U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 06:29 AM

1 posts, read 11,755 times

Advertisements

My wife and i are thinking about moving to Walsenburg. I have seen several post that mention Walsenburg and then quickly move on to a surrounding city or area and was hoping that i could learn as much about Walsenburg as possible. We will either be moving there or not to CO at all so i'm pretty much only interested in Walsenburg. Any information would be incredibly helpful; specifically if any one knows anything about churches or church life. thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 06:36 AM

1,778 posts, read 3,478,323 times
Half way between Pueblo and Trinidad. Ilike the area west of Walsenburg and Trinidad. Walsenburg seems more into the dessert instead of mountains. On the Trinidad real estate site seen some very nice homes located there. May I ask as to why Walsenburg? I know I am not much help but just curious. We're considering retiring somewhere in that area but in mountains more.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:05 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,091,437 times
Walsenburg is a small, and pretty economically depressed town. The business district seems to have gotten a lot more run down in the last couple of years. There are few jobs there. For anything beyond basic necessities, it is necessary to travel to either Trinidad or Pueblo. Culturally, the town is predominantly Hispanic, most being old-line Hispanic families that have been in Colorado for many generations.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:10 PM

2,253 posts, read 5,834,746 times
Wink Not the usual

You must be one of the few people that had any interest in Walsenburg, and perhaps the only one that would live there or nowhere else in Colorado.

For a century Walsenburg's economy centered on coal mining, but that is gone. As is, the town is going nowhere fast, and it shows. Its claim to fame still remains as being the largest town in Huerfano County, and its county seat. There is a relatively large and new regional health center located just west of town.

If considering real estate, then there are probably still bargains to be had. This in part due the isolation, with major services a good drive distant in either Trinidad or Pueblo, CO. At the far eastern edge of La Veta Pass, Walsenburg resides in a largely semi-arid, flat area of low hills of juniper.

As of 2000 the town had a population of 4,182; as of 2004 Huerfano County had an estimated population of 7,755. In other words, lots of space to roam, and if the grander aspects of civilization are not high on your agenda it may prove perfect. Job options are probably near nil, particularly for a newcomer.

Were it me, a better choice in the same county, with better geographic location, about a fifth the population of Walsenburg, and a far more civilized air about it . . . is La Veta. That town actually shows some promise. At a stretch, I'd term it the Boulder of Huerfano County. But, of course, to each their own.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:28 AM

La Veta is a gorgeous spot, but overpriced for real estate, and with little economic base. Living there would mean traveling even farther to Trinidad or Pueblo than would be the case in Walsenburg. I find La Veta very appealing, but its distance "out in the boonies"--like a lot of places attractive to transplants--is going to wane very fast when fuel is $6-$8 per gallon, scarce, or both--which is exactly where we are headed in the next few years. A lot of these "dream places" for outsiders are going to fade into depressed isolation when that happens. Just like they were for much of Colorado's history until relatively recently. People don't want to believe that, but that is what is going to happen. Make book on it.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:14 AM

Jazzlover what do you think about Trinidad?

Old 01-14-2010, 11:19 AM

Trinidad has a nice climate, nice geography, some great historical buildings, and a rich heritage. It suffers from two major deficiencies (in addition to a pretty rigorous economy), in my opinion. The first is that Colorado's idiotic highway department ran I-25 right through the center of Trinidad, effectively ripping the heart of it years ago--and are now rebuilding that POS right in the same place. Dumb, dumb, dumb. The second is that Trinidad has been a pretty rough town for decades, and remains so. I know several people who spent time living there, and they were all glad when they got the chance to move elsewhere. It's too bad, because Trinidad does have some nice charms, but it would be a very economically and culturally challenging place to live, in my opinion.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:37 AM

I-25 was pretty bad last October. The entire area was dug up but I assum someday it would look great again!!!!!

Do you know anything about the 35 acre parcels just North on the Santa Fe trail going into Trinidad from the Raton pass? We are looking at retirement possibilities. my problem is every place I like is way to remote like Chama, NM. I love the Weston, CO area but my husband doesn't want to spend miles on dirt roads (looking at where all their 35 acre parcels are),

Someone on this site mentioned scams, do you know of any?

Old 01-17-2010, 03:52 PM

2,253 posts, read 5,834,746 times
Wink Could be

I-25 through Trinidad is never going to look great; it does rip the heart out of that town.

You mentioned Westin, although I was actually thinking a bit further west, near Stonewall. Neither will require a lot of dirt road driving, unless your 35 acres is well off the road. It is a pretty area, with negatives possibly being a certain drive into Trinidad for services, with the last stretch of that road not what I'd term scenic.

Something perhaps more suitable, maybe, would be a place such as Ute Park, NM. A perfect spot for retirement if you don't want to be bothered, with my supposition most inhabitants are retired. It wouldn't be an ideal place to commute to work, although some services are reasonably close in either Cimarron, NM or Eagle Nest, NM. Both those being small towns, better services found at either Raton, NM or Taos, NM.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:30 AM

345 posts, read 757,994 times
I have to wonder why??? Unless you work from home and do not plan to buy things or do activites away from home why would you want to live just in Walsenburg? I live out in the country but the grocery store is 5 miles from my house and in 15 mins I can be in a larger town with a movie theater, Home Depot, and etc.

I passed through Walsenburg on my way to the Sand Dunes and thought it was such a cute town, but far from other places. I went through it again a few years later and thought jeez it is declining. It was no longer as cute to me. Some stores had closed and it was looking run down. It is a shame because I had really liked it that first time.

Weston was about 45 mins from Trinidad when the roads are dry. I went in March and it was not well maintained or plowed, some paved but I did spend quite a bit of time driving on dirt roads.
A friend of mine lived on the 35 acres parcels in/around Weston. She at first loved it. They had a darn POA like HOA out there. That started some problems for her. Why own all that land if you have to listen to others telling you that you can and cannot have on it? Then her well ran dry so they had to get a cistern system and have water brought in. No "running" to town cause you forgot milk and etc.

I like peace and quiet which is why I live out here but I personally do not want to live in a place where I might be stuck for weeks or have no income. I also like to go to the movies, hike, and etc and I do not want to have to drive and drive to get someplace else. But maybe that is just me? I like country but with convenince nearby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado