U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 03:54 PM

540 posts, read 1,123,862 times

Advertisements

Just wondering what Coloradoans thought of Buena Vista. I know it is aprox 8,000 feet, and there are fourteeners around. Looks like a very nice spot for fun on the water, but not sure about living there. The winters are probably brutal, huh? Most likely I could not handle the altitude anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2007, 04:35 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,843,849 times
What water? There are a few reservoirs up around Leadville and the Arkansas River (which has about a zillion rafting companies taking tours on it in the summer). That's about it for sizeable water around Buena Vista. For around 8,000 feet, the winter's aren't that bad in "Byoonie" (that's what the locals call it). Not a tremendous amount of snow. Buena Vista is actually fairly arid.

As far as living there, not a lot of jobs (if you need to work) and real estate is fairly pricey--not as bad as some areas in mountain Colorado, though. Probably the biggest employer in town is the state correctional facility there. Not a lot of shopping there--most people go to Salida for Wally-world, or to Denver or Colorado Springs for major shopping.

Old 06-03-2007, 05:25 PM

50 posts, read 294,629 times
It depends on what you're after but if you want a small town in an incredible mountain setting BV is great. I lived in nearby Salida (paradise, trust me) for several years before I was economically eliminated. Chaffee County just feels great to me. Salida is about 1,000 feet lower and has a little milder winter than BV and BV has a little milder summer. It can get hot (but with the low humidity you really can't complain, especially if you're from the land of humidity like I am--Arkansas) but overall it's probably the best weather I've ever lived in. The mountain sun and low humidity is magnificent, even in winter. BV gets a little bit more snow than Salida but until you experience sunshine (and there's plenty of it in Chaffee County) at high altitudes you won't believe how mild it can feel in the middle of winter. Depends on what you're use to but I'd say the biggest offering for BV area is the outdoors...I'd say shopping is adequate for the essentials, and Co Spgs. only a couple of hours away for more. BV seems to bustle pretty well (small town bustling though) in the summer with tourism...lots of rafting, camping, etc. Work and low wages can be a problem but there are plenty of other riches...Good luck.

Old 06-03-2007, 05:35 PM

431 posts, read 2,564,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post
It depends on what you're after but if you want a small town in an incredible mountain setting BV is great. I lived in nearby Salida (paradise, trust me) for several years before I was economically eliminated. Chaffee County just feels great to me. Salida is about 1,000 feet lower and has a little milder winter than BV and BV has a little milder summer. It can get hot (but with the low humidity you really can't complain, especially if you're from the land of humidity like I am--Arkansas) but overall it's probably the best weather I've ever lived in. The mountain sun and low humidity is magnificent, even in winter. BV gets a little bit more snow than Salida but until you experience sunshine (and there's plenty of it in Chaffee County) at high altitudes you won't believe how mild it can feel in the middle of winter. Depends on what you're use to but I'd say the biggest offering for BV area is the outdoors...I'd say shopping is adequate for the essentials, and Co Spgs. only a couple of hours away for more. BV seems to bustle pretty well (small town bustling though) in the summer with tourism...lots of rafting, camping, etc. Work and low wages can be a problem but there are plenty of other riches...Good luck.
I love Buenie.(as the locals call it) Always have In fact I love the whole Arkansas Valley from its beginning above Leadville thro Canon City. I am not a lover of the plains but many are. Waring tho. It is a small town and it is hard to find a cup of coffee after 10 o'clock. Sidewalks are rolled up about then in most small towns unless you are a bar flie.

Old 06-03-2007, 09:35 PM

291 posts, read 1,919,395 times
The setting in BV is spectactular, but as a town, it has little to offer. There are few good restaurants, one or two bars that are classified more as "Cowboy bars", and you must go to Salida for most goods. There's a nice outdoorsy sporting goods store there.

I love to camp in the area and play in the river. As much as I'd like to, I couldn't live there. Salida, oh yes. Even Leadville has more going for it, despite being treeless, cold and still a mining town. They even have a great skiing area.

BV is beautiful...to visit.

Old 06-04-2007, 07:06 PM

540 posts, read 1,123,862 times
Thanks for the replies and info. Sounds like it is too quiet! Will visit one day soon though!

Old 06-04-2007, 10:28 PM

1 posts, read 9,773 times
Post What you have read is correct as far as it goes.

Having lived in Colorado for over 45 years, and having participated in several search-&-rescue missions statewide, I have extensive knowledge of the so-called high-country. Bunnie provides a couple of small truck-stops just East of the junction of U.S.24 and U.S.285 and West of Trout Creek Pass, at a wide spot known as Johnson Village. This is also the point of access to the correction facility mentioned previously. Cottonwood Pass, a few miles West of Bunnie is snowed shut in the Winter months, but leads to some of the best hunting and fishing in the Summer months, and would be the most direct way to get to Crested Butte ski area in the Summer months, but in the Winter you need to travel West from Salida on U.S.50 past the Monarch Pass ski area, over to Gunnison, and then North on CO-135 to get to Crested Butte. Could the thread starter send me a private message concerning living/retiring down in Florida somewhere, near The Villages or someplace else you recommend. Send your comments to sorensenswnebr@netscape.net at your convenience. Thanks, - Dansk1 (have a small house at Stratton, Nebraska I would sell)

Old 06-05-2007, 09:24 AM

22 posts, read 81,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dansk1 View Post
Having lived in Colorado for over 45 years, and having participated in several search-&-rescue missions statewide, I have extensive knowledge of the so-called high-country. Bunnie provides a couple of small truck-stops just East of the junction of U.S.24 and U.S.285 and West of Trout Creek Pass, at a wide spot known as Johnson Village. This is also the point of access to the correction facility mentioned previously. Cottonwood Pass, a few miles West of Bunnie is snowed shut in the Winter months, but leads to some of the best hunting and fishing in the Summer months, and would be the most direct way to get to Crested Butte ski area in the Summer months, but in the Winter you need to travel West from Salida on U.S.50 past the Monarch Pass ski area, over to Gunnison, and then North on CO-135 to get to Crested Butte. Could the thread starter send me a private message concerning living/retiring down in Florida somewhere, near The Villages or someplace else you recommend. Send your comments to sorensenswnebr@netscape.net at your convenience. Thanks, - Dansk1 (have a small house at Stratton, Nebraska I would sell)
Sorry but I don't think the natives or locals or anyone else ever called it BUNNIE as in BUNNY. Buena is Spanish for Beautiful but few say it with the correct Spanish accent. We say it as a long U as saying the letters name. NIE as knee. Buenie, Even when we write it --it is Buenie---Correct is Buena Vista--Beautiful View. And it certainly is --especially coming in from the east on Hi way 24 and you top the hill and look at the valley framed behind with more mts, it is a beautiful view.

Last edited by canontiger; 06-05-2007 at 09:53 AM..

Old 08-27-2007, 01:59 PM

16,522 posts, read 20,966,979 times
Danski and Nadine are correctamundo!Beeune,Byunee, however you pronounce it. One thing about iy;when you hear it pronounced it that way you know you are talking to a lifelong resident. Florida Native 2- it has 4 seasons, not 2 like Denver does. The most awesome real estate inthe main 48 states-Buena Vista to Salida.

Old 08-28-2007, 07:21 AM

151 posts, read 665,005 times
With a fair number of pleasant exceptions, BV folks in general takes pride in having a small-minded small-town attitude, suspicious of strangers even though it would be a ghost town without all those "zillion rafting companies" and the prison. The best and brightest of every high school class head outta town at the first opportunity, leaving the rest to breed and brood.

It is true that the astonishingly beautiful setting is drawing a fair number of retirees as well as boomers who can telecommute or are living off their investments, so there is some growth -- a bigger grocery store, a new Baptist church, and 2 new banks. But the medical facilities are seriously lacking, and it still has just one stop light. And yes, they do roll up the sidewalks at (or before) 10pm, except in front of the bars.

Winter's are milder than in many other mountain towns. There's usually not much snow in the valley, although there's LOTS in the surrounding mountains which can make getting to and from the Front Range (including Colo. Springs and Denver) problamatical from October to June. The wind blows a lot .. which is refreshing and cooling in the summers, but bitter and battering in the winter.

And I hear it as "bee-u-nee" LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado