U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 09:14 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,249,167 times

Advertisements

Anybody else getting sick of this inversion here in western Colorado? I`m so over it! I`m tired of waking up to 4 degrees everyday. Someone I know that has been living here all his life told me that this is the worse that he`s seen it. When he comes down to the valley for work, his eyes start to burn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 09:36 AM

16,163 posts, read 20,172,692 times
I mentioned it in the Colorado-other considerations thread yesterday. We are gonna be socked in with it for a while. I at first thought two weeks is what we would be faced with on this. Looked at the 7 day forecast on this and they are saying possible 40 by middle next week. Like it or not we're gonna have to put up with it.

It's ironic that Montrose and even Telluride has been coming in with warmer temperatures than us. We had a similar storm 7, maybe 8 years ago. It wasn't the 8 or 9 inches that we have here (that much at MY house anyway), that one was maybe 5 inches. It happens.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:39 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,249,167 times
I`m convinced that it will last through February. March can`t come soon enough.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:14 AM

10,676 posts, read 28,486,584 times
Look, The Western Slope got Stock Show weather!

It's 43 here on the other side of the divide. Not zero like "normal" during January.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:59 PM

16,163 posts, read 20,172,692 times
I noticed that! Temps in the 40"s and 50's. We generally have this type of cold from mid December to early February, gets a little old, but we'll just have to cope!

Old 01-15-2010, 01:14 PM

4,888 posts, read 8,899,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl723 View Post
Anybody else getting sick of this inversion here in western Colorado? I`m so over it! I`m tired of waking up to 4 degrees everyday. Someone I know that has been living here all his life told me that this is the worse that he`s seen it. When he comes down to the valley for work, his eyes start to burn.
Yeah it's like every single day the high isn't even above 30 deg, none of the snow is melting, you walk down the sidewalk constantly on alert for ice, when there's a wind chill it puts the temp down to 10, it's been like this since Thanksgiving. It's getting real annoying.

Old 01-15-2010, 01:27 PM

10,519 posts, read 11,623,635 times
It's been colder in Junction and Delta than here in Ridgway, and when my sisters in Delta are complaining about the gloomy clouds and snow, I'm sitting in blue skies and sunshine. I'm told that is odd. I was driving on HWY 50 out of Montrose the other day toward Delta and could see this brown haze way off in the distance.

Old 01-15-2010, 02:17 PM

7,754 posts, read 16,447,829 times
If todays high fails to rise above freezing, this will be the 23rd consecutive day with below freezing temperatures.....all day long. The Grand Junction record is 28 days in a row. Heck, since we're so close to the record, I'm hoping for 29 days in a row...to set a new record. Might as well live thru a record on the cold end of the spectrum. In the summer of '08, we had 52 consecutive days with high temps of 90 or above which broke the old record of 51 by one day. Temperature records are funny animals. Initially the hot trend, or the cold trend, is rather annoying. Then I grudglingly accept that's the way it is. When it advances to within striking distance of an old record, then I usually jump on the banwagon and hope for a new record. It's a weird evolution of attitude!

Speaking of the brown haze. When I lived in Boulder in '71, I can remember an eery looking orange-brown haze hanging over Denver that was plainly visible from the Flatirons. I called it the orange death cloud. The current Grand Valley haze doesn't begin to compare to the nastiness of that Denver haze in the 70s. Not even close!

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 01-15-2010 at 02:26 PM..

Old 01-15-2010, 03:56 PM

2,437 posts, read 7,106,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
If todays high fails to rise above freezing, this will be the 23rd consecutive day with below freezing temperatures.....all day long. The Grand Junction record is 28 days in a row.
Really? It's been in the 40's and 50's here (elev. 7250 ft) all week. On Wednesday it almost hit 60F and I took a little catnap in the sun at the top of Chautauqua peak (elev. 8,340 ft.) during my afternoon jog - Lovin' it!. Feel free to visit anytime, Cos.

Old 01-15-2010, 08:25 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,091,437 times
People act like the inversion is something new or unusual. Winter inversions in Rocky Mountain valleys west of the Continental Divide are common all the way from Canada to New Mexico. East of the Continental Divide, the winds--the predominant westerlies that blow across most of the US most of the time--spill over the Continental Divide from the west, compress, accelerate, and warm as they hit the plains east of the Front Range. This is the Chinook that warms the air and melts the snow along the Front Range--and can help disperse air pollution there.

The areas west of the Continental Divide get much less wind, which allows the inversion to set up. Once an inversion is in place, it usually takes a storm front to generate enough wind to break the inversion. That can be a double-edged sword, because snow on the ground will help form an inversion after the storm passes. So, the pattern often is: snowstorm, days or even weeks of inversion, a snowstorm that breaks the inversion (the old western Colorado joke is that when it warms up in winter, you know it's going to snow), clearing with colder temperatures, and the re-forming of the inversion. Wash, rinse, repeat.

This winter, the main catalyst to form the very long-lasting inversion and cold temperatures was the unseasonably large snow storm in the western valleys the week before Christmas. With the heavy snowcover on the ground, the inversion became firmly entrenched.

Yes, during an inversion, the air quality can get awful in the western Colorado valleys. Add more population and it will look like the Wasatch Front does in Utah as far as air quality goes--the atmospheric conditions and geography are pretty similar. By the way, this winter the Wasatch Front has had some of the worst air quality in the nation for several weeks now. Just another example of what "beautiful Colorado's" future is going to look like if we keep cramming more people and sprawl in here--not to mention what oil shale development could do to the air (and water) quality in western Colorado.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado