U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 02:38 PM

12,102 posts, read 20,348,297 times

Advertisements

When it comes to medical care Pueblo is the hub for Southern Colorado and Pueblo has two large hospitals, Saint Mary Corwin Medical Center and Parkview Medical Center, both level 2 trauma centers.

I would say overall the officers are good in Pueblo I have not had any really major issues with them. In fact they are great with gay pride and work with us.

As far as libraries Pueblo has a great system and in fact I think the main library is much better then most in Colorado. Here is a picture:

The main library

This is a picture of the CSU library and is undergoing a $24 million dollar renovation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 05:05 PM

299 posts, read 787,644 times
Like another poster said, Joseppie is the biggest cheerleader for Pueblo on this site, and will not have much negative to say about the city. You should read what other posters say so that you can get a clearer picture of the city.I am currently a student at CSU-Pueblo. I will be graduating in May of 2011, and I can't wait for that day to come so that I can get the hell out of here.

Pueblo is a blue collar city that is 25 years behind the times. As you may have read, the city was built on the back of the CF&I steel mill, and since the mill has decreased its amount of production and its labor force, the city has tried to find ways to re-invent itself, but not many of those efforts have been successfull.

If you are able to find a well-paying job here, good for you. But if you were to ever lose that job, you would be in trouble, especially if you have a college degree. The job market here is pitiful right now. I was laid off from my job in February of 2009, and I haven't been able to find a permanent position anywhere. The majority of the city's workforce is employed by either the school district, some sort of skilled trade, or at one of the city's numerous call centers, which only pay their employees $8 or $9 an hour.

The city has almost no social life. I am saying this as a college student. Sure, we may have more bars per capita than any city in America, but every bar you go to "belongs" to a certain group of people, and is full of drama.

Puebloans are not the type of people who I consider "Down to Earth." Many people here associate themselves with people who are of the same social status and live in certain neighborhoods. People from the south side of town in particular are very rude when compared to people from other parts of the city. I have experienced this at church, work, and at college here in town.

I really don't have an answer for how the city accepts gay people. If you are out in public and are visibly dressed like an openly gay man, you will catch some dirty looks and people will try to not associate themselves with you.

The city has an enormous Hispanic population, and the Hispanic culture is starting to destroy the city. You may be used to this since you have lived in the southwest for so long, but Pueblo Hispanics are a breed of their own.

Pueblo is also the epitome of 50+ years of a welfare state. About 30% of the city's population receives some of their income from some sort of government-run financial assistance program, and an even higher percentage qualifies for food stamps. There are a lot of ignorant people who live in the city as well.

Here is a link to an article in the local newspaper that outlines some of the city's problems. You can find more in-depth articles on the paper's website.
The Pueblo Chieftain Online :: Broken: Pueblo's problems

Bottom line: Think really long and really hard before moving to Pueblo. Let me know if there's anything else you want to know.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:51 AM

4 posts, read 6,232 times
Default Well, I might be ..

doing a relo to Pueblo, CO as well. I've perused alot of the forums here and I am pretty sure the family will love it. Some of the posts are a bit older and would like maybe a few "updates"? I guess the battle between Pueblo and W. Pueblo is still going on. I mean, by this, I've seen people say they LOVE W. Pueblo and others state is it "ugly". ? ? ?
Sounds like some of the future projects, Energy Park and Pueblo Spring ranch, in the city and county are going to bolster Pueblo's economy / growth for quite a long time
I will be there tomorrow to check the place out. Staying for a few days.

Take care

Old 01-26-2010, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlb100 View Post
doing a relo to Pueblo, CO as well. I've perused alot of the forums here and I am pretty sure the family will love it. Some of the posts are a bit older and would like maybe a few "updates"? I guess the battle between Pueblo and W. Pueblo is still going on. I mean, by this, I've seen people say they LOVE W. Pueblo and others state is it "ugly". ? ? ?
Sounds like some of the future projects, Energy Park and Pueblo Spring ranch, in the city and county are going to bolster Pueblo's economy / growth for quite a long time
I will be there tomorrow to check the place out. Staying for a few days.

Take care
Pueblo and Pueblo West get along for the most part just your typical issues you see between the suburbs and the main city but to be honost not as much as you see in other larger cities.

That being said Pueblo West is a nice area to live its just a little spread out IMO. They could of done a better job of devloping it but it was devloped back in the 1960's when little thought was given to urbanism and how to devlop cities. That is why you saw many nice buildings torn down just to be replaced by parking lots and 60's tastic buildings. As far as Pueblo West my mom lives there and likes it so I would just suggest you come our for a visit and look around. If you want to I can give some good places to look at in the city or Pueblo West....

Some updates on the projects around Pueblo:

ECONOMIC ENGINE

The company also continues to talk up the benefits of the new plant, including its importance on future economic development of the Pueblo region. Black Hills executive Stuart Wevik notes that reliability and price of power "is one of the highest priorities in attracting new companies."

The link: http://www.chieftain.com/articles/20...3245368916.txt

The latest on the energy park east of Pueblo:

Other projects include, Energy Neutral which removes energy demands from homes and businesses (www.energyneutralinc.com), Colorado Energy Park (nuclear and solar generation), and International Reactors, which assists developing countries with nuclear reactors for power generation, production of potable water and other suitable applications

The link: http://nuclearstreet.com/blogs/nucle...ite-01264.aspx

Finally I just want to add Pueblo is far from perfect and we have had major economic issues since the 1980's but we have been successful. Just compare Pueblo's economy to the cities in the "rust belt" to prove my point. Even our steel mill is operational now and not sitting empty like many of the ones back east plus we have new companies moving in all the time.

Last edited by Josseppie; 01-26-2010 at 06:12 PM..

Old 08-08-2010, 08:48 PM

8 posts, read 31,287 times
I have lived in Pueblo for about 15 years and moved here from Albuquerque. A few thoughts.....
1. I realize this is a late post, and maybe you have already moved.
2. The city is behind the times when it comes to being gay friendly. Our local newspaper has a monopoly and is owned by a bunch of righ wing Republicans. There take on the gay community is to focus on the extremes---i.e. cross dressers, etc.. and to ignore the fact that most of the gay community are very much like the average Puebloan.
3. Unfortunately, many professionals (at the hospitals) and hospital employees still make gay jokes as if it is politically acceptable.
4. The city had a very long way to go before it would be considered gay friendly. I am possibly leaving because of this issue.
5. It is not a progressive city. It tends to believe in "what happens in Pueblo stays in Pueblo", and much of the politics are dominated by a few well established and corrupt families.
6. It is hotter than hell in the summer. There is very little humidity which is nice. The growing season is end of May through early October.
Hope this helps.

Old 08-09-2010, 01:59 PM

I am openly gay in Pueblo and I find Pueblo to be gay friendly. I have never had a issue here. Now it is hard to meet guys here but that is a different topic.

Old 08-09-2010, 04:29 PM

529 posts, read 1,137,966 times
To the poster about 'Spanish' style food as it is referred to in Northern NM and Southern CO.
Pueblo has it's own styles and flavors on the classics as well as their own chili's grown near there. I have some friends who tell me about the blends made to create red chili. I've been told there are some good spanish-style resturants in Pueblo, I don't know where they are. Maybe Josse could let you know where they are.

Old 08-09-2010, 05:17 PM

I personally like Cactus Flower on the north side but here is a thread about the Mexican food restaurants in Pueblo:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/colorado/295807-pueblo-colorado-mexican-food.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or