U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-22-2012, 04:09 PM

4 posts, read 5,413 times
Does anyone know what kind of pad or base you build to put an adobe home on ? My land is near Ehrenclow Rd. and Indian Creek Rd. Anybody know if they are close to that ?It would be fun to meet a future neighbor.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 05:18 PM

308 posts, read 296,378 times
Here's some info on building foundations for adobe houses, from what seems to be a very credible New Mexico source. Hope it's helpful for you...

Green Home Building: Foundations for adobe

Old 04-24-2012, 09:59 AM

61 posts, read 93,213 times
I purchased 15 acres in the San Luis Valley Ranches Unit P for $10600 Which is not a bad price. My seller has a fair number of 5 acre lots around the valley for between $3100 and $4000. Anyone interested just ask me at 449103@gmail.com and I'll give you his contact information.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:02 AM

my3sons2834- The gangs you were reading about are in San Luis Valley California. With this being a typically Hispanic area whites are not the most welcome move in and stay folks but as visitors you'll be treated quite well. The folks will eventually accept you into the community but you'll earn your way getting there.

If you are looking to buy keep in mind that there is no reason to pay over $5000 for raw land in most of the valley. If you're creative invest in tax sales, you can get these lot's for next to nothing by investing in back taxes. I think the county will let the property go for up to 3 years before selling for the taxes so do the math, at say $85 a year in taxes over 3 years it's a no brainier. It's just a suggestion you can consider but certainly check with the Treasures office for details.

I bought my 15 acres from a man who invested in quite a number of these lot's in 2005 and he's now selling for a handsome profit and still offering them at a great price.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 04-25-2012 at 09:34 AM..

Old 04-25-2012, 08:34 AM

7,817 posts, read 14,663,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by w8qf View Post
f you are looking to buy keep in mind that there is no reason to pay over $5000 for raw land in most of the valley. If you're creative invest in tax sales, you can get these lot's for next to nothing by investing in back taxes. I think the county will let the property go for up to 3 years before selling for the taxes so do the math, at say $85 a year in taxes over 3 years it's a no brainier. It's just a suggestion you can consider but certainly check with the Treasures office for details.
Did it ever occur to you why so many of those parcels go to Treasurer's Deed for back taxes? Ever wonder why, with tens of thousands of such parcels in the counties in the San Luis Valley, only a relative handful have been built upon? It's because most of those parcels have no real value. They were subdivided decades ago before there were any decent land use and subdivision regulations in Colorado. Many of them have gone to Treasurer's Deed a number of times after the owner figured out that they had been "had." For every person who has made some money on some of those parcels, there are probably ten who lost their shirts on them.

I've watched that go on down in the San Luis Valley for over 40 years and I have a lot of firsthand knowledge about it. When land goes for really cheap in Colorado, it is usually because the land is not much good for anything. You get what you pay for.

By the way, linking to real estate sales sites is a violation of the C-D Terms of Service, in case Mike hasn't already informed you.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Did it ever occur to you why so many of those parcels go to Treasurer's Deed for back taxes? Ever wonder why, with tens of thousands of such parcels in the counties in the San Luis Valley, only a relative handful have been built upon? It's because most of those parcels have no real value. They were subdivided decades ago before there were any decent land use and subdivision regulations in Colorado. Many of them have gone to Treasurer's Deed a number of times after the owner figured out that they had been "had." For every person who has made some money on some of those parcels, there are probably ten who lost their shirts on them.

I've watched that go on down in the San Luis Valley for over 40 years and I have a lot of firsthand knowledge about it. When land goes for really cheap in Colorado, it is usually because the land is not much good for anything. You get what you pay for.

By the way, linking to real estate sales sites is a violation of the C-D Terms of Service, in case Mike hasn't already informed you.
An error on my part with the link but I see no way for me to edit it out. Yes, I am well aware of why these lot's go to tax sales. I have bought at tax sales many times myself for investment purposes. You should understand that there is no such thing as land with no value. There are a great number of folks jumping on the band wagon preparing for the collapse of our nations financial structure and if Obama is reelected in November sales like this will increase because that collapse will be imminent. So, you see this land has real value any way you stack it. I appreciate your input and for pointing out my error in posting the link, thank you.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
An error on my part with the link but I see no way for me to edit it out. Yes, I am well aware of why these lot's go to tax sales. I have bought at tax sales many times myself for investment purposes. You should understand that there is no such thing as land with no value. There are a great number of folks jumping on the band wagon preparing for the collapse of our nations financial structure and if Obama is reelected in November sales like this will increase because that collapse will be imminent. So, you see this land has real value any way you stack it. I appreciate your input and for pointing out my error in posting the link, thank you.
All land may have value, but it is often minimal. If you believe that we are headed for serious financial collapse in this country--and I agree with you on that--then that scrub desert land in the San Luis Valley is going to be worth even less. Without irrigation water rights--and those parcels almost never have any--it can't be used to raise any kind of crop. People like to dream about "living off the grid" 20 miles from town, but when you have to jump in a vehicle every time to go get even the most basic living necessities, you are very much "on the grid"--even if your house is powered by a solar collector.

Another issue in the SLV is water. There is currently not even enough groundwater in the valley to supply current water users--thanks to downstream river compacts. Drying up of 25% of the irrigated land in the valley is a near legal certainty within the next 10 years. That will likely result in a moratorium on domestic well drilling, as well, at some point. That will pretty much decimate the value of any land parcel that does not already have a well permit or a senior decreed surface water right.

The SLV is the last place I would buy land in the face of a national economic collapse. I would be looking at buying productive farm land in the Midwest that is not dependent on wells or irrigation. Of course, you can buy little of that for $10K-$15K and for a very good reason: it WILL have value in the future.

To be sure, there are plenty of unscrupulous real estate hucksters around Colorado who will be more than willing to sell otherwise nearly worthless parcels of land to uninformed out-of-state buyers anytime that they have an opportunity to do so. That has been going on for decades, and the latest economic gyrations just give them another opportunity to ply their trade. If I were bereft of any moral standards, I could make a bunch of money doing it--I know the game--but I have to look at myself in the mirror every morning.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:22 AM

9,692 posts, read 11,342,791 times
Quote:
So if the country collapses what are you going to do out there on your barren scrubland with no water, shivering in -10 temps at night all winter long? I don't think sitting out there in the middle of a field is going to do much for you in that situation.

I think that valley is about one of the worst places you would want to go in that situation. It's cold and dry. It would make more sense in Appalachia where you have 4 seasons, water and decent soil.

These parcels go cheap, but they don't have any real value. You have to spend a lot of money to make them livable and then when it comes down to it, you are so isolated that adds up in costs too.

You are much better off buying something more expensive that is actually usable.

Old 04-26-2012, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
So if the country collapses what are you going to do out there on your barren scrubland with no water, shivering in -10 temps at night all winter long? I don't think sitting out there in the middle of a field is going to do much for you in that situation.

I think that valley is about one of the worst places you would want to go in that situation. It's cold and dry. It would make more sense in Appalachia where you have 4 seasons, water and decent soil.

These parcels go cheap, but they don't have any real value. You have to spend a lot of money to make them livable and then when it comes down to it, you are so isolated that adds up in costs too.

You are much better off buying something more expensive that is actually usable.
No water, surely you jest, shivering, come on now. Surely you don't think I am going at this with out a plan. I am well aware of the climate there and have been there in all 4 seasons. For those of you who could not live in such an area is it really necessary to criticize those of us whom could enjoy it? You and Jazzlover seem to be of the mind set that no one else can think clearly in there planning.

I am sure there are some who could use the extra climate information you offer but is it necessary to condemn them if they chose to buy here anyway? Just because you feel this land ha no value to you does not mean that there are those of us who feel the same way.

All land has real value to someone. I grew a very nice 2 season organic garden there the first summer I stayed there on a friends property. I stayed there 2 winters in my motor home and was very comfortable with straw stacked 3 bales high around the motor home heating with a small box wood stove.

It is a very beautiful area year round. Sure it is not a place for everyone but it is a place for some. Some of us even know how to drill our own well believe it or not. I don't think I seen a day go by where a wind turbine could not power a small place quite well. Yes, it's a harder place to live but I have lived in much harder places. Thank you for your opinion even though I disagree.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:40 AM

Quote:
It is a very beautiful area year round. Sure it is not a place for everyone but it is a place for some. Some of us even know how to drill our own well believe it or not. I don't think I seen a day go by where a wind turbine could not power a small place quite well. Yes, it's a harder place to live but I have lived in much harder places. Thank you for your opinion even though I disagree.
Get this right: I like the SLV, I have a lot of friends there, I spend a lot of time there on business. I've been doing all of that since the 1960's. I also know the climate better than most anyone, too.

I also know the water situation--much of my information directly from the people I know who manage the water resources of the valley. By the way, knowing how to drill your own well doesn't mean squat if you can't get a permit. If you want to become a mortal enemy of the people of the SLV, just start using water without a right or a permit. I guarantee you that will do the trick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado