U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 12:02 PM

345 posts, read 758,497 times

Advertisements

You can rely on numbers all you want and not listen to people who actually live here.

Reality: My husband has 5 furlough days a year, plus no raises for two yrs while everything has risen in price.
My hours have been cut.
My friend is about to be homeless as she had not been able to get a job for MONTHS except for delivering pizza and that has been declining as well since none of us want to waste extra money on that type of stuff.
My son was laid off when Circuit City went under and has not been able to get a job. So 25 people apply for one job instead of 250, your chances are still slim. He has been doing day labor when available until he goes into the military.
Friends of mine decided to pack it in and move out of state. Their house was on the market for a year. They decided to just loose out on any equity and let the bank take it. They took a big loss and a hard hit to their credit.

Sure the unemployment numbers are less here, so is the population; it is not an accurate comparison. Stores closing, newly built houses sitting unpurchased, houses on the market for months. Not saying that it is just here. But do not think the economy is so sunny and great here just because you look at numbers.
Sure move here, we will be happy to have the money you made elsewhere spent here.

Fort Logan is a place in Denver, not a town. Part of it is a mental hospital my husband has gone there a few times for work and I always tell him I am surprised they let him leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 12:08 PM

14,131 posts, read 26,259,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Agreed. But that can be very nepotistic--I know plenty of the people who work there and for other railroads in Colorado. It is mostly a "who you know" and "who you are related to" deal.
Yeah, that's even true on the "big boy" railroads. Small town though so probably wouldn't be too difficult to make the right friends.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:13 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,107,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Yeah, that's even true on the "big boy" railroads. Small town though so probably wouldn't be too difficult to make the right friends.
There is also the "seniority" issue. Even most small RR's like the Durango & Silverton run on the seniority system for their operating people. So, an employee may have to work years and years for them before they have accumulated enough seniority to work full-time.

I know guys on the big Class I railroads with 15-18 years of seniority that are only working one or two days a week right now. Most engineers and conductors with less than 8 years seniority are on indefinite furlough.

Yes, when they work, they get very good salaries, but that does little good if you seldom work.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:25 PM

They do have summer seasonal opportunities. This is on their website:

The 2010 Job Fair will be held Monday, April 5, 2010 from 4pm to 7pm in the D&SNGRR Museum. This will be your opportunity to meet with the hiring managers for departments that will have 2010 seasonal positions available.

Old 01-21-2010, 03:30 PM

4,267 posts, read 5,143,379 times
Quote:
Best jobs in town would be on the railroad.
Quote:
They do have summer seasonal opportunities. This is on their website:

The 2010 Job Fair will be held Monday, April 5, 2010 from 4pm to 7pm in the D&SNGRR Museum. This will be your opportunity to meet with the hiring managers for departments that will have 2010 seasonal positions available.
seasonal positions = ticket sales, gift shop cashier.

Old 01-21-2010, 04:00 PM

695 posts, read 1,656,794 times
To the OP, a few random observations:

There is a bunch of real and valuable advice here in this discussion. What you are hoping to do can be done, but not easily, and not by everyone.

My wife and I moved to Summit County about 20 years ago, at the age of 22 and 24, and did OK. We showed up and rented a small apartment, knowing no one and not having any sort of job. We found work, lived cheaply, ate a ton of mac and cheese, only skied (free pass through work) or biked for entertainment, scrimped and saved, and eventually were able to buy a lot and build a home. We were active in the community, I as a partner in a local business, and both of us in volunteer positions. Despite plans to become permanent members of the community, about the time of the birth of our second child we found the pull of a lower cost of living and warmer weather draw us to Fort Collins, where I grew up. We made good money on the house, and have been enjoying life in Fort Collins since.

I worked at a ski area in Summit County a few years prior to that, and I do know a few folks that began in service level positions (lift operators, food service, etc.), stuck with the company through all of the BS over the years, and are now permanent residents with management positions.

There may be jobs available, but they may not be what you are used to. You will likely start at the bottom. When I was an employer, I had working for me a couple of ski techs with physics and nuclear physics degrees and another with a law degree.

Like was mentioned in another response, the unemployment is low because there are always entry level jobs available due to the turnover.

On another note, the posters that mentioned that Fort Collins is not a mountain town are correct. Even "in the foothills" is a bit of a stretch. I do like it though. I find that I am close enough to recreate when I wish, but also to avoid the popular spots in the mountains during popular times.

Gone are my days of skiing 100+ days a year. As an avid bicyclist, I now enjoy the warmer front range temps. Because of the transient nature of the mountain communities, we felt like friends we made there were always moving away. Also the transient population and the party culture led us to somewhere else in order to raise our kids.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 01-21-2010, 04:02 PM

That's okay. You've got to start somewhere. I'll bet a lot of full timers started out as seasonal.

Old 01-21-2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
seasonal positions = ticket sales, gift shop cashier.
You mean I can't just show up and drive one of them steam engines?

Old 01-21-2010, 04:39 PM

4,267 posts, read 5,143,379 times
Quote:
You're the one who said that the train has the best jobs in town and noted that they are hiring. Just sayin...

Jazzlover isn't exaggerating when he says that those higher paying jobs are difficult to come by. Opportunities are very few and far in between.

Old 01-21-2010, 04:40 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,107,644 times
Quote:
Uh, no. And, in the United States or Canada (rather than Great Britain or other places), you don't "drive" a locomotive, you "run" one. Saying "drive" will flag you as a non-railroad-savvy person right off the bat.

Yes, I know you are being tongue-in-cheek, but many people wouldn't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or