Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2016, 08:48 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,936,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingmarbueb View Post
o.k. maybe a little well,drilling
but thanks for the upfront answer
I just really wish that people who are considering buying land in the SLV would read this thread and the others here on this subject first. People who don't have much experience living in the West simply don't understand what a huge issue water is out here - and the problem is only getting worse. I would not advise drilling - it can be very expensive and you just can't know how far down you'll have to drill to find water. The depth can vary substantially from one property to the next. That's why I suggested a cistern - especially if you won't be staying there year round. There are several places in the SLV where you can fill up a water tank for fairly cheap. A cistern will help you cut your losses the most. No point throwing good money after bad on drilling a well which might turn up dry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 10:58 AM

1 posts, read 1,775 times
Default Blanca Colorado information website

Hi, this is for anyone that reads this thread, interested in more information on Blanca CO. I have built a website for the town and has links and information so I wanted to share. Thanks.

blancaco.com

Old 11-01-2016, 07:26 AM

2 posts, read 3,101 times
Colorado Rambler

What places would you recommend to get water and is reasonably priced?
Thanks

Old 11-01-2016, 08:31 AM

2 posts, read 3,101 times
You mentioned water was fairly cheap and easy to get.......what exactly is your definition of cheap? So I have a comparison. And can you also give me names of places?

Thanks!

Old 11-02-2016, 01:42 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,936,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisbunch View Post
Colorado Rambler

What places would you recommend to get water and is reasonably priced?
Thanks
First of all, I would recommend buying property that already has a good water well or irrigation shares. The property that I currently live on was snapped up by the ranching family who now own it just to get its irrigation shares. The home I rent was an after-thought. That's how precious water is in the arid rural West. One acre with irrigation rights is worth more than 500 acres without them.

If you insist on buying property in the SLV on the supposed cheap, take into account the costs you will incur by trying to drill a well or putting in a cistern. It is now legal for Colorado property owners to store up to a total of 110 gallons of rainwater to use on their lawns and gardens in one or two rain barrels. If you're going to go with the least possible expense, start with that. In addition, put in a cistern rather than going to the expense of drilling a well lord only knows how deep. You can contract to have water delivered to your cistern or you can do itself with a pick-up truck with a water carrier. There are several places around the SLV where folks can go fill up their water tanks for themselves and save some money while they're at it. Without knowing your location, I can't suggest any one of these places in particular to you. Call the county office where the property you're interested in is located to get info about public or county water for use in cisterns.

Water is more precious than gold out here. I can't empathize this enough to would be SLV property owners. Understand what you're getting into and look before you leap.

Old 12-19-2016, 01:19 AM

4 posts, read 7,020 times
Hi!

Thinking of building out in San Luis. If any one can give me advice on septic system and electricity. Was told I had to have that first. And water. We are looking to do this ourselves as much as we can. I need guidance or if you do this maybe we can talk about it. I know what is needed just would appreciate some neighborly help. Oh! Also looking for land surveyor. Thanks!!!!

Last edited by Mike from back east; 12-19-2016 at 08:26 AM..

Old 12-19-2016, 01:20 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,787,669 times
3 land surveyors listed in Alamosa. land surveyor blanca costilla county co - Google Search

Have you read all of this thread and searched down similar ones? People might make more effort if you have and / or if you have real specific questions instead of open-ended ones. Just a guess. I am not qualified to give detailed answers on these subjects but it is good to ask here and any local experts in these fields. Keep digging for information before making big decisions.

Last edited by NW Crow; 12-19-2016 at 01:34 PM..

Old 12-19-2016, 08:19 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,787,669 times
I now see you have been briefly in a few previous threads and have already bought land. I mistakenly thought you were brand new here. Sometimes I check before replying, sometimes not. So some of my post misses where you at at. Some still applies.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,085 times
Hi I looked in the thrifty nickel one day and seen this ad and was looking for land in fort garland I found some with bill weiland I'm just asking to assure myself real and if so I'll believe it's real I love Colorado it's my dream come true

Old 06-28-2017, 09:23 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalynn98 View Post
Hi I looked in the thrifty nickel one day and seen this ad and was looking for land in fort garland I found some with bill weiland I'm just asking to assure myself real and if so I'll believe it's real I love Colorado it's my dream come true
Did you buy the land yet?
If not, read our threads on the SLV.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado