U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 10:17 AM

9,817 posts, read 19,078,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCVDUR View Post
People who read these forums are either politically motivated, unemployed, or trying to relocate. The impressions from posters who respond to a query are biased. The best decisions one can make is to visit an area for themselves.

I've already been to many places in CO including Durango. I never said I was moving there in particular. I have many places under investigation. Some of these posters who use backwoods analogies against newcomers on city-data are old-timers in Colorado, and NOT the folks who I met last summer in Colorado.

On City-Data.Com as a whole, I have never seen "the locals" be as unkind towards out of staters as they are on various Colorado forums. Therefore, I just put individuals such as Jazzalover, Scott5280, Wannerroo, etc. on my ignore list. Clearly, the old-timers struggle with the liberals moving into Durango, Boulder, + Chaffee and Summit Counties. It's the same way in New Mexico and Arizona, and perhaps a reason to not consider those places in the first place, because the locals are unwelcoming.

Any one else ages 18-40 considering Boulder, Durango, Summit or Chaffee counties I strongly recommend it. Don't let these old city-data folks deter you! There are thousands of employed young 20- and 30- somethings in these places.
This is quite hysterical.

I've been encouraging all along for CCCVDUH to pack his crap and move here. He comes in here looking for discussion and advice and instead all he wants is validation. I've never seen someone so indignant and nonsensical who rejects any sort of personal experience as invalid yet considers the Brookings Institute and Money magazine as some great pseudo intellectual sources for seasonal employment in the high country.

My name and reputation is such I can dial one phone number and land anyone I wanted one of the best seasonal jobs in Colorado with good wages, perks and housing. Yet CCCVDUH is outright hostile to someone like me who has 8 years in the can of seasonal type employment, hiring and training. If he acts that way to people in this forum I can only imagine how he will treat people if he ever turns up here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 10:27 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,181,256 times
Quote:
On City-Data.Com as a whole, I have never seen "the locals" be as unkind towards out of staters as they are on various Colorado forums. Therefore, I just put individuals such as Jazzalover, Scott5280, Wannerroo, etc. on my ignore list.
Well, igonore us at your peril. IF your ever move here, and with your attitude I really hope you don't, you WILL have to deal with people like us. If your attitude in person is anything like what you display on this forum, that is going to be a very unpleasant experience for you, indeed. Most of we long-time residents that you discount as know-nothings were living and working in Colorado long before you decided to think about showing up here, and most of us will be here long after you leave. I've watched your type come and go for around 40 years now--your type don't last here.

Old 01-23-2010, 11:01 AM

2,537 posts, read 5,836,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
This is quite hysterical.

. . . Yet CCCVDUH is outright hostile to someone like me who has 8 years in the can of seasonal type employment, hiring and training. If he acts that way to people in this forum I can only imagine how he will treat people if he ever turns up here.
No need to imagine how he'll react if he turns up here; you can get a good idea if you do a search and look at some of his earlier threads/posts from his visit to Boulder this past summer. Here's one such thread he started:

Boulder Landlords And Property Managers Unwelcoming

Old 01-23-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzco View Post
No need to imagine how he'll react if he turns up here; you can get a good idea if you do a search and look at some of his earlier threads/posts from his visit to Boulder this past summer. Here's one such thread he started:

Boulder Landlords And Property Managers Unwelcoming
That made my day! I can't stop laughing!

My favorite was this one:
2. Property managers say that they'll *ONLY* rent to people with jobs!
That's ridiculous. Many of us came from parts of Arizona and California w/ double digit unemployment. Boulder has 6% unemployment, Durango 5%, etc. etc.

It's those pesky unemployment rates again. They explain and excuse everything don't they?

I keep finding more gems:

Again, this post points out the strong differences between business practices in Colorado versus the places I've spent most of my life (Seattle, Las Vegas, Oregon). Anyone will rent to you in these states w/ or w/o a job.

The best explanation for this COULD be the HIGHER conscientious personality type score (strict adherence to arbitrary rules) for Colorado compared to WA, OR, CA, and NV.
The United States of Mind - WSJ.com

Conscientious personality score. Well that is new to me, learn somethin new everyday.

Old 01-23-2010, 12:29 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,181,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
That made my day! I can't stop laughing!

My favorite was this one:
2. Property managers say that they'll *ONLY* rent to people with jobs!
That's ridiculous. Many of us came from parts of Arizona and California w/ double digit unemployment. Boulder has 6% unemployment, Durango 5%, etc. etc.

It's those pesky unemployment rates again. They explain and excuse everything don't they?

I keep finding more gems:

Again, this post points out the strong differences between business practices in Colorado versus the places I've spent most of my life (Seattle, Las Vegas, Oregon). Anyone will rent to you in these states w/ or w/o a job.

The best explanation for this COULD be the HIGHER conscientious personality type score (strict adherence to arbitrary rules) for Colorado compared to WA, OR, CA, and NV.
The United States of Mind - WSJ.com

Conscientious personality score. Well that is new to me, learn somethin new everyday.
To follow up on CCVDUH's post that you quoted:

Yes, I think Colorado would be much better place if we had laws to compel Colorado landlords to rent to broke, unemployed, out-of-state dumb***es. Damn those Colorado landlords from insisting on renting to only people who might reasonably be expected to be able to pay their rent.

Better yet, why doesn't the federal government pass regulations to compel lenders to loan money to these same kind marginal renters, so they could buy houses that they can't really afford instead? Oh, wait a minute, we already did that . . .

Last edited by jazzlover; 01-23-2010 at 12:39 PM..

Old 01-23-2010, 01:58 PM

7,756 posts, read 16,496,039 times
jazzlover wrote:
Remember a poster who was using the moniker of Tom Lane? I think CCCDVUR is Tom Lane re-incarnated.

Old 01-23-2010, 03:18 PM

377 posts, read 896,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
jazzlover wrote:
Remember a poster who was using the moniker of Tom Lane? I think CCCDVUR is Tom Lane re-incarnated.
It is Tom Lane. He just changed his name.

Old 01-23-2010, 03:22 PM

15,610 posts, read 29,362,495 times
Quote:
However, on a practical level, can 20- and 30- somethings really come to Colorado Mountain Towns this spring such as Durango, and find a job?

If you're a 20- or 30- something who moved to Colorado w/ success, any advice?
If you don't mind working for minimum wage and can wait tables *and* don't mind having two or three jobs at one time, sure you can make it there. With three or four roommates in a two-bedroom apartment/mobile home - 20 miles from town.

But the mind boggles as to why anyone would want to.

20yrsinBranson
formerly lived in Durango yeesh

Old 01-23-2010, 07:12 PM

1,994 posts, read 4,197,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DressageRider View Post
It is Tom Lane. He just changed his name.
OMG you are right. I went back to look for his posts that took up waaaay too much space in the Boulder forum and that's him, all right.

Old 01-23-2010, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post

Yes, I think Colorado would be much better place if we had laws to compel Colorado landlords to rent to broke, unemployed, out-of-state dumb***es. Damn those Colorado landlords from insisting on renting to only people who might reasonably be expected to be able to pay their rent.

Better yet, why doesn't the federal government pass regulations to compel lenders to loan money to these same kind marginal renters, so they could buy houses that they can't really afford instead? Oh, wait a minute, we already did that . . .
Maybe he can get a sweet deal with cash back at lease signing

Really I don't understand what exactly the guy is angling for. He seems to want some kind of psuedo intellectual conversation based on Money magazine and Brookings Institute reports and he doesn't want to hear about any practical, real life experience.

He strikes me as someone who has read too many books and had his head filled with too much gobbly **** at college about urban and rural living, but it is clear from what he writes he has no real world practical experience.

Quoting CCVDUH:

My west coast response to someone not paying rent? Just evict them using Colorado Landlord and Tenant Law. Why worry about someone not paying? 99% of people are honest. Most people don't want to get evicted because then they'll never be able to rent again. So most people just pay their rent. We just don't worry about those things out west. Same is true in NYC, which has one of the lowest conscientious scores in the US.

Obviously he has never seen what a royal pain it is to evict people.

The next generation of Boulderites is more progressive and radical than those currently in office. We'll increase bicycle ridership, close Pearl Street and Broadway to all traffic except bicycles, and build solar panels and plant rooftop vegetable gardens on the
29th street mall buildings and all the loft apartments

We will? I think the younger generation there is too busy smoking doobie and listening to jam band music to be planting gardens on rooftops and buying solar panels.

Well I do wish the guy good luck and hopefully he will see that theory, while interesting, isn't always reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or