U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think Colorado tends to look down on Pueblo?
Yes 15 53.57%
No 8 28.57%
Not Sure 5 17.86%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 04:43 PM

12,102 posts, read 20,351,797 times

Advertisements

I think you give me to much credit.

Every city has a person who loves their city as much as I love Pueblo and talk about it and promote it, in fact most cities usually have quite a few. So I don't think I am the reason that Pueblo has been looked down by the state especially since this has been going on long before I was alive.

Old 01-09-2010, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eon-krate32 View Post
Ahh I can see it now. Pueblo with a size to rival many well known cities in the nation and with a beautiful skyline of both modern and historical buildings with the Rockies as a backdrop.

Lol this would actually be nice just for the aesthetics alone cus Denver's the only city with a massive skyline within 500 miles of here.

Anyone care to make a rendering of this scene?
I have written how I would like to see Pueblo's downtown develop in the next 10 to 20 years and it has the potential to be amazing. I would do a drawing but I have no idea how....

Old 01-09-2010, 06:23 PM

13,632 posts, read 21,494,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
If I learn enough Spanish, I may consider Pueblo.
This part of your post is ignorant and/or misinformed. If you knew how to speak Spanish, I don't know what you would do with it in Pueblo. The Spanish/Hispanic folks that live here come from so many generations back that most don't even speak it themselves and there's so few jobs here that we have very few "immigrants" here at any given time.

If you would like to learn Spanish and speak it here, you're free to do so... but don't assume that everywhere you go is a Spanish-speaking person and that they are in fact Spanish themselves.

We're not "exactly" the community that South Park makes us out to be.

We all don't know how to roll our R's contrary to popular belief.

We don't refer to the University as Taco Tech.

We even like barbeque and refried beans equally. We know that the beans fall through the grill and we also know how to do it right the first time.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:22 PM
Status: "Rocktober...well that was fast. :-(" (set 20 days ago)

10,296 posts, read 10,450,237 times
I don't look down on Pueblo, I actually like the town. Not as much as Joss, but then, I don't think Pueblo's mayor likes Pueblo as much as Joss.
I wouldn't pick Pueblo as a place to live. After living in places like Denver, San Diego, Washington D.C. and soon, Monterey, California, Pueblo would be a major let down. But with that said, there are worse places to be and Pueblo has made a lot of progress in dressing up its central neighborhoods. The river walk is very well done, and if the city keeps it up, the whole state of Colorado benefits.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
I don't look down on Pueblo, I actually like the town. Not as much as Joss, but then, I don't think Pueblo's mayor likes Pueblo as much as Joss.
I wouldn't pick Pueblo as a place to live. After living in places like Denver, San Diego, Washington D.C. and soon, Monterey, California, Pueblo would be a major let down. But with that said, there are worse places to be and Pueblo has made a lot of progress in dressing up its central neighborhoods. The river walk is very well done, and if the city keeps it up, the whole state of Colorado benefits.
Insightful comments and I could be Pueblo's number 1 fan and cheerleader, a job I am more then happy to have.

That being said I agree with your point about how a more successful Pueblo means for a more successful Colorado, however, I don't think most of the state's politicians see that, especially ones from the larger cities. They see it as a threat from the current way things are done and most politicians do not like change. In the future when Pueblo is more successful and approaching 500,000 people then northern Colorado would have to pay more attention to southern Colorado interests more and Denver politicians just do not want to do that. It was like this once before around 1900 when Pueblo and Denver where to two largest cities and Denver did not much care for it then and I am sure they are dreading the day it is like that again.

Old 01-10-2010, 07:49 AM

1,331 posts, read 4,414,851 times
Joss, you make me laugh sometimes! It's not like the "Denver/Other than Pueblo" politicians of the 1900's and NOW are saying,..."I am representing Colorado,...although we DO have Pueblo, yuck , puey....we are a great state despite this"!
Come on now,...don't you think in 1900 they just didn't have enough time to saddle up and take a very long trip down south?
Pueblo is just fine,....I don't think they need anybody bowing to them with an apology....besides, WHO should apologize AND, to whom?
You should run for office in Pueblo!!

Old 01-10-2010, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheridanL View Post
Joss, you make me laugh sometimes! It's not like the "Denver/Other than Pueblo" politicians of the 1900's and NOW are saying,..."I am representing Colorado,...although we DO have Pueblo, yuck , puey....we are a great state despite this"!
Come on now,...don't you think in 1900 they just didn't have enough time to saddle up and take a very long trip down south?
Pueblo is just fine,....I don't think they need anybody bowing to them with an apology....besides, WHO should apologize AND, to whom?
You should run for office in Pueblo!!
Back in 1900 the issue was not politicians visiting Pueblo, a lot where from Pueblo, but it was the fact Denver needed Pueblo to pass any legislation and Pueblo needed Denver. Meaning that both cities were close enough in size and Denver controlled the northern half of the state while Pueblo controlled the southern half, so if either city wanted to block bills they could and did. Then the flood of 1921 changed things and Denver grew while Pueblo stalled, sure Pueblo still commanded a region and sure Pueblo could, and still can, stand up to Denver but its not the same. IMO the state is worried that as Pueblo grows and we regain some of the population given the fact we are more then just a city that we DO command a 16 county region that looks up to us we will have the same kind of control again.

Interesting question, what should the state do? An apology, no. The only thing they can do is accept the fact that as Pueblo grows politics will not always be like it has been in our lifetime and Pueblo and southern Colorado will once again be a stronger force that Denver and northern Colorado will have to work with on a regular basis to get things done. It will not be easy for many in Denver but it will soon be the new reality and after some growing pains they will learn to live with it, they have no choice. In the meantime Pueblo can expect more backlash as the current way of doing things changes.

BTW thanks! Someday I just might run for office.

Old 01-10-2010, 11:23 AM

1,331 posts, read 4,414,851 times
Do it!!!!NOW!!

Old 01-10-2010, 11:44 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,191,883 times
I don't think look down, Pueblo is just different. The wonderful thing about CO is the variety of climates and landscape. Most people who come to CO have this romantic view of CO with trees, mountains, mountain streams/lakes, skiing, log cabins/homes, deer/elk, etc. Pueblo doesn't exactly resemble the romantic view but who is to say that Pueblo should be frowned upon for it? No one. Pueblo is a wonderful small city that has so much going for it- especially its size and climate. Those who love it love it for these reasons. Those who love Denver love Denver for its size and climate. For those wanting a romantic version of CO think Aspan, Vail, Breckinridge, etc. and snow, snow, snow. Now that I am out east in VA, when I say CO, they imagine the romantic version. And when I share what Pueblo is like, they are shocked.
I have only met a couple of people who dislike Pueblo, and it wasn't Pueble they really hated- it was the schools. They couldn't stand working for the school system or having thier kids involved in the system. This is the only thing I have heard negative about the area.
So no, Pueblo isn't frowned upon.

Old 01-10-2010, 11:55 AM

I wanted to bring up anther issue that comes up about Pueblo and something I constantly hear. "Pueblo looks ghetto and run down while northern Colorado cities look new and modern".

Pueblo is not ghetto or run down, I can show you many cities in the rust belt that are that way, Pueblo is industrial. Since all of the lager cities north of here are more high tech in nature when people come down here and see the industrial city without many modern highrise's and tech parks its easy for them to raise their nose and look down on this city.

To be honest I see that as a strength that Pueblo is only now beginning to realize. We are what I consider "a midwest city that meets the southwest". Unlike many cities, not only in Colorado but the United States, Pueblo decided to keep our historic buildings and re-develop them instead of tear them down for "modern buildings". What that is allowing Pueblo to do is keep the history alive in Pueblo around the Riverwalk area, or lower downtown, and have a new section, I call it up-town, that as Pueblo grows will be perfect for the modern highrise's larger cities have. That makes us unique, only Denver has this in Colorado, and gives Pueblo the potential that 90% of cities in the U.S. do not have, a great and diverse downtown.

So as people comedown and make fun of the so called "run down city" I always laugh because as we grow and we continue to remodel our historic buildings and build new "modern" buildings those same people will come back down and say "wow you guys saved your historic buildings and now they look awesome next to the new highrise's, Riverwalk, outdoor amphitheater, art and theater district, sports stadiums, and all in walking distance. I wish my town would of done that!

Last edited by Josseppie; 01-10-2010 at 01:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado