U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 10:16 AM

147 posts, read 549,413 times

Advertisements

Come on down!

Skiers howling for Wolf Creek | wolf, creek, area - Top Stories - Colorado Springs Gazette, CO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 11:46 PM

1,993 posts, read 4,187,460 times
I've got to stop watching 9News and Kathy Sabine gushing about "Lots of powder and GREAT conditions in the Colorado high country!".
I want to smack her.
They must have some agreement with the ski areas to promote it no matter how bad conditions are. She showed some photos of skiers at Loveland so I checked the website. They've received 2" of snow in the past 3 days, 7" for the month. That just doesn't add up to "lots of powder".
Has anyone skied there this week?

Old 02-10-2010, 07:16 AM

1,872 posts, read 5,656,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neditate View Post
She showed some photos of skiers at Loveland so I checked the website. They've received 2" of snow in the past 3 days, 7" for the month. That just doesn't add up to "lots of powder".
While we are definitely hurting for snow, the Loveland pictures are real. Loveland has been opening up new terrain on the Ridge. Porcupine Saddle opened yesterday. Video: Login | Facebook
I skied untracked powder last week at Loveland off the Ridge. But rocks are everywhere. Mandatory rock-hopping to get to the untracked stuff. Got a coreshot coming out at the bottom of Primer Bowl.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:23 AM

1,393 posts, read 2,627,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neditate View Post
I've got to stop watching 9News and Kathy Sabine gushing about "Lots of powder and GREAT conditions in the Colorado high country!".
I want to smack her.
They must have some agreement with the ski areas to promote it no matter how bad conditions are. She showed some photos of skiers at Loveland so I checked the website. They've received 2" of snow in the past 3 days, 7" for the month. That just doesn't add up to "lots of powder".
I was at Keystone last Friday. They had 3 new inches at the base and 5-6 inches up top the night before. Conditions were pretty good on the ungroomed trails, though I had to avoid some rocks and saplings. The groomers were a little better, but still some slick, har-packed spots. I'm not going again until there's some new snow.

Old 02-12-2010, 10:50 AM

87 posts, read 210,794 times
I think Dallas got your missing snow (record 12.5 inches yesterday).

Old 02-12-2010, 12:39 PM

1,993 posts, read 4,187,460 times
They sure did Totally crazy! And NM got it the week before.
Looks like the mountains/ski resorts will be getting some today and over the weekend. Copper Mountain Resort Snow Report & Ski Weather Forecast - Snowforecast.com (http://www.snowforecast.com/coloradofcst/copper.html - broken link)

Old 02-22-2010, 09:25 PM

1,150 posts, read 2,292,751 times
"All of Colorado is snowing today"

Har har. Great dumpings lately! Aspen area resorts have really come around with big dumps abounding.

Snowpack/base readings are solidly up pretty much across the board. Wish I was there to practice my "steep forested mountains deep powder rundowns with interspersed impromptu corpse-pose snow chute slide downs". Just a little backcountry sport I made up. It's really great on peaks where you know the terrain very well.

Okay guys, coreshots, jelloshots, bodyshots, snowthroat, whatever, post your latest Rocky Mountain snowriding observations please...

Old 02-23-2010, 04:53 PM

196 posts, read 483,336 times
Tons of new snow in Monarch last weekend! Great skiing!

Old 02-23-2010, 07:51 PM

79 posts, read 249,115 times
Lots of powder in Telluride! Skied on 13" fresh Saturday and another 11" fresh on yesterday (Monday). The conditions are great. Did have to wait in one 12 minute lift line Saturday morning, but it's been smooth sailing since then.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:22 PM

535 posts, read 1,364,470 times
The snow has shifted south with the El Nino conditions. Thats why the southern mountains are getting a good amount and the northern aren't. If I remember correctly, there's a strengthening of the subtropical jet stream, which is why our storms have been tracking along the NM/CO border, and why the southern states have been hit, like that storm OK had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado