U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 01:56 PM

336 posts, read 626,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
To say you won't be affected is myopic. Livermore, that you have picked--is a nice area--granted. But you admit that you are on a fixed income. Now, imagine how much "fun" living there might be if propane is $5 or $6 per gallon to heat your home. Imagine how economically feasible it will be to commute to Cheyenne or wherever to work if fuel is $6 per gallon or more. Imagine every single necessity you must buy to live costing way more because of increased transportation costs. When fuel is cheap, exurbia can be a nice place to live, but when fuel no longer is cheap--and that is exactly where we are heading--exurbia is going to turn into a nightmare for most people.

People are still building their lives on a foundation of assumptions--cheap energy, abundant resources, etc.-- that are going to crumble. The Bible has a little to say about that:

I knew that *wouldn't affect us* would be the first words to hit a nerve...I didn't mean it as if we are untouched by economic times...but it does help to know what amount of money I have to work with monthly...and let's see I pay a ridiculous amount for our electric bill here...it's almost $400 in the winter and usually over $600 in the summer...so I know that in the summer there it would cost almost nothing by comparsion and that would allow for me to save for the winter heating costs....and I am ready to scrimp to live somewhere I want to be...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
So this won't happen where she is now if she stays there? If we're all doomed we might as well go down the tubes in more pleasant surroundings.

My thinking exactly...I have a mortgage that is eating my lunch and an electric bill that zaps up a lot too....so Amen to the fact that if we are doomed...I want to be where I want to be when it happens...

Old 01-16-2010, 02:56 PM

9,817 posts, read 19,065,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri722 View Post
I knew that *wouldn't affect us* would be the first words to hit a nerve...I didn't mean it as if we are untouched by economic times...but it does help to know what amount of money I have to work with monthly...and let's see I pay a ridiculous amount for our electric bill here...it's almost $400 in the winter and usually over $600 in the summer...so I know that in the summer there it would cost almost nothing by comparsion and that would allow for me to save for the winter heating costs....and I am ready to scrimp to live somewhere I want to be...
You must have every light and appliance turned on 24/7 for an electric bill that high.

Old 01-16-2010, 03:08 PM

14,131 posts, read 26,325,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
You must have every light and appliance turned on 24/7 for an electric bill that high.
Not if everything including heat, water heater, kitchen, etc. are all electric. Kind of surprising though that if you're in TX you wouldn't be using more natural gas.

Old 01-16-2010, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Nope...but we have a swimming pool and my neighbors utilities aren't far off without a pool...so it's just what we are being charged...like I said...it would cost us practially nothing for summer in Colorado...so the rest would be do-able...

Old 01-16-2010, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Not if everything including heat, water heater, kitchen, etc. are all electric. Kind of surprising though that if you're in TX you wouldn't be using more natural gas.

Everything is electric...as for using gas...we didn't have gas available on this street until a neighbor built about 7 years ago and had it piped in...but that was going to be quite an expense to bring it to our home and transfer the appliances...she is still the only one on the street using gas, however, they popped her with crazy prices for the gas in the winter also...so it's one or the other....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado