U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think Colorado tends to look down on Pueblo?
Yes 15 53.57%
No 8 28.57%
Not Sure 5 17.86%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 07:38 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,617,265 times

Advertisements

This statement makes my point better then I could ever on my own.

1) I have already shown how Pueblo is not a "run down city" even though that is a common criticism, we are industrial.

No you didn't! You are selectively picking places to show! There are just as many run down areas that you have chosen to not show in pictures!

2) Pueblo is less affluent then most of the cities up north and that has been a reason to look down on us.

True. Not many people want to live in a struggling city when the northern Colorado cities are more progressive, and modern.

3) No real scenery? Again I have proven this statement false as Pueblo has great views of the mountains and plains.

No, you showed a view of the distant mountains, and a reservoir on the far western side of the city. The city itself is plain jane.

I find it interesting that at one place in the paragraph it says "the future is bright" yet it goes on to say "just not a desirable place to live". Seems contradictory to me and illustrates the jealousy up north by some who do not understand why Pueblo has such a bright future and are worried what that will mean when the growth does happen.

I truly hope that Pueblo does get all these things that Eeyore begs for on the other site! Like he says, it is good for Pueblo and Colorado. But the reason some look down on pueblo is because IT IS a more run down, gritty version of the front range cities! I live in Colorado as well, and know Pueblo inside and out. It is not a "pretty city" as compared to boulder, or fort collins, or even longmont! But I do love that you love it!

Old 01-11-2010, 10:12 PM

1,331 posts, read 4,416,567 times
D70 school district in Pueblo is under consideration to be the FIRST district in Colorado to go to a 4 day school week!
We will see how that works out and, maybe how very advanced they truly may be for the future of education.
How does everyone feel about the 4 day school week?
I think it would be wonderful for the costs..such as electric, etc.
I KNOW the students would love love love this schedule!! Teachers would too with a 3 day weekend and 4 days in some cases!
But, what about the parents who need daycare more often and many more $$ in a week?? PIA OR..better?
HMMMM???

Old 01-11-2010, 10:16 PM

12,102 posts, read 20,360,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehiDenver View Post
This statement makes my point better then I could ever on my own.

1) I have already shown how Pueblo is not a "run down city" even though that is a common criticism, we are industrial.

No you didn't! You are selectively picking places to show! There are just as many run down areas that you have chosen to not show in pictures!

2) Pueblo is less affluent then most of the cities up north and that has been a reason to look down on us.

True. Not many people want to live in a struggling city when the northern Colorado cities are more progressive, and modern.

3) No real scenery? Again I have proven this statement false as Pueblo has great views of the mountains and plains.

No, you showed a view of the distant mountains, and a reservoir on the far western side of the city. The city itself is plain jane.

I find it interesting that at one place in the paragraph it says "the future is bright" yet it goes on to say "just not a desirable place to live". Seems contradictory to me and illustrates the jealousy up north by some who do not understand why Pueblo has such a bright future and are worried what that will mean when the growth does happen.

I truly hope that Pueblo does get all these things that Eeyore begs for on the other site! Like he says, it is good for Pueblo and Colorado. But the reason some look down on pueblo is because IT IS a more run down, gritty version of the front range cities! I live in Colorado as well, and know Pueblo inside and out. It is not a "pretty city" as compared to boulder, or fort collins, or even longmont! But I do love that you love it!
This is just more proof as to why people from up north look down on Pueblo.

First off, Pueblo is not a run down city. Sure we have some run down buildings, most large cities do, but compare us to the rust belt where they have buildings just rusting hence the name "rust belt" to describe the region.

Pueblo is less affluent but that does not mean Pueblo is not a progressive city. Just compare what we do to Colorado Springs. We are better at taxing ourselves to better the lives of our citizens. Just look at how Pueblo recovered from the economic collapse of the 1980's. We voted in a tax to bring in primary employers and we improved the downtown by buildings a Riverwalk and convention center where we are now working on a $55 million dollar project that includes a larger convention center, hotels, retail buildings, and a outdoor amphitheater while Colorado Springs can't even pass a simple tax to build a convention center.

Pueblo is far from a plain jane. We have great views of the mountains and plains from the city and the downtown is unique with a Riverwalk that has become our signature. Pueblo is unique in Colorado as we are a midwestern city that meets the southwest. A combination that as Pueblo embraces is becoming a tool to help up grow. One example is CSU Pueblo which is the states fastest growing university. That is because students would rather attend a major university in Pueblo where the weather is warmer in the winter yet close to great skiing.

This final paragraph in the post kind of stands on its own as to why Colorado looks down on Pueblo so I think I will end with it as a example of exactly what i am talking about:

Old 01-11-2010, 10:21 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,653,541 times
You know Josseppie, if you posted a picture of a girlfriend that was 300 lbs overweight, bald, with half a mouthful of black teeth, and the complexion of a Papa John's pepperoni pizza, I could accept that you say you love her. But no amount of smoke-and-mirrors propagandizing would convince anyone looking at the photo that she was a slim, attractive lass with a beautiful smile.

You spend way too much of your time around here trying to tell us that Pueblo is that slim, attractive lass with a beautiful smile. It...just...ISN'T.

OK, we get it, you love the place. But when you show up in the Colorado Springs forums trying to tell us how we need to make our happy little corner of Colorado more like your little brown crime-infested 'hood, it doesn't inspire us to break out into flowery prose on the "industrial beauty" of Pueblo.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:32 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,653,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheridanL View Post
D70 school district in Pueblo is under consideration to be the FIRST district in Colorado to go to a 4 day school week!
We will see how that works out and, maybe how very advanced they truly may be for the future of education.
How does everyone feel about the 4 day school week?
I think it would be wonderful for the costs..such as electric, etc.
I KNOW the students would love love love this schedule!! Teachers would too with a 3 day weekend and 4 days in some cases!
But, what about the parents who need daycare more often and many more $$ in a week?? PIA OR..better?
HMMMM???
What do I think? The state will be down there in 3-4 years trying to figure out why Pueblo's kids have test scores even more dismal than they are now.

Anyone that realistically thinks they can pack a full week's worth of learning into four days doesn't know much about the attention span and endurance of children.

Stupid, stupid idea.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:04 PM

12,102 posts, read 20,360,320 times
I read the last two posts and have been thinking on how to respond to them but to be honest except to say they are just more examples as to what I have had to deal with concerning how people up north feel about Pueblo I don't think I need to say anything else as I have already responded to most of the "attacks".

As far as district 70, that is way off topic, but I know they are having the same kind of budget issues we are all having and they are just trying to come up with the best way to solve it. Perhaps that is not a correct answer but every school district in the country is having to figure something out.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:20 AM

20,312 posts, read 37,815,914 times
Suffice to say that old industrial cities with a working class populace will always look gritty to most outsiders from more affluent places. That's just how it goes, and probably is the same everywhere. Pueblo will have this sort of image problem until the ungainly looking chrysalis that it is yields a marvelous butterfly some wonderful day. Until then, we wish Pueblo much success.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado