U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 05:32 PM

13 posts, read 29,757 times

Advertisements

I have been researching for a place to relocate my family. We lived on South Beach for 14 years and now on a ranch in Dominican Republic. To summarize in few words, our goal is a place with 4 seasons, land and horse trails, eco friendly town, within 2 hours of large city, alternative/homeschooling families and enough sun to be off the grid.

We initially picked Asheville NC but the environmental concerns there made it a no-go.

Looking at South of Colorado, we found Durango/Mancos. It has just about everything we are looking for.

I started to do an in depth research and to my surprise, like Asheville, it seems like the coal industry implanted in the NW of NM is affecting the Durango area quite a bit (Frequent haze, high ozone, acid rain, mercury in rivers and basins, ...etc). The situation seems to be getting worse since 2003.

Is it really getting worse?
Are many water wells been tainted as it is mentioned in articles?
Is the haze you see in pictures really constant?
Anybody checking the ozone levels on a daily basis in Durango?
What about the Mercury in the rivers?

I would really appreciate comments from knowledgeable people, not "i just looked outside my window and the sky is blue" type of answer.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 07:55 PM

14,131 posts, read 26,303,036 times
This might help answer your questions:

http://co.laplata.co.us/publications/AirQuality.htm

Old 01-04-2010, 12:38 PM

Cava1990

Thank you for the link. The Nox and VOC maps at the end of the report are enough for me to cross out Durango.

Any other town in CO with similar criteria that I could start doing research on?

Old 01-04-2010, 01:22 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,620,588 times
Good grief! The air their is fine!

Old 01-04-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehiDenver View Post
Good grief! The air their is fine!
I always thought it wasn't too bad in Asheville either. Never heard anyone complain. You want bad air look at inland CA.

Old 01-04-2010, 02:14 PM

4,900 posts, read 8,924,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamana View Post
I started to do an in depth research and to my surprise, like Asheville, it seems like the coal industry implanted in the NW of NM is affecting the Durango area quite a bit (Frequent haze, high ozone, acid rain, mercury in rivers and basins, ...etc). The situation seems to be getting worse since 2003.
you've got to be joking. I've never seen the words "Durango" and "pollution" used together and never would have imagined it. I've never seen any issues like that when I've stayed in Durango.

Quote:
Is it really getting worse?
Are many water wells been tainted as it is mentioned in articles?
Is the haze you see in pictures really constant?
What haze? Seems to me like you're reading some over-the-top nonsense.

Quote:
I would really appreciate comments from knowledgeable people, not "i just looked outside my window and the sky is blue" type of answer.
That's better than blindly believing some scare-tactics publication written by people with an agenda.

Old 01-04-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamana View Post
within 2 hours of large city
Of course, Durango doesn't meet this criterion either.

Old 01-04-2010, 05:09 PM

Thank you all for your input. I have now done enough research to know that there is air pollution in La Plata county. Without going through an extensive length of links, i would refer to the link sent by cava1990 above. On page 68, the two maps represent VOC and Nox levels (the two Ozone precursor) .

How come La plata is so high compare to the rest of SW CO? Hours of traffic jams on its highways????
of course not, only source can be the NW NM coal power plants and the Ute reserves oil/NG drilling.

Again, i was hoping to hear from locals that are aware of the ongoing issues in order to get a feel of where La Plata county is heading.

Old 01-04-2010, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I always thought it wasn't too bad in Asheville either. Never heard anyone complain.
Are you serious?!? Research this Forum and you will certainly change your mind.

Old 01-04-2010, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Of course, Durango doesn't meet this criterion either.
correct. Albuquerque is a bit more than 3 hours. but 2 hours would of course be better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado