Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2018, 05:50 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,962,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
I appeal tax assessments all the time. Nothing to be furious about. Just get it done. If you let it go without appeal though and then are going to go back a year later and appeal, you might have bigger problems.

Why is that? I have appealed property taxes before. Never seen a "well they flew last year so we're staying put" mentality. Sometimes the clerk is interested in being fair. Sometimes they are having a "bad day" or something.

I think property taxes tend to be somewhat willy nilly after buying and selling a number of homes. This county just happens to be more willy nilly in my experience.

Having a 10' pole barn taxed as a 20' steel shop is absolutely something to be furious about. Fighting with the government is not something that civilians normally look at as "oh gee whiz, my coffee got spilled...nothing to be furious about."

Are you a professional tax assessment appealer by chance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2018, 08:20 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,548,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
Why is that? I have appealed property taxes before. Never seen a "well they flew last year so we're staying put" mentality. Sometimes the clerk is interested in being fair. Sometimes they are having a "bad day" or something.

I think property taxes tend to be somewhat willy nilly after buying and selling a number of homes. This county just happens to be more willy nilly in my experience.

Having a 10' pole barn taxed as a 20' steel shop is absolutely something to be furious about. Fighting with the government is not something that civilians normally look at as "oh gee whiz, my coffee got spilled...nothing to be furious about."

Are you a professional tax assessment appealer by chance?
No I’m not a professional tax assessment appealer. LOL I just have a few rental properties. I view it as the standard course of business.

Having the barn taxed that incorrectly means someone made a big mistake and it should be easy to fix. It sucks. People make mistakes. If you appeal and they hold firm, that would be something to be furious about in my opinion.

Old 02-23-2018, 08:35 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
No I’m not a professional tax assessment appealer. LOL I just have a few rental properties. I view it as the standard course of business.

Having the barn taxed that incorrectly means someone made a big mistake and it should be easy to fix. It sucks. People make mistakes. If you appeal and they hold firm, that would be something to be furious about in my opinion.

I have found that, in such and similar matters, being persistent and polite and very persistent and very polite goes a long way.

Old 05-18-2018, 02:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,472 times
Default I want to move to costilla county

I am coming to southern Colorado to try and find a homestead. I'm very much interested in earthships and alte alternative energy. I'm receiving a settlement for wrongful imprisonment from new Jersey. Does anyone know any contractors who can help me build an earthship? I'm aware colorado is weird about grey water. But I need to be in colorado for legal reasons. I can't practice my religion freely in tennessee.

Old 05-19-2018, 07:45 AM

1,190 posts, read 1,194,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird1980 View Post
I am coming to southern Colorado to try and find a homestead. I'm very much interested in earthships and alte alternative energy. I'm receiving a settlement for wrongful imprisonment from new Jersey. Does anyone know any contractors who can help me build an earthship? I'm aware colorado is weird about grey water. But I need to be in colorado for legal reasons. I can't practice my religion freely in tennessee.
Just curious- is there some sort of "weed" being used as sacraments?

Old 05-19-2018, 11:01 AM

8,489 posts, read 8,771,754 times
The most prominent "earthship" building area is outside Taos, New Mexico. I'd visit there, talk to contractors. See what works, what becomes a money pit, what falls apart. I'd be very selective about a contractor. Probably a lot of folks looking to do that work who are under -qualified and / or may try to rip you off. Pick someone with years of experience and excellent references. They aren't going to be the cheapest.

Focus on function. Some of the earthship owners get grandiose about living art. A lot overspend and then try to sell and can't make the money back.

Old 05-19-2018, 01:58 PM

2,289 posts, read 2,943,980 times
Try to find a used one.

Old 05-20-2018, 07:13 PM

317 posts, read 473,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
The most prominent "earthship" building area is outside Taos, New Mexico. I'd visit there, talk to contractors. See what works, what becomes a money pit, what falls apart. I'd be very selective about a contractor. Probably a lot of folks looking to do that work who are under -qualified and / or may try to rip you off. Pick someone with years of experience and excellent references. They aren't going to be the cheapest.

Focus on function. Some of the earthship owners get grandiose about living art. A lot overspend and then try to sell and can't make the money back.
Can't agree with this advice enough. I met an earthship builder crew out of Taos a few years ago in Salida. They were contracted to build a home in the area. They seemed to be far and away much more prepared than some of the DIY-ers who've attempted the same architecture here in Saguache County. I'm sure it was expensive for that crew to travel from Taos and then build all the way up in Central Colorado, but I would imagine the investment was well worth it. I haven't seen the finished home from the inside, but from the exterior it looks very well done.

If I knew the name of the group I would give you their information, but I just know that they were out of Taos and were students of a earthship-building 'school' down there.

Good luck with your search. Hope you find what you're looking for here.

Old 06-08-2018, 08:32 PM

753 posts, read 842,861 times
I was finally able to visit Costilla County a few weeks ago after reading about it for years.

Was exactly as advertised. Very rural, gorgeous views, run down properties, sparse little towns. I liked our drive through of the county. Stopped in San Luis and visited the oldest store in the state and a couple of dispensaries.

I'm considering buying a 5-acre lot between Ft. Garland and San Luis just a couple of blocks off that main road. It was so calm there at the lot. But, I get it. Lots of cons that probably outweigh the pros. Otherwise, this wouldn't be the almost untouched gem it is.

Some of you that enjoy this thread might like this book. A writer living out there documented his experience of looking for and building his off-grid home in the SLV. It's no shanty, however. Full-on home.

The Hermitage at Ojito Creek

I'll share some photos and video of my visit soon.

Old 06-08-2018, 09:16 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,378,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PcolaFLGuy View Post
I was finally able to visit Costilla County a few weeks ago after reading about it for years.

Was exactly as advertised. Very rural, gorgeous views, run down properties, sparse little towns. I liked our drive through of the county. Stopped in San Luis and visited the oldest store in the state and a couple of dispensaries.

I'm considering buying a 5-acre lot between Ft. Garland and San Luis just a couple of blocks off that main road. It was so calm there at the lot. But, I get it. Lots of cons that probably outweigh the pros. Otherwise, this wouldn't be the almost untouched gem it is.

Some of you that enjoy this thread might like this book. A writer living out there documented his experience of looking for and building his off-grid home in the SLV. It's no shanty, however. Full-on home.

The Hermitage at Ojito Creek

I'll share some photos and video of my visit soon.
You might also look at Custer County, where there is some inexpensive land as well, but not as cold or dry. Another plus is that the county has no building code, so it's a great place to build alternative housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado