Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2014, 09:35 AM

2 posts, read 5,801 times

Advertisements

I sent an email to the Building dept of Costilla County to find out about the codes in SLVR. I was told that all homes have a 600 square foot minimum size and must have a septic system in place. Since we wanted a smaller home with a composting toilet, we stopped looking there. If anyone finds out any different information please post here as we are interested in Southern Colorado to retire and definitely want a tiny home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 10:32 AM

26,210 posts, read 49,027,375 times
Pardon me in advance, but how can people live in a 10x12 foot "house" of only 120 sq ft? My master bathroom is bigger than that, not even counting the walk-in closet.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-02-2014, 12:09 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,934,093 times
A yurt? Indian teepee? I know - an old mining shaft! Anything is possible in the imaginary SLV that shady real estate people try to palm off onto the unwary. I think there should be a sticky at the top here that says simply: San Luis Valley? You'll be sorrry!

Old 08-02-2014, 12:18 PM

463 posts, read 320,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
A yurt? Indian teepee? I know - an old mining shaft! Anything is possible in the imaginary SLV that shady real estate people try to palm off onto the unwary. I think there should be a sticky at the top here that says simply: San Luis Valley? You'll be sorrry!
If you do that be sure to do it in the context of the shady real estate people. I moved to the valley about a year ago and I am definitely not sorry.

Old 08-02-2014, 12:26 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,934,093 times
^^^

Glad to hear it. Alas, we get so many posts here from people who have been misled about the SLV. Of course most of the real estate folk are honest people, but there do seem to be more than a few rotten apples in the SLV barrel.

Old 08-02-2014, 07:41 PM

3 posts, read 10,828 times
I frequently check tinyhouselistings dot com and just saw someone selling 5 acres with a 363 square foot house/cabin and it stated you could install septic tank or live off grid. This isn't the first one I've seen so there must be something I'm missing in the building codes or something...

To Mike from the east, many people are interested in tiny houses (whether prebuilt or diy) for various reasons. Less is more thought process. Living mortgage free. Less impact on the planet. Etc. But I get it's not for everyone

Old 08-05-2014, 01:04 PM

1 posts, read 2,327 times
Lol, we just bought 5 acres near Fort Garland, off Hwy. 160/Beekman Rd. area. We are out in the boonies, hill country of Texas now, have been out here over 20 yrs. About an hour out of Austin, tx. We bought out here because at the time, not many people even close to this area, now it is building out this way quickly, & the elders we are having to take care of are not much longer for this world. We were wanting some place a bit more isolated again without many neighbors. I think we did some decent research, & the place we bought is in the Sangre de Cristo ranches, very near Sangre de Cristo creek. Also planning to hopefully put up some kind of cabin with solar, etc. Sure hope we did not mess up, but timing was of the essence, we had to either do it, or someone else would have, for sure. We are planning our first trip to check out the property in September, maybe even sooner if possible. Any feedback on this area would be appreciated. It is approx. 6 miles north of Fort Garland..

Old 08-05-2014, 02:09 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,342,065 times
I think it sounds great. Like my husband and I we bought a ranch out in the middle of no where too. Thought it was great with the closest neighbor a mile away but for some reason people are moving out this way and the ranches (like mine) are being divided into smaller horse property as oppose to cattle ranches.

Good Luck!

Old 08-05-2014, 05:15 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,342,065 times
Let me run this by you. I for one drive route 160 every year on my way to chama, NM. from Trinidad. (I live on a ranch in OK) So I know the area (a little) there is a blogger you may already know that blogs for Mother Earth McElmurray's Mountain Retreat. They may be in your subdivision but I think the Sangre de Cristo subdivision. They are about 10000 feet up so pretty high up on that mountaiin. They buy all supplies in Ft. Garland and once a month trip to Pueblo.

Look up their blog and maybe you'll find lots of good information on the area for yourself and maybe they can help with well, electric (if wanted) so forth. I think your embarking on a wonderful new life.

Old 08-15-2014, 01:13 PM

5 posts, read 17,330 times
Smile Small Houses

Our experience with others who have built, get a "permit" for a large storage/garage building, then put windows and a front door in it. The county rarely checks when buildings like that are finished. YOu just need a site drawing to show them where your septic and your building(s) will be. Draw in the larger house, but you don't necessarily have to ever build it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado