U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 10:09 AM

336 posts, read 624,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
In that case, Terri, I think you're facing pretty significant challenges. That said, sheer will is a powerful ally. Best of luck to you.
I can use the luck... but the last five years have been a pretty significant challenge...I am thinking...anything else that I come up against
will just be another obstacle to tackle...but well worth it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 10:12 AM

Thanks pilot...yes, we won't want to be completely isolated...because yes, the grandbaby will need activities...and 1/2 would be nice...I don't want anything too big because my husband isn't able to help maintain it...

Old 01-13-2010, 11:55 AM

2,437 posts, read 7,106,745 times
Two years and counting and no plans to leave.

I think the key to success here, or just about any other place, is moving when the time and circumstances are right, as opposed to just trying to escape someplace, trading one set of problems for another.

And before someone tries to debunk my credibility, I've had direct family here since before the civil war. Not that that makes me special, but SOME PEOPLE like to brush off the input of anyone who was not born and raised and been living here for a lifetime. The only true natives I know of here are the rocks.

Last edited by treedonkey; 01-13-2010 at 12:43 PM..

Old 01-13-2010, 12:23 PM

14,131 posts, read 26,246,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
And before someone tries to debunk my credibility, I've had direct family here since before the civil war. Not that that makes me special, but SOME PEOPLE DO like to brush off the input of anyone who was not born and raised and been living here for a lifetime. The only true natives I know of here are the rocks.
You'd have enjoyed the heated discussion over on the Maine forum about people "from away" and who does and doesn't qualify for "not from away" status.

One thing people had going for them back in those days though is a lot of them moved across the country and settled in large family groups and were able to fall back on their families during hard times. Generally one or two would come out, make it big and then would get the rest of the family to resettle. In our more mobile and nuclear family oriented society, fewer folks nowadays have that safety net.

Old 01-13-2010, 12:37 PM

279 posts, read 588,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
And before someone tries to debunk my credibility, I've had direct family here since before the civil war. Not that that makes me special, but SOME PEOPLE DO like to brush off the input of anyone who was not born and raised and been living here for a lifetime. The only true natives I know of here are the rocks.
I had to laugh treedonkey.....and couldn't agree more...
Some people do like to put that view across.

I moved here from Australia about 2 years ago, just wanted to experience all the things I dreamt of when I was a child. Met my wife here, another transplant, originally a Jersey girl. We love the long distances we need to drive, the white Halloween, Christmas and Easter, the long and snowy winters. We opened our own business which pretty much looks after itself now so we are looking at new ventures.

Simply LOVE living in a small mountain community....life is what you make of it.....and right now life is good....

Old 01-13-2010, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minx View Post
I had to laugh treedonkey.....and couldn't agree more...
Some people do like to put that view across.

I moved here from Australia about 2 years ago, just wanted to experience all the things I dreamt of when I was a child. Met my wife here, another transplant, originally a Jersey girl. We love the long distances we need to drive, the white Halloween, Christmas and Easter, the long and snowy winters. We opened our own business which pretty much looks after itself now so we are looking at new ventures.

Simply LOVE living in a small mountain community....life is what you make of it.....and right now life is good....

I couldn't agree more....that's my sole purpose for my family...to make the most of life that we can...

Old 01-13-2010, 05:48 PM

3,460 posts, read 4,789,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
You'd have enjoyed the heated discussion over on the Maine forum about people "from away" and who does and doesn't qualify for "not from away" status.
The OP already started a pretty heated discussion on natives here in the Colorado forum.

Last edited by sterlinggirl; 01-13-2010 at 06:35 PM.. Reason: Edited to fix link

Old 01-13-2010, 06:29 PM

2,437 posts, read 7,106,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
The OP already started a pretty heated discussion on natives here in the Colorado forum.
Page not found.

Sounds like you're the one trying to stir up 'discussion'.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:36 PM

3,460 posts, read 4,789,502 times
The link is fixed now.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:45 PM

5,748 posts, read 10,501,488 times
Let's not portray Terri as the initiator the never-ending transplant/native battle of wits. I'm absolutely certain that the thread to which you've linked was a follow-on to another heated discussion involving all the usual suspects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado