U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 11:30 PM

857 posts, read 1,346,492 times

Advertisements

CCCVDUR: If someone can assure me that Durango-Bayfield-La Plata County will be friendly to outsiders, and entrepreneurs, then it could prove to be the last decision after making many mistakes moving in the SW. Do you think they would hire me since I have no local connections?

ROBINSTYLER: Durango/Bayfield are friendly to outsiders ONCE YOU GET HERE. If you are attempting to find work before moving, it is a very closed community. People get stars in their eyes and idealize Durango and unless you're in the area, have a higher "flight" risk to employers.

CCCVDUR: Interesting. No - I am not trying to find any work ahead of time in Durango or any of the other places I'm looking at. As far as Durango, you say that people are friendly ONCE people are there. IF SO, that puts Durango in a different position than Flagstaff, Albuquerque, and Santa Fe - very cliquish Southwest places where I have had difficulty finding jobs, or, jobs didn't last that long. Many of my questions are a direct result of negative experiences in these markets.

ROBINSTYLER: You had mentioned earlier that you do bike repair, and though that's a skill that's rare in other areas, in Durango area it's at a different level. Durango is a Bike mecca with people like Ned Overend and Bob Rohl living here. I believe in total we have 6 world class bikers living in and around Durango. I know two bike shops that have top level bike mechanics working there allowing room only for the low end tech.

CCCVDUR: I mentioned that I'm learning how to do this work and am looking for someone to train in this regards.

ROBINSTYLER: The tourist areas and grocery chains are usually hiring, but finding higher levels of work with a living wage is a challenge. Many people find they have to have more than one job to survive..

CCCVDUR: However Colorado is NOT a right to work state, unlike Arizona so City Market, etc. should be Unionized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 02:37 PM

621 posts, read 909,677 times

CCCVDUR: I mentioned that I'm learning how to do this work and am looking for someone to train in this regards.

ROBINSTYLER: Well, you should have no trouble finding people to teach you.

CCCVDUR: However Colorado is NOT a right to work state, unlike Arizona so City Market, etc. should be Unionized.

ROBINSTYLER: Both City Markets and the one Albertson's are not Union.

Old 01-22-2010, 12:22 AM

857 posts, read 1,346,492 times
[quote=Robinstyler;12550109]

ROBINSTYLER: Well, you should have no trouble finding people to teach you.

CCCVDUR: That was, in regards to bike mechanic work. Thank you for the specific answer. That would be one of the best markets to learn that type of work.

CCCVDUR: From my political perspective, this is unfortunate, however, that is just my view. Incidentally, the cost of food in Durango is less than most college/tourism towns due to the lower prices at City Market and Superwallmart. This could be taken into account for people relocating and looking at the cost of living. Thanks for the info.

Old 01-22-2010, 12:27 AM

CCCVDUR: From my political perspective, this is unfortunate, however, that is just my view. Incidentally, the cost of food in Durango is less than most college/tourism towns due to the lower prices at City Market and Superwallmart. This could be taken into account for people relocating and looking at the cost of living. Thanks for the info.

ROBINSTYLER: This is a big YMMV. I do find the prices at Albertson's and both City Markets (Krogers) very reasonable. I don't go to Wal-Mart enough to comment.

If you like Trader Joe's, you'll find the natural foods market a little more costly in Durango. However, there are some great co-ops springing up that would not only be more financially manageable, but also very fulfilling if you like that sort of thing.

Old 01-22-2010, 07:44 AM

118 posts, read 268,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I really don't believe there are that many people out there in the Colorado mountains that do that. At least full time anyways. I have known some telecommuters out in the mountains and still they often have to travel for some reason and Durango isn't the easiest place to get in and out of.
I spent the last dozen or so yrs traveling from metro NYC airports, and i can tell you traveling from DRO is more convenient and no more expensive.

NOTE: I'm actually talking about current-day, experience-based fact. But feel free to do the "yeah, but i know people who used to live in Durango...and in the world of tomorrow, there will be no air travel, and..." thing

Old 01-22-2010, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchasse View Post
I spent the last dozen or so yrs traveling from metro NYC airports, and i can tell you traveling from DRO is more convenient and no more expensive.

NOTE: I'm actually talking about current-day, experience-based fact. But feel free to do the "yeah, but in the world of tomorrow, there will be no air travel, and..." thing
Don't you love the, "Now arriving in Gate 1", LOL I love DRO. HOWEVER, CEZ is actually more convenient for me. Free parking and less congested...(yep, it's possible to be less congested than DRO)

Old 02-02-2010, 03:15 PM

3 posts, read 4,967 times
Default 64 million $$ question

So the question is .....Is the Durango area a place to move to in search of a biz to buy? I have been in Santa Fe for 12 years and am looking for a change.
I am of simple means and have read through this thread and found it very enlightening. Some real some not - the age of most in the area seems to be 20 - 35 (or so) the chart i looked at showed 80 some odd people in the 55 range - thats where i fit. What can someone tell me about Durango for the older (not retired or trustyyyyy people) - I have visited Durango area over the last20 years and now I would like to make the move . HOWEVER many of you have brought up some very good points. Yeah or Ney

Old 02-02-2010, 04:32 PM

178 posts, read 463,819 times
A lot of people say Flagstaff/Durango are difficult places to make it. Want to know how to succeed and even prosper like I did when I moved to Flagstaff in the Eighties? I moved to town with $2,000 and didn't know anybody. The first thing I did was get a cheap studio apartment close to the University Plaza Safeway on the West side of town. I then sold my car and walked/rode to the store for groceries or wherever I needed to go. I cut my expenses to the bare survival level and then got a job carrying luggage and as a desk clerk at a local hotel. Nobody wanted to carry luggage in freezing weather--so I got the job. Next I got to know one of the locals who said he needed a limousine driver part-time. That was a few more bucks. I did so well at the hotel that they promoted me to accounting clerk and then head of accounting for a 12 million/year operation. It didn't pay much but I still had my studio apartment and no car so I was actually saving money. Finally, I met a nice girl also working at the hotel who just happened to be a daughter of a somewhat prosperous local who owned several rental houses and let me live in one for free because I treated him and his family with great respect and courtesy. He is now my father-in-law. I still shovel snow off his driveway when I go to visit. I left out a lot of details like the time I was carrying 4 suitcases up icy stairs and slipped and fell and the time during a blizzard when by accident I got lost, walked into a cemetery and fell into a freshly dug grave that was full of snow.

Want To Make It In Durango?

1. Sell your car and walk or ride a bike.
2. Get the cheapest rental you can stand to live in close enough to walk/ride a bike to work and the grocery store.
3. Be HUMBLE and show the locals a lot of respect. Listen when they talk to you. You might learn something and even if you don't, act like you're interested. They will often tell another local about you which will increase your chances of getting a good job.
4. Be willing to do ANYTHING for anybody to make a buck. Like clean out the gutters on someone's house, shovel snow off their driveway or help them move.

I now have 2 beautiful children, own my home and even though I'm not rich, I'm living well.

The first 2 years were difficult. I know what it is like to be hungry and unable to afford to eat well. I wanted to live in Flagstaff so bad that I was seriously willing to die trying if need be.

Old 02-02-2010, 06:59 PM

14,131 posts, read 26,250,313 times
GStone - 5054 says he's around 55 years old. Not sure your plan will work for someone that age.

Old 02-03-2010, 02:31 PM

3 posts, read 4,967 times
Default Durango bound

Thanks for the good laugh about the graveyard fall - great memory i'm sure. I will not have to sell my car and I do have some wealth - but only enough to do it right the first time. I am 56 yrs old - single - love the mountains and have a daughter/ grand daughter in Durango. My questions were more of the social and community aspects. Is Durango a GREAT place or just a beautiful place to live. I hear things about how expensive homes still are - I am downtown Santa Fe now and the housing in Durango are just so out of wack for what you are getting, IMO. My daughter is on the edge of "I may never be able to buy a house here" situation unless she lives far out of town. I have always commented about how nice the people are when I visit her, the girl at a drive up fast food place was the nicest and friendliest I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. That just does not happen in SF. Do I have rose colored glasses on?

Anyway - is it really great or....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or