U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 06:48 AM

14,131 posts, read 26,303,036 times

Advertisements

Harsh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 06:57 AM

Estimates are it's grown to a little over 50,000 now. Just for Gamana's benefit the population of Rappahannnock County was about 6,100 in 1980 and it's now 7,100 so not a lot of growth, mainly because of the 25 acre minimum. I think there's more cattle or apple trees there than people. Perhaps La Plata should have imposed a minimum acreage limit (40?) to limit growth and water use.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:40 AM

118 posts, read 268,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Another case where a zillion transplants wind up destroying the very qualities they were looking for when they moved there . . .
this is off topic, but i've been curious for some time now...did you evolve from a species that originated in CO, or do you have "transplants" in your heritage as well?

Old 01-05-2010, 11:28 AM

transplant = anyone who arrived after you did.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:50 AM

Hierarchy:

Indigenous Indians
Multi-Generational natives
Natives
Transplants from all states except CA and TX
Transplants from CA and TX
Tourists

Old 01-05-2010, 12:02 PM

13 posts, read 29,757 times
Default Coal Power plants locations - For those who care to know.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...1&d=1262714534
Attached Thumbnails
Second thoughts about Durango due to pollution-64-coal-fired_map.gif  

Old 01-05-2010, 12:03 PM

631 posts, read 1,360,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Hierarchy:

Indigenous Indians
Multi-Generational natives
Natives
Transplants from all states except CA and TX
Transplants from CA and TX
Tourists
According to this list looks like I'm 4th

Old 01-05-2010, 12:07 PM

631 posts, read 1,360,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamana View Post
I applaud Oregon, Vermont, and Maine for not having any.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:53 AM

4,900 posts, read 8,924,247 times
Quote:
Jazzlover,

Once again, I thank you for taking the time to post all this valuable info. The ranching heritage is exactly why i am looking at Colorado first. We do have a ranch in the Dominican Republic with horses and dairy cows but nothing huge. We practice natural horsemanship. We are really looking at Colorado for a place to set up a horse ranch for breeding, training and trail riding. The dude ranch aspect could be an option down the road but more oriented towards training than tourism.
The other main reason we are looking at Colorado is the presence of alternative families doing homeschooling. I am not sure about all the other states you mentioned.
What about west of Boulder?
We will be exploring for 2 months in April and May. Just give me a starting point and a direction and I will try to find paradise... :-)
You're better off looking at New Mexico. Much smaller population. Northern New Mexico mountains are less developed. It is written that Santa Fe has the cleanest air of any capital city in the country.

Personally, I feel your impression of SW Colorado is wrong. You're reading some literature written by biased environmentalists, and you're blowing it all out of proportion. Entiendes?

Here's the deal: Nowhere in the United States will you find pure, clean water except in a handful of isolated, mountain streams. There are pollution issues with all natural waters in the U.S. Does this mean you despair and avoid all bodies of water? No. You have to be reasonable and understand that not all pollution and contamination issues are going to affect you.

For example, there are many lakes in Colorado with mercury advisories. This doesn't mean the lakes are untouchable. It means it's still okay to eat fish, but you limit your intake, and in certain cases (like pregantn women) should avoid certain species that are more likely to accumulate larger levels of toxin. I myself catch and eat fish from these lakes.

Do you see what I'm saying? Just because a contaminant has been found in an area, does not mean the place is completely unusable and worthless.

You must accept this, or you will be unable to find any place in the U.S. where you will be able to ranch. There are no pollution-free locations in this country.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:58 AM

4,900 posts, read 8,924,247 times
Quote:
it looks beautiful. I checked Rappahannock and you are correct, no VOC and Nox at all. All clean air. It is pretty rare in the central eastern part of the US.
thanks a lot for the info. I am going to look into it.

The air might be clean.
But what about the water? I seem to recall those parts of Virginia have seen a lot of mining and deforestation. These things always pollute the water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado