Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2012, 01:06 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkearns2569 View Post
Hello Green....Actually I'm thinking about purchasing land down in SLV myself. I'm interested in doing the Cob Building. You should check that out. The foundation/bases are pretty simple enough and some people are building Cob on the South facing walls with straw bales on the North facing wall. Once the walls are up you can cover it up with clay/cob on the North. Check it out. Cob building seems to be the way to go and very, very cheap. Good Luck.
Welcome to city-data.

Be sure to read our existing threads on the San Luis Valley / SLV, which can easily be found with our search tool. Lots of great info in those threads. I see you've found the main one.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 01:22 PM

1 posts, read 3,964 times
Default solo-mom goes solar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJames81 View Post
Those of you that have purchased land there, did you find your property from coloradolandsale.com? Just wondering? I am a single dad of a 5 & 6 year old daughter. I live out in the country in NM but still a few too many people for me. I have lived in Monument Valley, UT and lived there with no water nor electricity do to the Navajo Nation giving the Navajos a hard time about running these lines/pipes out there. It sure was an easy way of life, a life I sure miss. I just absolutely love the desert. I want to be somewhere where I can turn my kids loose in the summer time and not have to worry about any sickos taking them. But yeah, I am wondering if anyone had gone through coloradolandsale.com to purchas their property because that is where I found 2 (atleast 1) 5 acre property(ies) that I am interested in. Thanks!

I recently bought 5 acres in the foothills of Blanca. The land is beautiful wooded peaceful, which is just what Im looking forward to. Living off the grid, simple, slow, minimal living. Im building a "get away" cabin for a start. 16 X 16 wood burning stove, tank water,& out house. I have a 7 year goal to being there permanently. My 2 year old girl won't go to middle school with 3000 kids like i did. getting out of the city soon. We will be there a lot this summer & we will stay the majority of next summer I would like to hear your plans. you can look me up on face book Sabin King (Amarillo, Tx) I look forward to hearing from you Jimmy??

Old 05-01-2013, 12:26 PM

7 posts, read 42,403 times
My husband and I bought 5 acres in Blanca, CO last year. We are going up there next month to see about drilling a well. I love the land we bought. It is mostly sagebrush, but we knew that when we bought it. Our land is super close to the Alamosa county line. It is close to the wildlife reserve. We also have road access on two sides! We have neighbors all around us already too. We figure if they can do it, so can we. We already have a plan. We are building a Hyper Adobe home. They are excellent for the dry climate. Our kids will be going to Sierra Grande School. This is a big difference from the small university town south of New Orleans we live in now. However the hardest thing for us will be adjusting to the elevation. Our current elevation is 4ft above sea level and our property in Blanca, CO is damn near 8,000ft above sea level. Also, we plan to have yaks.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 05-01-2013 at 01:14 PM.. Reason: Links to commercial real estate sites not allowed.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:31 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
Is 8,000 feet high enough for yaks? When I was visiting Nepal, it seems to me that they told me there weren't yaks until over 10k feet.

Old 05-25-2013, 07:00 PM

24 posts, read 92,278 times
well it's been years since I originally posted the first question here. To vanscoyk1115, I really hope to meet you someday. I have remembered you and your advice over the years. To everyone else, thanks for all the comments. They have painted an amazing picture of the area and people. I purchased a 5 acre parcel in the Rio Grande Estates on the valley floor. Unfortunately I have yet to visit. I am from Michigan, I am used to city life BUT my heart is elsewhere. I will be truly at home in the SLV, I long for the freedom of this kind of existence. The guy that sold me the land actually tried to discourage me by saying that there weren't any other Black people in the area I don't care about race percentages or immigrants or whatever. People are just people. As long as they are nice and respectful and have a good heart then I will be right at home.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:35 PM

1 posts, read 3,485 times
Hello! We are going to the Earthship academy in September and hope to build our own afterwards in costilla co Colorado so I'm looking online for information. My daughter willbe 2 then and I am scared of the water scarcity. My husband and I want to live off grid but I want to make sure there is a community before we buy land. Doesn't have to be big. Just a small town would suffice. We also need Internet since hubs job is internet based. Anyone have any advice or want to keep in touch please email bryzicki@gmail.com. Thank you

Old 07-07-2013, 01:37 PM

1 posts, read 3,413 times
Hello Sharia;

I am looking into buying a lot near Blanca as well. Not sure if I will be moving or building there. I am from Ohio but love visiting places. Have you done much research on the area? Like you, I am not real concerned with the ethnicity of the area. Seems like a great place to detach and unwind. I am looking for info like what stores are in the area, regulations on septic systems and wells, other such information. I am married no children so schools are not a concern.

Bill

Old 07-07-2013, 09:03 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madman960 View Post
Hello Sharia;

I am looking into buying a lot near Blanca as well. Not sure if I will be moving or building there. I am from Ohio but love visiting places. Have you done much research on the area? Like you, I am not real concerned with the ethnicity of the area. Seems like a great place to detach and unwind. I am looking for info like what stores are in the area, regulations on septic systems and wells, other such information. I am married no children so schools are not a concern.

Bill
Bill....use our search tool to find the thread on living in the san luis valley (SLV), it will have a lot of info.

Short version: Don't be fooled by low lot prices, wells and utilities can cost a fortune to put in and the winters can be long and frigid. Alamosa is the main town down there, has most stores.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:26 PM

2 posts, read 5,798 times
Hello jkearns2569. My husband and I just bought 5 acres in San Luis Valley between the resevoir and the park. I was curious if you have built your cob home yet? did you run into any problems with zoning and permits and the like? We are hoping to build a cob house and use either solar or wind energy. How are you getting water, did you drill a well or are you hauling... I am interested in any information you can provide.
Thanks!

Old 07-23-2013, 03:55 PM

1 posts, read 3,332 times
This might be helpful to some:

For those of you who have purchased land in Costilla County but are not exactly sure where it is, you can go to the treasurer's website here: Costilla County Colorado - Treasurer/Public Trustee

Scroll down and click the blue link that says PROPERTY SEARCH --------> click the "I agree" box ----------------> Then you can enter you name (or if you know the parcel #, etc.) and it will show you your property parcel number and you can download a GIS map in PDF file format that has your land marked on it.

Very Cool!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado