U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-15-2010, 10:44 AM
 
2,437 posts, read 7,114,517 times
Reputation: 1506

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri722 View Post
Haha...yes, Livermore...I know there is nothing there but land...that's what we loved... :P
Are we talking about the same Livermore?
City of Livermore Official Website

There's a lot more there than just land. It's basically the edge of suburban sprawl before heading over the Altamont Pass to the San Joaquin Valley. It's not a bad place, but doesn't exactly strike one as a dream location. Sort of like moving to Greeley if the Denver metor had a >7 mill population instead of just >1. I'm not trying to dissuade you from moving there at all, I'm just curious what the fascination is... But perhaps that is too off topic...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-15-2010, 11:00 AM
 
Location: Woodland Park, CO
3,133 posts, read 9,117,246 times
Reputation: 2463
Life is short, go live in many places and see which one you like best.

I've lived in Wichita, KS, Lansing/Grand Rapids, MI, Las Vegas, NV and now Woodland Park, CO. I'm 28 years old and I feel I will be in Colorado until I retire. Then I'm heading south to Phoenix or Palm Springs where I can golf all year. Driving 1.5hrs every weekend to the slopes is heaven on earth for me right now. At least you can have mad fun in the snow. What can you do in Texas? Go sit on a sandy beach? Bleh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2010, 11:04 AM
 
2,437 posts, read 7,114,517 times
Reputation: 1506
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
The last decade or so of "easy times," relatively speaking, allowed a lot of people who would have othewise "washed out" to make it in Colorado, but those easy days are ending, in my opinion.
I truly do find it amusing that Jazz thinks that it's really HARD to live in CO... as if he's Bear Claw Chris Lapp and has to teach all us greenies to make sure we lay enough dirt down over our hot coals at night. Winter's a long time comin', aint it Jazz?... May yer ass be surefooted an' yer top knot well pre-tected when so many's after it!!!

The reality is that there are over five million people living in this state (most of them above the poverty line), and Denver is the largest metro hub in the Intermountian West. So yes, work can be had here and a productive life can be enjoyed by many. But, like anywhere, it's not that easy to get into something good right now and will take time and determination. By all means, don't move here on a whim unless you have nothing to lose, but if you see a real opportunity here for you and yours, then please do feel welcome to come on over and give it a try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2010, 11:19 AM
 
Location: Wherabouts Unknown!
7,756 posts, read 16,467,757 times
Reputation: 9292
When I lived up in Alaska, the term for a newcomer to Alaska was cheechako.
If that's the greeting you get up north, don't be insulted. In Alaska and the Canadian Yukon, cheechako means nothing more sinister than "newcomer" or "tenderfoot," a stage you will outgrow if you stay around. The harsh climate and terrain of Alaska do make greater demands on newcomers than the Lower 49, and perhaps that is why there is a special northern word for them.

The word was imported from Chinook Jargon into the English of that region during the Yukon gold rush that began in 1896 and is chronicled in the stories of Jack London and the poems of Robert Service.
At that time anyway, cheechako was not intended as a derogatory term. Rather than espousing a stay-out-of-Alaska attitude, the oldtimers were more inclined to take you under their wing and TEACH you the ways of the north. I wonder if that attitude still prevails in Alaska. Apparently it died a long time ago in Colorado, except for relative newcomers who generally express a welcoming attitude like treedonkey in the post above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2010, 11:52 AM
 
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere
14,131 posts, read 26,284,209 times
Reputation: 6816
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
Are we talking about the same Livermore?
City of Livermore Official Website

There's a lot more there than just land. It's basically the edge of suburban sprawl before heading over the Altamont Pass to the San Joaquin Valley. It's not a bad place, but doesn't exactly strike one as a dream location. Sort of like moving to Greeley if the Denver metor had a >7 mill population instead of just >1. I'm not trying to dissuade you from moving there at all, I'm just curious what the fascination is... But perhaps that is too off topic...
I think she means Livermore, CO and you're thinking CA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2010, 11:55 AM
 
2,437 posts, read 7,114,517 times
Reputation: 1506
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I think she means Livermore, CO and you're thinking CA.
Oh, that explains it. Did not know about the one in CO. Snickering redacted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2010, 12:10 PM
 
Location: Texas
336 posts, read 625,475 times
Reputation: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I think she means Livermore, CO and you're thinking CA.

Yep...it's Livermore Colorado and it is my dream location... (why would I be talking about Livermore CA on a Colorado board? haha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2010, 12:19 PM
 
Location: Texas
336 posts, read 625,475 times
Reputation: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
I truly do find it amusing that Jazz thinks that it's really HARD to live in CO... as if he's Bear Claw Chris Lapp and has to teach all us greenies to make sure we lay enough dirt down over our hot coals at night. Winter's a long time comin', aint it Jazz?... May yer ass be surefooted an' yer top knot well pre-tected when so many's after it!!!

The reality is that there are over five million people living in this state (most of them above the poverty line), and Denver is the largest metro hub in the Intermountian West. So yes, work can be had here and a productive life can be enjoyed by many. But, like anywhere, it's not that easy to get into something good right now and will take time and determination. By all means, don't move here on a whim unless you have nothing to lose, but if you see a real opportunity here for you and yours, then please do feel welcome to come on over and give it a try.

Thanks...give it a try is all any of us can do when venturing out to something different...so I appreciate that...nothing to lose, well, I would end up selling a home that my husband and I worked hard to turn into what we wanted for our family...BUT since his brain injury...it's hard for me to maintain and it's draining me financially...so no, it's not a whim...I have been looking into moving there for four years...guess I was trying to hang on to our house because it's the most solid thing I have left of who we use to be...thanks for the support from all of the kind people of Colorado...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2010, 12:20 PM
 
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere
14,131 posts, read 26,284,209 times
Reputation: 6816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri722 View Post
Yep...it's Livermore Colorado and it is my dream location... (why would I be talking about Livermore CA on a Colorado board? haha
Treedonkey's punishment is he has to read and memorize everything on this website:

Livermore Colorado - eLivermore.com

There'll be a quiz in the morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2010, 03:55 PM
 
2,437 posts, read 7,114,517 times
Reputation: 1506
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Treedonkey's punishment is he has to read and memorize everything on this website:

Livermore Colorado - eLivermore.com

There'll be a quiz in the morning.
Punishment accepted. I'll be ready for a quiz on Monday. Oh wait make that Tuesday, I'm going boarding on Monday...
(I couldn't figure out why someone she was gushing about Livermore CA on the CO forum either... which is why I snickered)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top