Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2012, 08:03 AM

3 posts, read 13,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnhpfl View Post
Any suggestions on how to cope with the cold? ...
Have lived 3 miles south of the base of Mt. Blanca year round, experienced 4 winters. Love it. This past winter was not very cold at all, first 3 were easily manageable with good insulation in my house and layering. I have lived in high humidity areas all my life, and this is wonderful for me, both winter and summer. Beauty is indeed in the eye of the beholder, and to me this is so beautiful, with a peace and gentleness I have never met in my 60+ years. Happier here than anyplace I have ever lived. Hope you find the same for you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancypichette View Post
Sorry if I am hijacking your post, not sure where to post. I bought the following 5 acre tract and was wandering if you or anyone know of this area or have any photos of the general area.
Unit 24 Block 029 Lot 007, San Luis Valley Subd.
You may want to Google: Blanca, CO, and Mt. Blanca,CO.
Costilla County Tax assessor should have maps of your area, and if you used a realtor, they should have maps of the area in which your land is located.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCoCal View Post
We moved to the SLV in July 2009. ....
As a fellow resident, I absolutely agree!! Not for everyone, but sure works for this happy, joyous and free person

Last edited by Mike from back east; 05-13-2012 at 09:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 04:59 PM

4 posts, read 25,100 times
Ok, kids, play nice now ! The San Luis Valley, is a rare and wonderous place. I can't wait to call it home ! Even with all the drawbacks, it still beats living under a bridge. I never have, but I've been damn close. everyone has their own path to take, even u. Love ya'll, have a good weekend.

Old 06-04-2012, 04:58 PM

1 posts, read 5,509 times
hi i am new to the area and i am woundering if anyone knows where i can eather fill up water or get water deliverd to pu in my cistern. been looking round and haveing some troubles. any info would help thanks

Old 06-05-2012, 09:21 AM

62 posts, read 251,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shariaroberts View Post
Greetings everyone, My husband and I just purchased land in Blanca CO.
Costilla County. Can anyone tell me about this area, the people, what kind of work is available, etc...... Thank You
The land is flat, the winter is quite cold, the summer is beautiful. As for employment, if you are a health care worker or a teacher your chances of employment are good other than that it is not good at all.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:46 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,751,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by w8qf View Post
The land is flat, the winter is quite cold, the summer is beautiful. As for employment, if you are a health care worker or a teacher your chances of employment are good other than that it is not good at all.
Sorry, but if you are a teacher your chances of employment are not good. I'm a teacher who got my master's degree in the valley & teaching positions are not easily obtained.

I used to commute to school from La Veta over the pass to Alamosa. The black ice was something else and ooh la la what winds! Hold on to your hats.

Old 06-06-2012, 04:17 PM

4 posts, read 25,100 times
To the person looking for water: go ask the fire dept. where they fill up their water truck. They should have one for wildland fires. If they don't , ask if they know of a water source. Also check with realtors in the area, or the city office's. If you find something, please post it here. I'll need it one of these days, as well. thanks

Also, you could put an ad (or look) on www.slvjunction.com it's free and seems to be a good source for info and stuff.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 06-06-2012 at 08:03 PM..

Old 07-19-2012, 09:39 AM

1 posts, read 5,147 times
Default RE: Looking for water

It really depends upon where you are living. I have a house in the mountains just outside Fort Garland (in the Ranches) and the ranches have a water delivery service I can provide the number if needed. The big issue is that the cost of water is one thing - the cost to transport it is another!!!! So you need to find a source as close to your place as possible.

Old 07-20-2012, 05:56 AM

62 posts, read 251,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shariaroberts View Post
Greetings everyone, My husband and I just purchased land in Blanca CO.
Costilla County. Can anyone tell me about this area, the people, what kind of work is available, etc...... Thank You
Not much in the way of work my dear. This is very much so an impoverished area of America. The people here are mostly Hispanic but friendly. The climate is nice in the summer but often brutally cold in the winter. I would have thought you would seek answers before purchasing land. I personally love it here, the views are to die for.

Old 09-02-2012, 08:04 AM

1 posts, read 5,035 times
Default Sangre De Cristo Ranches

If you understand that you will be living in a wilderness environment and enjoy living away from people - go for it. Colorado Land is owned by some very nice folks and they will negotiate. Not the least expensive property but not the most either....and the price TOTALLY depends upon what section you will be buying in. It IS NOT all desert - you have the flat areas, sub-alpine and alpine properties to choose from. Our property is in the sub-alpine area and absolutely beautiful and private. Alamosa is 26 miles south and Walsenburg is 55 miles east. Hospitals in both towns. Walmart is in Alamosa. Shop your property with Craigslist too - that's where we found our property - bought from a private owner. Billy Land also has alot of property. Check out the tax auctions - go to the Costilla County website, Treasurer's tab. The Auction is in November. Beware of some local realtor - they too try to sell the property for more than you should pay. THey get comissions and the more you pay, the more they make. You simply must know what you are buying and don't believe what you are told - visit the property. If you want electricity, that impacts the price too. Don't listen to opinions - get facts. We love the area and are glad we chose to buy there. Your happiness will depend upon how much work you put into learning about the area in person. We found the Sangre De Cristo Ranches website helpful for phone, well, etc. information. GOod Luck.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:03 AM

2 posts, read 11,556 times
Hello Green....Actually I'm thinking about purchasing land down in SLV myself. I'm interested in doing the Cob Building. You should check that out. The foundation/bases are pretty simple enough and some people are building Cob on the South facing walls with straw bales on the North facing wall. Once the walls are up you can cover it up with clay/cob on the North. Check it out. Cob building seems to be the way to go and very, very cheap. Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado