U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think Colorado tends to look down on Pueblo?
Yes 15 53.57%
No 8 28.57%
Not Sure 5 17.86%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-08-2010, 11:51 AM

1,312 posts, read 6,746,870 times

Advertisements

From a native perspective, I don't find any parts of Pueblo attractive to live in for a number of reasons. Location is a huge part of it. Other than the River Walk, it's also not a pretty city at all.

My parents' best friends lived there and we'd go and stay when I was a kid so from a long-term perspective, even as a kid it didn't seem to have much to offer other than the State Fair.

As an adult, If I were to move south of C Springs, it would be Cañon City. It offers the small-town-done-right and mimics the Grand Junction area in feel.

Speaking of, if I had to move to either Pueblo or Grand Junction, I would go back to GJ in a heartbeat. A lot of that is the geology in the area but it's also the weather and the people I got to know there. It's a lot different than the Front Range in many ways.

I don't know, Pueblo is just not all that higher looked upon, especially from long-timers and natives of the area because it does have it's industrial background and just like towns that have merged in the metro Denver area, that reputation is hard to shake.

Defend Pueblo, the city you love, because I do the same with C Springs. I love this city and so much misinformation is out there about CS.

I don't disklike or hate Pueblo, it's just not a city I desire to live in. I really, really want to get to the Chile and Frijoles Festival though. I love green chiles and to be able to get fresh chiles while in a fun atmosphere would be awesome.

Old 01-08-2010, 02:08 PM

12,102 posts, read 20,368,837 times
I have no issue if someone does not want to live in Pueblo, we all have our personal preferences. My issue is with the almost constant belittling of Pueblo that I have seen. not only in here but in real life. For example when I was in Denver or Colorado Springs it got so bad that as soon as someone would ask me where I was from my family and friends would be like "here we go again" because they knew as soon as I said Pueblo the reaction I would get and how that would get me in my defensive mode and go off on them, which I did till they apologized.

BTW you should come down for the Chile and Frijoles Festival as its fun and just one of the many festivals that Pueblo has that makes us unique in Colorado!

Old 01-08-2010, 11:25 PM

I want to add another issue that, IMO, causes jealously from the state, water.

I am amazed at the reaction I get from people who live in the Denver MSA and Colorado Springs when the topic of water and Pueblo gets brought up. Many people up north do not like that Pueblo has so much water and controls even more water when we are not the largest city in the state. I have a feeling that in the future as the state grows this will only intensify as water becomes a issue for growth and Pueblo has plenty of cheap water while most cities in Colorado do not.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:43 PM

16,438 posts, read 18,531,865 times
If I learn enough Spanish, I may consider Pueblo. Water and cost of living are important considerations in Pueblo's favor..

Old 01-09-2010, 12:04 AM

631 posts, read 1,359,517 times
I personally think that Pueblo really isn't looked down upon all that much...at least not when you're pitting it against top-notch cities

I think that (like you stated about MY home) Location is to blame. Being so detached from everything else, Pueblo may have 'greater control' BUT it also doesn't have the same amount of social impact as Boulder or Wheat Ridge would get because it's so far away. Because of this Pueblo just gets...kinda ignored a lot from a social aspect.

As for the water thing since you brought it up Pueblo isn't the only one with a monopoly on water. LONGMONT is the water-rights kind up here on the other side of the state, and most cities have to abide by our rules (especially since we have one of the regional treatment plants both for incoming mountain water AND waste water.).

Old 01-09-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eon-krate32 View Post
I personally think that Pueblo really isn't looked down upon all that much...at least not when you're pitting it against top-notch cities

I think that (like you stated about MY home) Location is to blame. Being so detached from everything else, Pueblo may have 'greater control' BUT it also doesn't have the same amount of social impact as Boulder or Wheat Ridge would get because it's so far away. Because of this Pueblo just gets...kinda ignored a lot from a social aspect.

As for the water thing since you brought it up Pueblo isn't the only one with a monopoly on water. LONGMONT is the water-rights kind up here on the other side of the state, and most cities have to abide by our rules (especially since we have one of the regional treatment plants both for incoming mountain water AND waste water.).
Actually the problem is reverse. The political leaders up north in Colorado Springs and Denver want to forget about Pueblo and feel because they are much larger should be able to but can't because we command such a large region. Just look at the latest example as a Pueblo representative is pro tem in the house and John Salazar from the area is in a cabinet level office in DC and I have heard he is a possible candidate for president in the future.

As far as water perhaps Longmont is key to some northern Colorado cities, but Pueblo is key to Colorado Springs and the Denver metro area and they have to deal with Pueblo on a daily basis. That creates a lot of jealously as the state does have water issues yet Pueblo has more then enough for any kind of growth that can come our way this century with extremely low rates.

Old 01-09-2010, 02:20 PM

2,819 posts, read 4,240,006 times
I lived in Pueblo for 3 years when i was attending college at CSU from 1998-2001. I had lived in Colorado Springs and my first impressions of Pueblo were unfavorable at the least. Nothing against Pueblo but I grew up in Colorado Springs complaining about how boring and dull Colorado Springs was. When i came to a city half the size of C Springs, i found myself wanting to go home to the Springs alot any chance i got. Pueblo at first seemed run down, backwards, and less progressive than the Springs.

After a while of settling there, Pueblo began to try to improve itself with the work done on US 50 from Troy to heading out to Pueblo West. I later found that Pueblo had a certain charm. I had made several friends there and we'd go to different parts of the city to hang out. House parties were the norm in Pueblo. I found that Pueblo had the industrial feel which made it feel like an actual "hub" or an important city. The downtown, although no tall buildings was charming for all the old architecture and concentration of many pubs and bars in one area. We always used to love to ride out to the Pueblo Resevoir, sometimes sneaking booze and other things to chill out with. I ended up moving back to the springs for 3 years, then i decided to move to Houston. While Houston has everything one could want in a big city, there are times i find myself reminiscing back to my college years in Pueblo, realizing those were some of the best times of my life.

I think Pueblo has shows signs of a very promising future. Do i think the population will ever rival Denver? No. Do i think it will ever rival Colorado Springs? No. Heck, many of Denver's suburbs have already passed Pueblo in population. I do think Pueblo will be maintain itself as a healthy city with developments and corporations. However, i don't think it will be a major player in the state aside from being a railroad hub.

Old 01-09-2010, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H (ComingtoHouston) View Post
I lived in Pueblo for 3 years when i was attending college at CSU from 1998-2001. I had lived in Colorado Springs and my first impressions of Pueblo were unfavorable at the least. Nothing against Pueblo but I grew up in Colorado Springs complaining about how boring and dull Colorado Springs was. When i came to a city half the size of C Springs, i found myself wanting to go home to the Springs alot any chance i got. Pueblo at first seemed run down, backwards, and less progressive than the Springs.

After a while of settling there, Pueblo began to try to improve itself with the work done on US 50 from Troy to heading out to Pueblo West. I later found that Pueblo had a certain charm. I had made several friends there and we'd go to different parts of the city to hang out. House parties were the norm in Pueblo. I found that Pueblo had the industrial feel which made it feel like an actual "hub" or an important city. The downtown, although no tall buildings was charming for all the old architecture and concentration of many pubs and bars in one area. We always used to love to ride out to the Pueblo Resevoir, sometimes sneaking booze and other things to chill out with. I ended up moving back to the springs for 3 years, then i decided to move to Houston. While Houston has everything one could want in a big city, there are times i find myself reminiscing back to my college years in Pueblo, realizing those were some of the best times of my life.

I think Pueblo has shows signs of a very promising future. Do i think the population will ever rival Denver? No. Do i think it will ever rival Colorado Springs? No. Heck, many of Denver's suburbs have already passed Pueblo in population. I do think Pueblo will be maintain itself as a healthy city with developments and corporations. However, i don't think it will be a major player in the state aside from being a railroad hub.
Thanks for your insights, I am glad that you had a good time while going to school in Pueblo, you should come back to visit there are many changes going on.

As you talked about, CSU Pueblo is one of the brightest spots in Pueblo as it is the fastest growing university in the state and because of it companies are moving here and Pueblo could get a few R&D parks that will work directly with CSU Pueblo.

As far about what you say about Pueblo's future, if you mean that Pueblo will never be the size of the Denver MSA and Colorado Springs MSA I totally agree with you but if you mean the cities I am not so sure. As you said with the industries here Pueblo has more of a "hub city" feel and that is only increasing as Pueblo gets large energy companies to move here, in fact the Koreans are working with AEHI to build a 21,0000 acer energy park east of town. So it is possibly, and to be honest, likely that Pueblo could top 300,000 people and even get close to 500,000 people this century. If we do that would make us about the same size as the city of Colorado Springs and the city of Denver. That, alone, is enough to cause the political leaders of those cities to constantly critique Pueblo as they have enough issues dealing with Pueblo now at 150,000 people let alone when we reach 300,000 or even 500,000 people. BTW Pueblo has more then enough water for that kind of growth and that is one reason water is a big factor as well.

Old 01-09-2010, 05:27 PM

631 posts, read 1,359,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Thanks for your insights, I am glad that you had a good time while going to school in Pueblo, you should come back to visit there are many changes going on.

As you talked about, CSU Pueblo is one of the brightest spots in Pueblo as it is the fastest growing university in the state and because of it companies are moving here and Pueblo could get a few R&D parks that will work directly with CSU Pueblo.

As far about what you say about Pueblo's future, if you mean that Pueblo will never be the size of the Denver MSA and Colorado Springs MSA I totally agree with you but if you mean the cities I am not so sure. As you said with the industries here Pueblo has more of a "hub city" feel and that is only increasing as Pueblo gets large energy companies to move here, in fact the Koreans are working with AEHI to build a 21,0000 acer energy park east of town. So it is possibly, and to be honest, likely that Pueblo could top 300,000 people and even get close to 500,000 people this century. If we do that would make us about the same size as the city of Colorado Springs and the city of Denver. That, alone, is enough to cause the political leaders of those cities to constantly critique Pueblo as they have enough issues dealing with Pueblo now at 150,000 people let alone when we reach 300,000 or even 500,000 people. BTW Pueblo has more then enough water for that kind of growth and that is one reason water is a big factor as well.
Ahh I can see it now. Pueblo with a size to rival many well known cities in the nation and with a beautiful skyline of both modern and historical buildings with the Rockies as a backdrop.

Lol this would actually be nice just for the aesthetics alone cus Denver's the only city with a massive skyline within 500 miles of here.

Anyone care to make a rendering of this scene?

Old 01-09-2010, 05:32 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,120,672 times
I don't really think it's a matter of people liking or not liking Pueblo, Josseppie--what turns many people off is your CONSTANT propagandizing of it. It's as if you have a big inferiority complex about your home community and constantly have to brag about it to overcome that. I've gotten to the point that I just about don't want to even read a thread with "Pueblo" in the title because I can be assured that you will post some more propaganda in it. You are like some barracuda, droning car salesman that just refuses to be quiet enough to let a customer sell himself a little bit on the car he wants. That kind of overbearing sales pitch is enough to send most people shopping somewhere else for what they want. If I were to consider relocating to Pueblo, you would be the absolute LAST person I would contact for an objective, fair view of what the community might be like. Do Pueblo a favor and back off some in your incessant cheerleading--it would probably lead to a big decline in negative responses in any Pueblo-based thread, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado