U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Do you think Colorado tends to look down on Pueblo?
Yes 15 53.57%
No 8 28.57%
Not Sure 5 17.86%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 01:47 PM
Status: "Pueblo Canon City CSA 208,000. The 134th largest in the USA!" (set 29 days ago)

9,820 posts, read 10,481,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froggin4colorado View Post
I don't think look down, Pueblo is just different. The wonderful thing about CO is the variety of climates and landscape. Most people who come to CO have this romantic view of CO with trees, mountains, mountain streams/lakes, skiing, log cabins/homes, deer/elk, etc. Pueblo doesn't exactly resemble the romantic view but who is to say that Pueblo should be frowned upon for it? No one. Pueblo is a wonderful small city that has so much going for it- especially its size and climate. Those who love it love it for these reasons. Those who love Denver love Denver for its size and climate. For those wanting a romantic version of CO think Aspan, Vail, Breckinridge, etc. and snow, snow, snow. Now that I am out east in VA, when I say CO, they imagine the romantic version. And when I share what Pueblo is like, they are shocked.
I have only met a couple of people who dislike Pueblo, and it wasn't Pueble they really hated- it was the schools. They couldn't stand working for the school system or having thier kids involved in the system. This is the only thing I have heard negative about the area.
So no, Pueblo isn't frowned upon.
I grant you that Pueblo is not the "romantic view of Colorado" then again most cities in the state are not. Plus I don't think people outside of Colorado have a negative view of Pueblo as I have never ran into it. In fact on my travels when people ask me where I am from I get one of 3 responses.

1) Never heard of it. This is a small percentage, less then 10%, and they usually are interested in Pueblo.
2) Know of Pueblo because of the government offices here or some company they work with but have never been.
3) Have heard of it and been here.

In all the cases they usually do not talk down Pueblo but actually seem to either like the town or have heard good things about it and its residents.

So I think it goes back to Colorado politicians and residents in the larger northern Colorado Cities looking down on Pueblo for various reasons.

Old 01-10-2010, 03:43 PM

2,498 posts, read 2,011,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
I don't really think it's a matter of people liking or not liking Pueblo, Josseppie--what turns many people off is your CONSTANT propagandizing of it. It's as if you have a big inferiority complex about your home community and constantly have to brag about it to overcome that. I've gotten to the point that I just about don't want to even read a thread with "Pueblo" in the title because I can be assured that you will post some more propaganda in it. You are like some barracuda, droning car salesman that just refuses to be quiet enough to let a customer sell himself a little bit on the car he wants. That kind of overbearing sales pitch is enough to send most people shopping somewhere else for what they want. If I were to consider relocating to Pueblo, you would be the absolute LAST person I would contact for an objective, fair view of what the community might be like. Do Pueblo a favor and back off some in your incessant cheerleading--it would probably lead to a big decline in negative responses in any Pueblo-based thread, too.
Cut him some slack. I can understand someone's desire and duty to stick up for their hometown. It doesn't mean they have an inferiority complex.

Old 01-10-2010, 04:21 PM

891 posts, read 697,329 times
I grew up 36 miles from Pueblo, so I know it well! It is great that it is geeting these green jobs, and that the downtown is pretty decent. But let's be real! NO ONE is jealous of Pueblo! It is still a very poor, run down city. The future is bright, but it is just not a place people want to live! Above average crime, quite a bit of gritty areas, and although somewhat close to the mountains, no real scenery in the city. Just not a desireable place to live!

Old 01-10-2010, 04:46 PM
Status: "Pueblo Canon City CSA 208,000. The 134th largest in the USA!" (set 29 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehiDenver View Post
I grew up 36 miles from Pueblo, so I know it well! It is great that it is geeting these green jobs, and that the downtown is pretty decent. But let's be real! NO ONE is jealous of Pueblo! It is still a very poor, run down city. The future is bright, but it is just not a place people want to live! Above average crime, quite a bit of gritty areas, and although somewhat close to the mountains, no real scenery in the city. Just not a desireable place to live!
This statement makes my point better then I could ever on my own.

1) I have already shown how Pueblo is not a "run down city" even though that is a common criticism, we are industrial.

2) Pueblo is less affluent then most of the cities up north and that has been a reason to look down on us.

3) No real scenery? Again I have proven this statement false as Pueblo has great views of the mountains and plains.

I find it interesting that at one place in the paragraph it says "the future is bright" yet it goes on to say "just not a desirable place to live". Seems contradictory to me and illustrates the jealousy up north by some who do not understand why Pueblo has such a bright future and are worried what that will mean when the growth does happen.

Old 01-10-2010, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H (ComingtoHouston) View Post
Cut him some slack. I can understand someone's desire and duty to stick up for their hometown. It doesn't mean they have an inferiority complex.
Thanks!

Old 01-10-2010, 05:43 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,228,268 times
I have been through Pueblo a number of times when stopping in Colorado Springs to see relatives on the way back from Las Vegas. What is seen off of the interstate is not the most desirable but there is more to a city that what is seen on I-25. Granted, there are some areas in Pueblo that I would not care to go though and would never live in, but that is with any city over 100,000 people and that includes Sioux Falls, SD and cities in the clean and safe Upper-Midwest. It is definitely a working class, blue-colllar community. But it has a lot of potential for progress due to its location and lower costs than its larger siblings to the north. It has good attributes but can use improvement, although that has been going on for awhile based on reading about Pueblo and going though there in the past few years.

I have read prior posts and will state that Pueblo may have gone through tough times in recent decades. But there will be time where it is Pueblo's turn to shine, stun, and show off.

Last edited by Chris19; 01-10-2010 at 06:06 PM..

Old 01-10-2010, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris19 View Post
I have been through Pueblo a number of times when stopping in Colorado Springs to see relatives on the way back from Las Vegas. What is seen off of the interstate is not the most desirable but there is more to a city that what is seen on I-25. Granted, there are some areas in Pueblo that I would not care to go though and would never live in, but that is with any city over 100,000 people and that includes Sioux Falls, SD and cities in the clean and safe Upper-Midwest. It is definitely a working class, blue-colllar community. But it has a lot of potential for progress due to its location and lower costs than its larger siblings to the north. It has good attibutes but can use improvement, although that has been going on for awhile based on reading about Pueblo and going though there in the past few years.

I have read prior posts and will state that Pueblo may have gone through tough times in recent decades. But there will be time where it is Pueblo's turn to shine, stun, and show off.
Thank you!

Is Pueblo perfect? No. Do we have a lot we can improve on. Most defiantly yes. Do we have both good and bad areas? Like any city yes.

That being said I think you hit the nail on the head, Pueblo has tremendous potential and at some point it will be realized and some up north do not understand why and do not want the balance of power to change.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:21 PM

2,074 posts, read 1,692,502 times
Our 3 kids moved to Denver, Phoenix, Austin. They viewed Pueblo & Pueblo West, where we live, as small.
I have family living in Craig, Colorado and they think of Pueblo as big.
We like where we are and have no desire to move somewhere else.

Old 01-10-2010, 11:49 PM

631 posts, read 885,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I wanted to bring up anther issue that comes up about Pueblo and something I constantly hear. "Pueblo looks ghetto and run down while northern Colorado cities look new and modern".

Pueblo is not ghetto or run down, I can show you many cities in the rust belt that are that way, Pueblo is industrial. Since all of the lager cities north of here are more high tech in nature when people come down here and see the industrial city without many modern highrise's and tech parks its easy for them to raise their nose and look down on this city.

To be honest I see that as a strength that Pueblo is only now beginning to realize. We are what I consider "a midwest city that meets the southwest". Unlike many cities, not only in Colorado but the United States, Pueblo decided to keep our historic buildings and re-develop them instead of tear them down for "modern buildings". What that is allowing Pueblo to do is keep the history alive in Pueblo around the Riverwalk area, or lower downtown, and have a new section, I call it up-town, that as Pueblo grows will be perfect for the modern highrise's larger cities have. That makes us unique, only Denver has this in Colorado, and gives Pueblo the potential that 90% of cities in the U.S. do not have, a great and diverse downtown.

So as people comedown and make fun of the so called "run down city" I always laugh because as we grow and we continue to remodel our historic buildings and build new "modern" buildings those same people will come back down and say "wow you guys saved your historic buildings and now they look awesome next to the new highrise's, Riverwalk, outdoor amphitheater, art and theater district, sports stadiums, and all in walking distance. I wish my town would of done that!
Might I add that (while we are not there yet) Longmont has also elected to keep it's downtown as it is and build modern buildings elsewhere, allowing us to have a downtown that originates back in the 00's of 1900.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eon-krate32 View Post
Might I add that (while we are not there yet) Longmont has also elected to keep it's downtown as it is and build modern buildings elsewhere, allowing us to have a downtown that originates back in the 00's of 1900.
That might be but the question is where and how far? Look at what Pueblo has planned:

Unlike many cities, not only in Colorado but the United States, Pueblo decided to keep our historic buildings and re-develop them instead of tear them down for "modern buildings". What that is allowing Pueblo to do is keep the history alive in Pueblo around the Riverwalk area, or lower downtown, and have a new section, I call it up-town, that as Pueblo grows will be perfect for the modern highrise's larger cities have. That makes us unique, only Denver has this in Colorado, and gives Pueblo the potential that 90% of cities in the U.S. do not have, a great and diverse downtown.

Plus Pueblo will use the Riverwalk to connect the baseball stadium to the hockey arena and lake to the historic part of downtown with the convention center and outdoor amphitheater. Making downtown Pueblo unique in Colorado.

This is all in one large but walkable downtown like Denver's, not even Colorado Springs or Fort Collins has this in their downtown's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado