U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 01:24 PM

40 posts, read 94,711 times

Advertisements

i personally think both places would be a bad idea for you unless you an stand the natives in hawaii, and being stuck on an island. you could try and look up washington, oregon, or florida as well, (washington and oregon both have cold-ish climates but usually nothing hitting in the negatives, and when it is windy, its coming from the south, causing it to be a very nice warm windy day.. eastern washington does hit to 100s in the summer though, western is much more mild but alot more rain because if the mountains.) south florida though is very expensive and pushy, and there are hurricanes if you can deal with that.. ive also heard the north carolina is pretty nice as well, but i have no input with that because ive never been there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 01:30 PM

oh btw the little "islands" in washington are to die for imo but expensive. and some good surfing spots as well supposedly (im not sure on that, ive just witnessed them, the surf was pretty good the days i saw it, i dont surf in wa)

Old 01-05-2010, 02:11 PM

2,253 posts, read 5,841,779 times
Wink The right place

A change of location is unlikely to solve your domestic problems, particularly if it involves a compromise neither of you are happy with. However, exploring choices may provide you both with a better sense of your priorities and what each values in life.

If you haven't, you may wish to pose this question on the Hawaii forum as well. If looking there you'll discover any number of mainlanders who liked Hawaii but still ended up returning to the mainland after a few years. While the life may be for you, it certainly isn't for everyone. The costs and difficulties in living there dictate that one really has to love it to make the sacrifices worth it. Shopping is one example, with much better selection and prices on the mainland. But of course you'd probably have a much better time installing solar panels in the balmy trade winds than on a cold, blustery Colorado winter day.

Compared to CT Colorado will probably seem warmer. Lots of sun, little humidity, and weather many skiers enjoy. If working outside however, probably days you'd rather be elsewhere. The biggest reason I can think of not to move to Colorado is that its present population of 5 million is projected to increase to 10 million before 2050. That is seriously messed up, which bespeaks a populace with its priorities way out of balance. Even now there are pending water shortages, related environmental problems obvious in entire forests dead and dying. And they want to keep growing at all costs. In just this one respect you'll probably find citizens in Hawaii have a more balanced and holistic outlook on their land and life. Not that there are not factions on the islands that wouldn't cover them entirely with condos if they could, only more than a few others would and do strongly oppose such outrages.

As others have spoken of, the west coast of this nation enjoys a rather salubrious climate. It ranges from somewhat hot and arid in southern California to wet and misty in Washington. Due the humidity, places such as Seattle can feel colder than one might expect on a 40 day, but temperatures on the west side of the Cascade mountains rarely dip below freezing, and aside from being often wet one will find the weather temperate. Due a lot of overcast days in winter it isn't for everyone, but of course California is a different enchilada.

Fact is, like with marriages, there are a lot of pros and cons anyplace one goes. With some locals, however, generally showing more promise. Places such as Los Angeles were and could be near paradises. With presently far too large a populace that promise has dimmed somewhat, and one would have to factor in the resultant problems into the equation. So what it comes down to is what you personally like and value. Possibly best derived through a lot of honest soul searching. In the end a place is the right place because it feels that way.

Old 01-05-2010, 03:46 PM

1,331 posts, read 4,416,903 times
My youngest son was born in Colorado.
He is now stationed in Hawaii (after 1 1/2 years of training in Pensacola, Florida).....he is now out to sea thwarting pirates but......he longs for the day to get back to Colorado!!! That should tell you something!!
Typical young man longing to see the world and live near the ocean!!
When he is on leave,..he always says " I forget how beautiful and majestic Colorado and the mountains are!" He is only 22 (23 in March).

In 2007..he visited us in Vero Beach before he went to Hawaii. He had been in Pensacola for 1 1/2 years. Anyway, we lived directly on the ocean on a private beach. He was not impressed!!!
We lived there for 1 year and came back to our original home here in Colorado!! I missed it here soooo much!!!
My oldest son lived in Rhode Island for 8 years. He thought we were nuts moving to Florida!! He is a Colorado guy at heart!! He is now in Antarctica and although he loves it there and, gave up his professor job at a University,.....he, like his brother...longs for Colorado!!
They both have traveled tons in their lives and,..Colorado it is!!!
BTW...they are my only children so I can't say if I had had more, there would be different opinions....they are a decade apart in age and are very much opposites.
So there you go...I'd say Colorado for you (Alone!!) JK!!

Old 01-05-2010, 04:34 PM

2,437 posts, read 7,112,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms.rain View Post
Don't we all dream of Hawaii?
NO.

I have plenty of family and some friends there and have been to almost all of the islands many times and really have NO DESIRE to live there. Here are some of the main reasons why:

1) Hot and humid weather... sure winters are nice and warm, but you pay it back in spades in the summer. ugg. Hard for me to sleep like that.

2) ridiculously stupid high cost of living... And I'm not even talking about housing (which is of course exorbitant if you're anywhere near the beach)... Try researching their basic grocery prices if you don't believe me. Talkin' $6 for a gallon of milk, a lot more than that for things that are out of season and/or not produced on the islands.

3) Lousy jobs, poor services. Everyone runs on island time which is great if you're on vacation and just want to lay around all the time. But if you want to get some work done, forget it, especially if you have to depend on local labor for it. The goos news to that is, if you want to start your own srvice business there, all you need to do to really stand out from the pack is show up on time and finish the job.

4) RAMPANT Racism... the worst I've encountered in the states, and that includes my trip to eastern KY hill country. It's usually not violent or anything (although I did get a knife pulled on me in Honolulu) I have heard, first hand, the parents of my family's kids schoolmates tell their children not to talk to ours because they are 'haolies' (meaning white, outsiders).

5) Obnoxiously Crowded. A Bazillion tourists everywhere, especially in the wintertime, even in those 'secret, out of the way' spots. And I'm not just talkinng about Oahu, either.

That said, the warm blue waters of the south pacific are magnificent indeed and the paddling, surfing, snorkeling and diving are hard to beat anywhere in the world. But that just makes it a fun place to visit, especially if you have family and friend there. maybe you could talk your family into moving there instead and just go visit them a couple times a year.

Is this off topic? Perhaps. But I present it all as a possible reason TO move to Colorado (or just about anywhere else, for that matter).

Old 01-05-2010, 06:24 PM

726 posts, read 1,814,555 times
don't move to colorado if your wife's boyfriend is moving here! What about California? Sure it's expensive but not as bad as Hawaii (in parts). You would be closer for vacations to Hawaii. I feel for you and wish you well.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
NO.

I have plenty of family and some friends there and have been to almost all of the islands many times and really have NO DESIRE to live there. Here are some of the main reasons why:

1) Hot and humid weather... sure winters are nice and warm, but you pay it back in spades in the summer. ugg. Hard for me to sleep like that.

2) ridiculously stupid high cost of living... And I'm not even talking about housing (which is of course exorbitant if you're anywhere near the beach)... Try researching their basic grocery prices if you don't believe me. Talkin' $6 for a gallon of milk, a lot more than that for things that are out of season and/or not produced on the islands.

3) Lousy jobs, poor services. Everyone runs on island time which is great if you're on vacation and just want to lay around all the time. But if you want to get some work done, forget it, especially if you have to depend on local labor for it. The goos news to that is, if you want to start your own srvice business there, all you need to do to really stand out from the pack is show up on time and finish the job.

4) RAMPANT Racism... the worst I've encountered in the states, and that includes my trip to eastern KY hill country. It's usually not violent or anything (although I did get a knife pulled on me in Honolulu) I have heard, first hand, the parents of my family's kids schoolmates tell their children not to talk to ours because they are 'haolies' (meaning white, outsiders).

5) Obnoxiously Crowded. A Bazillion tourists everywhere, especially in the wintertime, even in those 'secret, out of the way' spots. And I'm not just talkinng about Oahu, either.

That said, the warm blue waters of the south pacific are magnificent indeed and the paddling, surfing, snorkeling and diving are hard to beat anywhere in the world. But that just makes it a fun place to visit, especially if you have family and friend there. maybe you could talk your family into moving there instead and just go visit them a couple times a year.

Is this off topic? Perhaps. But I present it all as a possible reason TO move to Colorado (or just about anywhere else, for that matter).
you forgot to add that on some of the smaller ones, people go 90 and love to egg outsiders cars.. and never let you through a one lane bridge..

Old 01-06-2010, 06:41 AM

794 posts, read 1,577,347 times
I would suggest northern CA or Oregon for the outdoors aspect. Definitely don't move to Colorado if you want to work on your marriage (I wish you the best, btw). You'll be "putting the ball in someone else's court," so to speak and that's not what you need.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:52 AM

2,437 posts, read 7,112,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brindlexpitt View Post
you forgot to add that on some of the smaller ones, people go 90 and love to egg outsiders cars.. and never let you through a one lane bridge..
Oh, yea. Never experienced that myself but I don't doubt it.

Hawaii has some really serious social problems that most tourists and dreamers never realize. It certainly is a beautiful place though... Can't take that away from it.

Old 01-06-2010, 12:02 PM

137 posts, read 405,523 times
If you move here, you will hate it and her. If you move there, she will hate it and you. Not because either place is better but because of the place both your heads are in. The fact that your wife's boyfriend sold her on moving to Colorado is a pretty big flag, a big red one. There are children involved so you both need to figure out what works best for everyone, not your whim or her whim. Best of luck to you, a marriage counselor might be more helpful than we ever could be! I say this with a warm heart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado