U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 02:46 PM

178 posts, read 464,158 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Canon City awhile and have found people here to be friendlier than most. I haven't noticed or heard very much about racism here. There may be a few racists in town but I see very little of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 03:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,865 times
I live in Canon City, and I have never seen any racist problems. But that is just me. I go to high school there and have a lot of friends that are black, hispanic and even mixed.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:15 PM

178 posts, read 464,158 times
My wife is Hispanic. She speaks fluent Spanish and I speak enough to get by. I'm Germanic and English but it seems that I get along well with my in-laws and other "latinos." My mother-in-law who was born in a village near Guadalajara loves me more than my own mom and I'm looking forward to visiting her soon in Arizona. I have also had African-American friends and I was best man at my Jewish friend's wedding. I lived in Canon City until very recently.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:13 PM

486 posts, read 1,235,561 times
here's another good write up by the Daily Record about the history of the KKK in Canon City:

Ku Klux Klan part of area's colorful past - Canon City Daily Record

Old 04-01-2013, 09:02 PM

9,862 posts, read 13,203,116 times
Well I am quite sure white power racist types are more than a few after that Evan Ebel 211 white power gang did that shooting. When I first came to Denver in 91 my cousin was living in Highlands Ranch she said her classmate did a paper on white supremacists in Colorado and received several threatening phone calls.

When I was visiting my friend in a northern CA college town Chico, where I would never suspect hardcare racists just twenty miles away neo nazis and KKK were marching about 500 strong as we drove by to go hiking in the mountains.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:29 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,706,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
My family lives/works in cc. They seem to like it quite well & have never heard anything about the kkk in cc. It was someone else who told me online. Racism is everywhere incl small town america.
Having lived in a few parts of the country, and traveled through many more, it seems to me that racism is most alive in small towns. In bigger towns people experience interactions with members of other races, even if they try to seclude themselves. In small towns, it is much more common to have a single race make up the vast majority of the area. Therefore, it is possible to maintain false stereotypes by avoiding contact.

Does this mean NYC will have less racists than a small city? No, by virtue of sheer numbers they will have more. However, I'd estimate that the percentage of residents that are racists is going to be lower there than if you took a random sampling of 20 million individuals living in small towns. It doesn't mean everyone in a small town is racist, and anyone who implies that has failed at logic. I'm saying that it is hard to hate black people or Mexicans if you talk to them everyday. If you regularly talk to them, it is hard not to realize how similar they are to you.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:34 AM

9,783 posts, read 6,282,029 times
I want to amend comments indicating that racism is higher in small towns. I think that it's possible that any time you have an area where a large group sharing a certain socioeconomic status that are practically all one race, you can run into a sort of exclusionary racism. I think that any black area where a white person is very likely to be assaulted passing through is a racist community--the buildup and reasons are of course different, but it is still prejudice and racism. Any white community where a new black neighbor is looked upon as lowering the property values before you even meet them, is racist. Any white community that looks upon hispanics as all freeloaders here to steal our tax dollar benefits, or take our jobs, or whatever...with no respect to the fact that many Mexicans in particular are unbelievably hard workers...that is racist. I think that racism comes in a lot of shapes and forms, and it's not exclusive to white redneck bigotry against minorities. I don't care what anyone says. And in big cities, there is far more of a situation where minority communities can be downright hateful and violent against white people than your old white power type racism. I've heard minority people say that it is only "possible" for whites to be racist. I think that is crap. I mean sure, our historical behavior is deplorable, and we are well aware of that. But any time anyone hates anyone else because of the color of their skin, and they don't even know them or give them half a chance, it is racism and it is not cool. Period.

Old 04-02-2013, 01:24 PM

3,108 posts, read 4,663,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
Having lived in a few parts of the country, and traveled through many more, it seems to me that racism is most alive in small towns. In bigger towns people experience interactions with members of other races, even if they try to seclude themselves. In small towns, it is much more common to have a single race make up the vast majority of the area. Therefore, it is possible to maintain false stereotypes by avoiding contact.

Does this mean NYC will have less racists than a small city? No, by virtue of sheer numbers they will have more. However, I'd estimate that the percentage of residents that are racists is going to be lower there than if you took a random sampling of 20 million individuals living in small towns. It doesn't mean everyone in a small town is racist, and anyone who implies that has failed at logic. I'm saying that it is hard to hate black people or Mexicans if you talk to them everyday. If you regularly talk to them, it is hard not to realize how similar they are to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I want to amend comments indicating that racism is higher in small towns. I think that it's possible that any time you have an area where a large group sharing a certain socioeconomic status that are practically all one race, you can run into a sort of exclusionary racism. I think that any black area where a white person is very likely to be assaulted passing through is a racist community--the buildup and reasons are of course different, but it is still prejudice and racism. Any white community where a new black neighbor is looked upon as lowering the property values before you even meet them, is racist. Any white community that looks upon hispanics as all freeloaders here to steal our tax dollar benefits, or take our jobs, or whatever...with no respect to the fact that many Mexicans in particular are unbelievably hard workers...that is racist. I think that racism comes in a lot of shapes and forms, and it's not exclusive to white redneck bigotry against minorities. I don't care what anyone says. And in big cities, there is far more of a situation where minority communities can be downright hateful and violent against white people than your old white power type racism. I've heard minority people say that it is only "possible" for whites to be racist. I think that is crap. I mean sure, our historical behavior is deplorable, and we are well aware of that. But any time anyone hates anyone else because of the color of their skin, and they don't even know them or give them half a chance, it is racism and it is not cool. Period.
You are actually correct. Several sociologists have studied this phenomenon.

Large urban areas have a denser, more diverse population than small towns and rural areas. People in the cities are more likely to be accepting of the many different types of people than small towns and rural areas. This acceptance spans a wide variety of people who are not welcome in small towns.

In an urban area, a city dweller won't think twice when he sees two men holding hands, a punk rocker with tattoos and multiple piercings, and a couple with a child standing in line in front of them at the grocery store.

Small towns tend to be very homogeneous with most of the people living there having family roots that go back generations. There is a very strict unwritten code of conformity. Children in small towns who are different, whether they be gay, punk rockers, or whatever, will leave the small town when they grow up and they seek the acceptance of the large urban area (usually the area in and around downtown).

As for racism in small towns, we are not even a generation removed from when many towns were segregated by race and schools were "separate, but equal." Minorities were the underclass. They did not hold positions of power and they worked mostly as the laborers, especially in the fields. The older generation (who were raised by people who fought tooth and nail to perpetuate this system) often still sees minorities in their subordinate role. Actions of minorities often become magnified and held up as typical for the race or ethnicity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado