U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 09:49 PM

15,555 posts, read 29,302,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCVDUR View Post
Sounds like Durango, Flagstaff, Santa Fe, and Boulder aren't for me, so ...

Any ideas as to who runs South Lake Tahoe (California), and Sedona, AZ ?

Long-time locals, or, folks from the California Coast?

Thanks.
I wonder why you are drawn so to "trendy" type towns. What about Yuma, Bisbee, Holbrook? Even Kingman beats the places you mention. Barstow and Needles have a certain charm as well.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 10:04 PM

9,817 posts, read 19,051,858 times
Quote:
Boulder, Flagstaff, Santa Fe, and even the much larger Albuquerque, NM are also the same way, in my experience . . .

However, I'm looking for a small town with a low cost of living, and lower taxes than the big cities . . .

Yet it seems that in Durango, Boulder, Santa Fe, and Flagstaff, the very rich have brought their wealth and increased the cost of living for the existing population . . . by way of their fancy homes, condos, smart growth, and infilling . . . Flagstaff, AZ has a lot of folks from Southern California who are resented by the old timers . . .

Many of the Liberals in Flagstaff don't respect the locals, and try to get Liberal projects and programs through the Council using unethical tactics. There's one activist who posted names and addresses of members of the Mormon stake, who donated money to the Anti-Gay Marriage Amendment on his web site ... Ridiculous ... And other activists from out of state block Flagstaff growth, preventing the local multi-generational Contractors from building homes ... And they want Smart Growth Infilling, with multi-story condos all over town like you have in Durango; the old-timers don't like this either ...
Usually what I have found in my travels and living experiences is that people congregate in certain areas for similar reasons. There are always people outside that box, sure, but in general people are in places for a reason. Most likely some economic reasons, maybe lifestyles, maybe geographic reasons.

At least speaking about western Colorado, quite a few people like the remoteness, cold weather, winter sports, the small town feeling and so on. They don't live there because they want a duplicate of southern California. Hence when those types roll into town there is some resentment there. They see California for what it is, a failed welfare state, and don't want those types bringing their super-urban, liberal, high tax, high cost living to their town.

The same thing is going on where I moved in PA. New Jersey is another failed welfare state with high taxes and high cost of living and those people are now trying to bulldoze their way in with all the obnoxious and nasty habits New Jerseyites are known for. People around here don't like it. They see what a mess NJ is and they don't want people bringing their mess here.

So in a place like W. Colorado when you move out to one of these towns, you don't blow into town and start blowharding about this and that. Your place at the table is earned with honesty, trust, hard work, good reputation and so on. Then sometime in the future I think you have a better chance of being listened to as a local if you have an interest in local politics.

Old 01-27-2010, 12:19 AM

857 posts, read 1,350,179 times
Default Locals

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Your place at the table is earned with honesty, trust, hard work, good reputation and so on. Then sometime in the future I think you have a better chance of being listened to as a local if you have an interest in local politics.

I can't identify with that attitude.

Everyone is given a place at the table, and declared a local, on their first day of arrival in Seattle, my hometown . This isn't the case out west, and thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I wonder why you are drawn so to "trendy" type towns. What about Yuma, Bisbee, Holbrook? Even Kingman beats the places you mention. Barstow and Needles have a certain charm as well.

20yrsinBranson
I don't know what you mean by "trendy" type towns.
The places you mention are for the most part conservative places who are even more closed to outsiders than Flagstaff, Durango, Boulder, Santa Fe.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:38 AM

7,756 posts, read 16,478,914 times
Tom....have you taken a look at Blacksburg-VA ( Vrginia Tech ), or Charlottesville-VA ( UVA ), or even Boone-NC ( Appalachian State ). Boone is a small town at an elevation of approx 3500 ft, at the base of Grandfather Mountain, just a mile or two from the Blue Ridge Parkway ( BRP ). The bigger and better known city of Asheville is about a 100 miles south on the BRP. I don't know what to tell you about the political scene, so you'll have to drum that up yourself if you are interested in checking out those towns.

Old 01-27-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:

I can't identify with that attitude.

Everyone is given a place at the table, and declared a local, on their first day of arrival in Seattle, my hometown . This isn't the case out west, and thanks for the info.

I don't know what you mean by "trendy" type towns.
The places you mention are for the most part conservative places who are even more closed to outsiders than Flagstaff, Durango, Boulder, Santa Fe.
Well what a lot of people fail to realize in this country is that we all have the Freedom of Speech, however we also have the freedom to not listen either. People often forget the last part.

If one wants to be a community leader or have political office, in a small town it is unlikely you will be able to gain that status without being known and trusted by local people. It's human nature back to the dawn of history to resist outsiders trying to run their community.

And I don't believe in Seattle that someone that just turned up last week will get voted to their city council.

I think you are going to find that once you get out from behind your virtual world and enter the real world, that what matters is knowing people, making contacts, having a good reputation and so on. That you have ideas is good, but leadership is earned not given.

As an example, it's easy to talk about mandating people grow rooftop gardens but have you ever done that? Until you have extensive experience doing that it is likely most people have an interest in listening to or debating that, especially when that person just turned up in town the week before.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:56 AM

857 posts, read 1,350,179 times
Default Local Politics On The West Coast Differ From The Four Corners

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I think you are going to find that once you get out from behind your virtual world and enter the real world, that what matters is knowing people, making contacts, having a good reputation and so on. That you have ideas is good, but leadership is earned not given.
Hey there, I've explained how Seattle and vicinity works. Of course, as you say, you need a good reputation. However, unlike Durango, Santa Fe, Albuquerque, and Flagstaff, there is absolutely no requirement of connections to a multi-generational family business to get into politics ... between San Francisco and Seattle.

Look at Eugene, Oregon, or back in Seattle, where just about anyone can get involved - protests, political discussion groups, boards and committees; google the "Eugene Weekly" and find far left activists (who I generally don't agree with), but the point is, they are there.

Look, I know accountants, small business owners, contractors, etc. who have no long standing business or family connections, and have become precinct committee chairpersons and mayors in several cities between San Francisco and Seattle.

The classic example is Tim Eyman, google him from Seattle, who as a nobody drafted many successful anti-tax initiatives. He was controversial, but tolerated and comical.

Thanks for your insights, however, you're not familiar with how it is from San Francisco northward, so let's just give this a rest before its diverted to another forum.

Old 01-28-2010, 02:59 AM

1,150 posts, read 2,295,217 times
Quote:
Sounds like the West coast is best for this? Or, New England?

Tom, take a pass on New England. It sucks and so does its weather...

Old 01-28-2010, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Hey there, I've explained how Seattle and vicinity works. Of course, as you say, you need a good reputation. However, unlike Durango, Santa Fe, Albuquerque, and Flagstaff, there is absolutely no requirement of connections to a multi-generational family business to get into politics ... between San Francisco and Seattle.

Look at Eugene, Oregon, or back in Seattle, where just about anyone can get involved - protests, political discussion groups, boards and committees; google the "Eugene Weekly" and find far left activists (who I generally don't agree with), but the point is, they are there.

Look, I know accountants, small business owners, contractors, etc. who have no long standing business or family connections, and have become precinct committee chairpersons and mayors in several cities between San Francisco and Seattle.

The classic example is Tim Eyman, google him from Seattle, who as a nobody drafted many successful anti-tax initiatives. He was controversial, but tolerated and comical.

Thanks for your insights, however, you're not familiar with how it is from San Francisco northward, so let's just give this a rest before its diverted to another forum.
But I doubt most of those people that actually have power are aged 18-35.

I think you missed the point in that it's not necessary to have multi generational family and so on. It's more about you and your interaction with the community.

And I wonder how many people really listen to or care about some of the radical groups in Eugene. Sounds like a bunch of people making noise, but how many are listening?

I think for a lot of people, especially in rural Colorado, they have no need for political change or ideology. In some of these small towns if you came in and started making noise about gay rights, people would look at you like an alien. Social issues like that to a lot of those people they don't need or want or have an interest in.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:35 AM

229 posts, read 658,695 times
Try Miami.

In this country, you gotta make the money first. Then when you get the money, you get the power. Then when you get the power, then you get the women.

...or at least that's what Tony Montana told me.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:49 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,148,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movementarian View Post
Try Miami.

In this country, you gotta make the money first. Then when you get the money, you get the power. Then when you get the power, then you get the women.

...or at least that's what Tony Montana told me.
. . . then when you get the women, THEY get the money. Then repeat cycle.

(Couldn't resist.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or