U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 11:13 PM

28 posts, read 32,132 times

Advertisements

Really?!? That picture is in the Sangre de Christo Ranches? I didn't see anything even remotely like that there. Most of the lots we went down and looked at were either on a hill with little flat area usage or majorly split by gullies/ravines. We did not look at even one lot that had 5 usable acres. Let alone anything that pretty. All scrub, sage bush and dry dirt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 07:06 PM

2 posts, read 3,750 times
I too, bought 5 acres near Blanca within the San Luis Valley Ranches subdivision. The land is so cheap, I couldn't pass it up. I currently live in Taos, NM, and have no plans to move anytime soon. I just thought it would be nice to have a little bit of land to go play on....dig holes, camp, hunt for rocks, etc. My 14 year old and I are going up there to check it out tomorrow. If I do decide to build there, I will definitely go with solar, and hopefully dig a well with a solar powered pump. If the well doesn't work out, I will build a cistern. Unfortunately in Colorado, the laws are such that water catchment is illegal. I think we need to do something to change that law!!! If we are able to catch, filter, and use the water from the rain and snow, even at only 9 inches per year, we wouldn't need a well, or cistern! Good luck to all my new neighbors in Blanca! Hope to meet you one day!

Old 03-12-2012, 08:03 PM

2 posts, read 3,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CUCUCARLA View Post
This definitely sounds like the place for me! I have been searching the area for 4 yrs, I am ready to buy but need info on living off the grid from someone who has done it & is willing to help a new comer with some tips.
There are tons of videos on youtube about building mud brick homes, straw bale homes, adobes, etc. If you have the time, at the Earthship Community in Taos, they take groups of volunteers out to actually work, hands-on training, on 100% self-sustained, pure-green homes. They build these off-grid beauties from the ground up from recycled materials and mud. You have to see them for yourself to believe it. Google "Earthships", then research online for resources, classes, etc. There is tons of support out there for people who want sustainable living.

I wish you lots of luck on your journey!

Old 04-13-2012, 06:18 PM

3 posts, read 5,408 times
Default San Luis Valley

I lived one hr. north of Blanca for 15 yrs and LOVED it. Unlike Jazzlover [?] I know full well what its about and cant wait to get back there. The peice, low stress, undemanding and "keeping up with the Joneses" attitude is not there and I love it. Not interested in trying to impress the rest of the world. Keep your needs simple, be willing to work and be creative, be ready to drink your coffee in the mornings to the most breathtaking sights of the mountains and a glass of wine at night to a fantastic view at the end of a glorious day. ,The most astounding full moons you can imagine and more stars than you can count in a lifetime. Throw away your clock and only glance at your calendar from time to time. work from home 4 hrs a day to meet your needs and tend your garden, bake bread in your outdoor oven [you can make from mud and straw], can organic foods from local farm mkts., paint, make pottery or knit slippers and sell your wares at local mkt. place. Get to know your neighbors and boy are they great to know, hold BBQ's, visit at the mkt. and smile till your face hurts. Walk out, look around and feel proud you created all this....nope...no citified folks here looking to scam you for your money and make you live by their rules...I'm sure this is what heaven is like....enjoy, smile and be happy

Old 04-13-2012, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shariaroberts View Post
Greetings everyone, My husband and I just purchased land in Blanca CO.
Costilla County. Can anyone tell me about this area, the people, what kind of work is available, etc...... Thank You

S...read my reply to your questions...I have land close to you and are retiring there next yr. I live in a place most would give anything for...No. Ca. in wine country...as a matter-of-fact I live in the middle of a vinyard w/ a winery out my back door and I can' wait to get back home to Colorado. I am only here because of elderly parents and now that time is almost over and I will be free to go home..count your blessings and oppertunities and I look forward to meeting you one day.

Old 04-13-2012, 08:19 PM

S...there seems to be quite of bit of health care people needed, agraculture, schools and various other trades. Wages are low but so is cost of living. People are friendly and helpful. There is a sense of community that is priceless. If you are city people you won't like it but if you are tired of city people and what makes them city...you will love it! Wind generators work well as does solar [lots of sunshine] green homes are incouraged, there is lots to do. A senic train cruises through and you can take the tour for not too much. Be creative and enterprising and you will find a way to make your dreams come true...V

Old 04-14-2012, 06:43 AM

9 posts, read 12,100 times
Default coloradolandsale.com

I took a look at their listings. I again STRONGLY advise going to Realtor.com. Go to property types and click MODIFY. Then click LAND. Right now there are 149 listings starting at $5000 for 5 acres. Land in the flats (desert) is less($3500+/- for 5 acres). It is advisable to use a Realtor! Make sure to ask about year around access as anything on the mountains can get snowed in for 6 months. Also; VERY IMPORTANT, Look before you buy.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:46 AM

Default San luis valley schools

They are bad.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:00 AM

Default To 1badcj8

Yes, that is a picture of my land. All I can say is that you MUST go there and look. If you buy from these land dealers you will pay too much for bad land.

Old 04-19-2012, 05:52 PM

4 posts, read 6,501 times
Ok gang it's 2012. What's going on down there now ? I just put a down payment on 6 acres in the "Ranches" and got it from Billyland.com It's a land auction. I was lucky, my acreage has creek frontage. (any gold in it ?) I have 2 home-based businesses, so as long as I have access to internet, I'm ok. Can't wait to move down there. I am so tired of traffic and stupid people. Going down next week to see it and start planning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado