agree it could all turn around next week with some roaring Rocky Mountain blizzard action!

P.S. Do you see the bright red bark-beetle-whacked trees all over the place now while you are skiing?
There is nothing "unusual" about dry winters and drought in Colorado. What is idiotic is the people don't want to accept that serious droughts will happen, and plan accordingly.

As to the media, most of those so-called "journalists" don't know squat about Colorado water, natural resources, or much of anything else of substance. Like most of their readers and viewers, they are city-slicker types who have never spent any time whatsoever trying to understand or deal with natural resource issues. They P & M about how a lack of snowfall affects people's ability to go goof off up on the mountain, which is just about the least of this state's problems if we go into a major drought. Then they will all act just dumb*** surprised if all that beetle-killed timber lights up this summer.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:29 AM

10,881 posts, read 41,303,566 times
We took an aerial tour last Sunday (in spectacular flying conditions!) of the Front Range from the Wyoming border down past the Red Feather lakes area to Boulder, then over Corona Pass to Kremmeling, down to Eagle and by Aspen, then up to Steamboat, over Rabbit Ears Pass, past Walden, and up to Laramie.

Sad to report that the snow cover over much of the high country this year is looking pretty thin so far. Elk tracks seemed to still be in the high country areas, not coming down to lower elevations.

However, we did see a lot of folk still out on snowmobiles and enjoying what snow there was to offer, and the parking lots at the ski areas appeared to be pretty full.

The spread of beetle-kill areas appears worse than ever, lots of very red stands of trees throughout the region. One lightning strike and I don't see how they'll be able to stop a lot of destruction ....

Old 01-22-2010, 10:42 AM

Major snow action on the more southerly of Colorado's ski resorts this week. Notably, Purgatory aka Durango Mtn Resort's base almost doubled in two days from 39" to 70". Well, somebody's gonna see how that settles out! Pray for the red trees!

Old 01-22-2010, 11:00 AM

9,817 posts, read 19,062,182 times
A friend told me something about Vail being down to a pathetic 25 inches. They need a week for it to bucket down every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado