U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 01:12 PM

4,641 posts, read 9,145,374 times

Advertisements

OP, I was a ski bum in Steamboat back in the 70's. Worked in a condo rental office and taught skiing. I was in my early 20's and didn't mind living 5 people in a one-bedroom to make ends meet and be able to afford the rent. Worked at a restaurant to be able to have one good meal a day. It was great for three years, but then I had to move on to the real world.

I've heard housing is even worse now. People drive 50+ miles to their ski resort jobs because housing is so expensive. Personally I wouldn't want to do that during a snowstorm.

My suggestion is to come out late summer/early fall in the shoulder season, after the summer workers have left and before the winter workers arrive. You MAY be able to find some affordable housing and get leads on jobs. Probably the best place to look is Dillon/Silverthorne because you have access to Keystone, Breckenridge, and Copper Mountain from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 01:48 PM

109 posts, read 236,398 times
Ski towns are rediculously overpriced so I wouldnt recomend it unless you have money. If so Vail is my favorite. It is very diverse and you will meet people from all around the world and plenty of celebrates. plus the skiing at vail is unmatched.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:19 PM

8 posts, read 20,442 times
"I keep finding in life there are trade offs for everything."

Amen to that, I totally agree with you. I am not expecting to have a Shangri-la in any place in life anywhere. I understand that everything in life comes at a price. I've lived super hard for the past 5 years and worked my a$$ off to get what I have now have. Don't get me wrong, I am by no means rich, but I have some coin saved up. Judging my some of your comments, it might not even be in my best interest to work some low paying job 40 hours/week. I need some structure, but I would be perfecting happy working 20/hrs week doing whatever and skiing the rest of the time. I don't plan on being there for years on end....a couple of Winter Seasons is all I'm really looking for. Figure 2 Seasons from Nov - April is 12 total months. I know it' gonna be expensive, and I will lose my little nest egg, but in my opinion doing what you're passionate about in this life while you still can is worth any amount of money. There are plenty of years left where I can sit in my cube and make money...it's not that I hate my life, I actually love my life, it's just that when I look back on my life when I'm 80 years old, I want to say that I did what I could in this life to make myself happy and create lasting memories...not a list of things I wished I would have done.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:56 PM

9,817 posts, read 19,055,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustabeans View Post
"I keep finding in life there are trade offs for everything."

Amen to that, I totally agree with you. I am not expecting to have a Shangri-la in any place in life anywhere. I understand that everything in life comes at a price. I've lived super hard for the past 5 years and worked my a$$ off to get what I have now have. Don't get me wrong, I am by no means rich, but I have some coin saved up. Judging my some of your comments, it might not even be in my best interest to work some low paying job 40 hours/week. I need some structure, but I would be perfecting happy working 20/hrs week doing whatever and skiing the rest of the time. I don't plan on being there for years on end....a couple of Winter Seasons is all I'm really looking for. Figure 2 Seasons from Nov - April is 12 total months. I know it' gonna be expensive, and I will lose my little nest egg, but in my opinion doing what you're passionate about in this life while you still can is worth any amount of money. There are plenty of years left where I can sit in my cube and make money...it's not that I hate my life, I actually love my life, it's just that when I look back on my life when I'm 80 years old, I want to say that I did what I could in this life to make myself happy and create lasting memories...not a list of things I wished I would have done.
Yeah I say go for it.

Despite being partially from Colorado, I never got to live there growing up. So after college being stuck knowing what I really wanted to do but not having any way to get there yet, I thought well I always wanted to live in the Colorado mountains. So I found a job in Vail which turned out to be a good employer and had some great times. That period of my life naturally came to an end and those experiences helped direct me into my "dream job", where I am now.

I think if you watch your expenses you should be able to break even. I will PM you my old employer as they hire for every winter and have ski passes and all that with flexible hours.

What might surprise you if you stay year round is how nice the summer is. It's a bit more relaxed and there is tons to do with nice weather. The saying is people come for the winter and stay for the summer.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:40 PM

2,212 posts, read 4,343,400 times
Go for it!! I did and never regretted it....moved to Aspen, got a bartending gig making tons of $$$, worked 4 days/week, got a season pass and loved every day of it. The one thing I would strongly urge is don't wait until November to move. Do it at the beginning of October at the latest or you may never find a place to live plus you can scope out the town and get some applications in early before everyone shows up. In '93 an average one bedroom in Aspen was around $2000/mo but there is some nice affordable housing for people who work in Pitkin County. I think it was around $850 /mo for a 1 bedroom. But they were only available from October to around May and generally sold out within a couple of days. I'm guessing other ski areas have similar deals.

Old 01-27-2010, 12:08 AM

7 posts, read 21,432 times
Ahh yet another wanting to "live the dream" . You will soon find out that skiing will become secondary because you will be fighting to make ends meet . it becomes a "vicious circle". I live in breckenridge and as I write this post 6 close freinds have yet to get their season pass (day passes are now $94),they have come here to ski/ride but they just cant afford it...jobs have been tough to come by (and keep) over the last couple of years. You may have coin now ,but by the time breckenridge (or any other high-cost-of-living ski town) gets done with you wont be able to save money for a bus ride back home. Ski/resort towns are great places to visit ...not so great places to live. Dont let your love for skiing cloud your good sense...it will set you back lightyears. Just my opinion...

Old 01-27-2010, 12:12 PM

9,817 posts, read 19,055,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleEEE View Post
Ahh yet another wanting to "live the dream" . You will soon find out that skiing will become secondary because you will be fighting to make ends meet . it becomes a "vicious circle". I live in breckenridge and as I write this post 6 close freinds have yet to get their season pass (day passes are now $94),they have come here to ski/ride but they just cant afford it...jobs have been tough to come by (and keep) over the last couple of years. You may have coin now ,but by the time breckenridge (or any other high-cost-of-living ski town) gets done with you wont be able to save money for a bus ride back home. Ski/resort towns are great places to visit ...not so great places to live. Dont let your love for skiing cloud your good sense...it will set you back lightyears. Just my opinion...
I'd agree. I never skied one time in 8 years. Too busy working and not enough time to learn how to.

For most of the people I saw go just for the skiing, the most they could manage was about 2 seasons before the financial realities crushed them. They worked just enough to keep going and to allow time to ski but eventually you have to go get a real job.

Still if you really love skiing, then it's not a bad thing to do for a year. We only go around once, so might as well enjoy life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or