U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 06:24 AM

857 posts, read 1,352,292 times

Advertisements

Several threads on Durango and Boulder, Colorado, and similar liberal college towns in other states, repeatedly ridicule "trustafarians," whatever that means, I'm not quite sure.

Well, there are many of us 20- and 30- somethings who are trying to find a place to - like, actually work and develop a career.

Where in Colorado can we FIND work, and enjoy the awesome outdoor surroundings, and also CONTRIBUTE to the community by serving on City boards dedicated to the environment and outdoors?

Colorado Mountain towns enjoy the lowest unemployment in the West right now.

4.6% Durango; about 5.5% in Ft. Collins and Boulder. Colorado has an excellent economic outlook as presented by the Brookings Institute. These statistics on the economic health of Colorado are very attractive.
Colorado Unemployment By City, County, and MCA: (this opens an excel account) http://tiny.cc/L23ak (broken link)
Brookings Report, Southwest US, Fall Quarter 2009: Mountain Monitor: Tracking Economic Recession and Recovery in the Intermountain West’s Metropolitan Areas - Brookings Institution

I don't have children, but if I did, I'd be sending them to Colorado for college or summer camp. However, these forums are very negative about Colorado, and Colorado threads get derailed into endless discussions of the housing bubble comparing Durango, Colorado and Incline Village, Nevada (been to both places, I see no demographic comparison).

Bottom line - The Colorado economy looks fantastic on paper; Colorado mountain towns have the lowest unemployment in the West. However, on a practical level, can 20- and 30- somethings really come to Colorado Mountain Towns this spring such as Durango, and find a job?

If you're a 20- or 30- something who moved to Colorado w/ success, any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 09:05 AM

10,695 posts, read 28,584,566 times
Finding a job & making a life with a career are different animals.

Low unemployment is not the same as lots of job openings.

I would guess that a Trustafarian, is a hippie with a trust fund.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:46 AM

6,187 posts, read 9,513,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mehhh View Post
An unlearned, unemployed douchebag waxing poetic about the evils of capitalism while sporting impeccable dress and "keep Boulder weird" bumper stickers. Uses liberalism as a social status barometer as oppose to a serious intellectual and moral endeavor. Lives on the wealth of his or her parents. Confuses self-indulgence with enlightenment.
So only liberals are Trustafarians? Are you forgetting the Bush clan? They've been living off the money granddaddy Prescott Bush indirectly made from Nazi Germany for 60+ years.

George W Bush thinks manual labor is a Mexican.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:47 AM

1,742 posts, read 2,627,445 times
Forgot to add, mandatory to be a pot smoker thus -farian. Many in Buena Vista and Salida. RP

Old 01-15-2010, 09:52 AM

14,131 posts, read 26,334,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
So only liberals are Trustafarians? .
Yes. Don't confuse "trustafarian" with "trust fund baby" or "lucky s***m club". The farian aspect connotes a fondness for certain herbal substances more generally partaken of by those to the left on the political spectrum. They used to be known as rich bohemians.

Back in the 70s the group disdained by the locals was "hippies with hammers" as I recall.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:02 AM

That unemployment statistic is not a good representation. The reason it's so low is most of the young people have LEFT, hence lower number. There are NO jobs for young folks in the high country. I have friends that have always found a way to get by for the last 10 years. Even being well connected they are getting blown out or should I say, economically eliminated. RP

Old 01-15-2010, 10:05 AM

6,187 posts, read 9,513,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Yes. Don't confuse "trustafarian" with "trust fund baby" or "lucky s***m club". The farian aspect connotes a fondness for certain herbal substances more generally partaken of by those to the left on the political spectrum. They used to be known as rich bohemians.

Back in the 70s the group disdained by the locals was "hippies with hammers" as I recall.
Ok replace pot with blow and booze. What do you call that?

Old 01-15-2010, 10:14 AM

14,131 posts, read 26,334,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Ok replace pot with blow and booze. What do you call that?
Bushian.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:15 AM

229 posts, read 659,353 times
If you are trying to develop a career, than the front range is your best chance. Most of the jobs are there, as is affordable housing.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:22 AM

Trustacocaboozafarian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or