U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 05:49 PM

9,817 posts, read 19,029,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shock976 View Post
Interesting story, is he still in the business?

From what i am hearing about real estate agents in Colorado, it sounds like Actors in Los Angeles, every actor is a waitor right...
It seemed like everyone I knew in Vail, Aspen, Summit County and Steamboat that had been there for a few years was a real estate agent as one of their 3 or 4 jobs!

Right now I hear from family that none of them are making sales and the ones focused on it full time are losing their homes to foreclosure and worse. They caught the boom from 2002-2007 and failed to prepare for the eventual bust. All well, too bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 03:19 PM

621 posts, read 910,148 times
Quote:
How about some cities to live, based on my criteria can I get maybe 3-5 recommendations? I need some direction so that when I come out to look at the state I know where to go and what to look for. Otherwise, I will just be going in blind with nothing to expect.
It would be ideal since you are considering Real Estate, to talk with a Real Estate agent in Colorado for many of your particular questions. As you know, they network across the states that they work.

We have cities, I guess, but compared to California are not quite discussed in the same way.

Colorado is unique in most areas. Grand Junction / Colorado Springs / Denver / Pueblo are pretty much the largest areas. Their temperature ranges and pos/negs vary.

Colorado has all four seasons all year long...LOL Many areas have reported to have snow in summer on occasion. Asking a Coloradan where you will find moderate weather will give you a lot of "ummms". We have 'em, but not every year.

With your criteria relative to weather extremes and, I would recommend Denver though you may run in to bizarre weather there as well, including the occasional tornado. Denver, being a large city, at least has insulation for those not used to the weather. If the weather gets too bad for a new "snow driver", mass transportation is available in that city and you'd be surrounded with others from CA. It may make the transition easier. I can't say that about the other areas quite as easily.

Real Estate is tough in all of the areas. Colorado Springs and Denver are suffering major problems due to the inflated market and high foreclosure rates. Denver in particular has overbuilt for their population as they have in the past, and it will be tough going for some time.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:52 AM

112 posts, read 200,587 times
What areas suburban areas of Colorado receive the least number of tornadoes? Are there any areas that get no tornadoes, or is that a stupid question? I would like to live somewhere with a population of 100,000 - 150,000 people give or take, if that helps. I really want to drive out this weekend to see some areas.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:01 AM

12,843 posts, read 23,222,667 times
Quote:
What areas suburban areas of Colorado receive the least number of tornadoes? Are there any areas that get no tornadoes, or is that a stupid question? I would like to live somewhere with a population of 100,000 - 150,000 people give or take, if that helps. I really want to drive out this weekend to see some areas.
Tornadoes are so uncommon that it'd be hard to say which suburban area gets the least of them, they all get the least of them.

They are NOT a regular occurrence, and the one that hit Windsor could have hit just about anywhere.

Give yourself two days to get here driving, two days to get back, and of course some time to look around.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:32 AM

2 days, I am going to do it in a day. I would consider myself a road trooper. I was looking at Loveland which USNEWS called as one of the top 10 cities to live in 2009. Any thoughts?

Old 01-19-2010, 05:34 AM

16,438 posts, read 18,524,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Because they participated in and contributed to the downfall of the economy.

Because they provide a service that - let's be frank here - is unnecessary. Everyone would be perfectly capable of buying and selling their own home on their own if realtors did not monopolize the market and brainwash everyone into thinking it's the only way.
I'm a little surprised you didn't get deleted by the mod. You have just said that the emperor has no clothes...Next you'll be saying that undertakers are not needed to bury people...

Old 01-19-2010, 06:14 AM

Quote:
2 days, I am going to do it in a day. I would consider myself a road trooper. I was looking at Loveland which USNEWS called as one of the top 10 cities to live in 2009. Any thoughts?
Good luck with that. If you think you can drive 1000 miles in one day, then go right ahead.

So your plan is to drive here, stay long enough to simply "see it", and turn right back around? You should stay here at least a week in order to see/feel what it's like waking up here day in and day out. If you want to make the trip a two-dayer, you could try Southwesting it (and renting a car).

I drive for a living, and 750 miles is my limit, and that's when I'm pushing myself, by myself. I tried doing Spokane to Denver in a day, and it didn't work out. I petered out in Kaycee, WY.

Loveland is nice. Not close enough to Denver to take advantage of its jobs (not that it doesn't have any of its own), however. The area is growing, mainly because of people who listen to and do what magazines tell them to.

IMO, "The Best Place to Live" is any city where an individual is happy, content, and able to provide for themselves/family comfortably. That could be anywhere.

Put the magazine under the litter box.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:07 AM

9,817 posts, read 19,029,157 times
Quote:
Tornadoes do not like uneven ground, so usually the western side of Denver or any other suburb close to the mountains is pretty safe. The eastern side of Denver on the other hand they have happened before, but with nowhere near the frequency one would find in Oklahoma. The prairie can also have them during the summer.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:42 PM

Shock, you might want to think about moving...

Tornado Warning In South Los Angeles County/Long Beach - Holy Smokes

Old 01-19-2010, 06:59 PM

David, you are funny. I just want to say that the tornado fear is more my Girlfriend than it is me. Don't get me wrong I would like to avoid them at all costs but you cannot escape everything. And if Colorado is beautiful enough to make me happy then what else do I need...

I was looking at spokane and tri-cities, but they feel like they both might be quite small and descolate, am I far off? Colorado seems to offer much more. Does anyone have photos of colorado that will give me an idea of area in all seasons? I like Pictures
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or