U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 04:36 PM

1 posts, read 3,442 times

Advertisements

Have a look in the Gulnare/Aguilar area; Spirit Mountain Ranches, etc. Beautiful green valleys with mountain views, water , green grass and not too far from civilization. As for jobs....nobody around here seems to WANT to work (we had a hell of a time trying to get people to work on our house construction). There are opportunities here, you just have to find your niche. Climate is relatively mild, snow doesn;t stay around long, minimum 310 days of sunshine a year but not as hot as NM and not as cold as in other parts of CO.
Trinidad is 29 miles from here, Walsenburg is 25 miles from here. Aguilar has a nice supermarket with local products and a bakery (no not the industrial cr*p).
Residents are mostly blow-ins from out of state and very nice and sociable. We even have a busy bar in town (Gulnare) with lots of activities (cowboy dances, live music, BBQs, Pot lucks, etc)

Last edited by snitselfolald; 11-01-2010 at 04:40 PM.. Reason: spelling mistakes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 10:14 PM

3,764 posts, read 7,199,178 times
I lived in Aguilar & up Trujillo Creek for a while, as well as La Veta on the other side.... all beautiful country up towards the Wahatoya Mts. Lots of old, established families too around those areas with deep roots. Jobs are tough though unless one can get lucky in the Burg or Trinidad.

Old 11-02-2010, 12:10 AM

138 posts, read 288,239 times
A lot of people work at the Walsenburg Veterans home/ Hospital. Without that facility, Huerfano county would be in a lot worse shape.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:17 AM

1,778 posts, read 3,479,129 times
Well we are looking at a retirement home. Husband retires in 2 years and we're going to sell a cattle ranch in eastern OK but I can buy land before the property sells and hopefullly the ranch sells when he retires so we can build. We will not be taking any jobs in any area.

Old 11-26-2010, 09:12 AM

1 posts, read 3,026 times
Last year, we bought some land west of Walsenburg near La Veta. Since then, I've gotten to know some of the people in Walsenburg and have found this to be a friendly warm community. Granted, it's not the place for someone looking for a lucrative career in industry, but, if someone is looking for a low stress, small town environment with good access to hiking, fishing, hunting and mountains, this is a good place to look around. I like it for the fact that there are no big resorts that bring in large crowds. It has everything I need for a town to have. If I need something else, Trinidad and Pueblo aren't that far away.

Old 05-29-2011, 11:16 AM

3 posts, read 7,796 times
Moved to La Veta 4 months ago. I love it. I don't care if gasoline costs $10.00 a gallon. I can walk (if I choose) to the store , PO anyplace I need to be. I researched this ALL first during 2010 as I survived in Fayetteville,Arkansas temporarily due to some family health issues, -before- relocating to La Veta. This is a small (pop 900) Alpine-climate "mountain town" that has charm and rusticness and natural beauty in spades. La Veta has no crime issues, gangs, or 'bad parts' of town. As JM Francisco said upon first viewing this area - " This is paradise enough for me" <- key word "enough" I have had to make adjustments to shopping and budget to live here..BUT..for me..it certainly IS "paradise enough" for me.
La Veta is a peaceful and gentle town with like-minded residents and a very strong sense of community and a torrent of art & culture. I am thankful to myself and my self alone that I was able to move here -and- be the happiest I've ever been. Research pays off!!

Old 05-29-2011, 11:33 AM

3 posts, read 7,796 times
Walsenburg is 17 miles east from me on 160. I shop there sometimes, the Huerfano courthouse is there, and I can get all my consumer / medical/ professional / auto needs taken care of in Walsenburg if it is something I can't get and need it today in La Veta. Economically it is cheaper to shop in La Veta at Charlie's Market for all my grocery-related needs. I save gasoline and $$$ shopping in La Veta. Otherwise I use the internet for nearly all non-food purchases...even clothing. Free or very low-cost UPS, FedEX charges by most online merchants really does take most of the 'sting' out of living in an isolated or remote Colorado town. Folks....life to me means my personal happiness...not how far the nearest Walmart is. Glad our ancestors never needed Walmart to settle the wild west...I don't need them either.

Old 01-17-2012, 06:19 PM

3 posts, read 3,682 times
I know I'm bumping a dead thread, but here it goes. I'm going to be interviewing with Vestas for a position at the Walsenburg wind farm and discovered this forum is pretty much the only place I've been able to find with any kind of information on the town of Walsenburg, and I was looking for opinions on commuting from somewhere in that general area and how that commute would be(say from Trinidad for example).

Thanks in advance for any help.

edit: Oh I should probably add some info about myself. I'm 25 and I don't have any kids nor am I married, so I've got a lot of options. I also generally don't go out and do much outside of work either.

Last edited by thatwindguy; 01-17-2012 at 06:27 PM..

Old 01-17-2012, 06:45 PM

20,304 posts, read 37,790,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatwindguy View Post
I know I'm bumping a dead thread, but here it goes. I'm going to be interviewing with Vestas for a position at the Walsenburg wind farm and discovered this forum is pretty much the only place I've been able to find with any kind of information on the town of Walsenburg, and I was looking for opinions on commuting from somewhere in that general area and how that commute would be(say from Trinidad for example).

Thanks in advance for any help.

edit: Oh I should probably add some info about myself. I'm 25 and I don't have any kids nor am I married, so I've got a lot of options. I also generally don't go out and do much outside of work either.
We have more on Walsenburg here and more on Trinidad here.

Trinidad (pop. 9000) is about 35 miles south of Walsenburg (pop. 4000) via I-25 which CDOT closes a few times each winter due to hazardous conditions. The commute could get tedious after a while, not to mention expensive. If your job requires you to come out at all hours to deal with some sort of malfunction you'd want to be as close as possible.

I've been through both towns a few times and I'd prefer Trinidad, here is Trinidad's town page. There is a bit of a quaint small town called La Veta, CO (pop 1000) which is about 17 miles west of Walsenburg that may be of interest but it is very small.

There just isn't a lot down there in the form of towns from which to choose. If you go east you run into the Army's Pinon Canyon range and to west you get into mountainous area and dicey winter driving. If you like outdoor activity the area is pretty good.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 01-17-2012 at 07:05 PM..

Old 01-18-2012, 09:21 AM

3,764 posts, read 7,199,178 times
Thatwindguy, I've lived in Trinidad, Aguilar, Trujillo Creek & La Veta, but never Walsenburg. There's a reason that there is a wind farm-wind! So there can be high winds on the highway all directions out of Walsenburg. The highest winds I've ever driven through were between Walsenburg & Pueblo.

Aguilar is the proverbial on-horse-town. There is some beautiful country places outside of Aguilar in a place name Trujillo Creek.

La Veta is a nice little town & the drive into Walsenburg is not bad at all.

I only lived in Trinidad for a short time but loved the beautiful old brick houses & commercial buildings.

I would recommend that you come out & check out all those areas, make the drive, maybe rent in Walsenburg while you investigate the area. Walsenburg always looks like a dying town to me, but we have stopped at a great new expresso cafe on our way through there this past year!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado