Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 04:42 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,126,886 times

Advertisements

So what do Coloradans think about Hick? Successful business background, educated geologist who worked around the state. As my mayor, I like him and think he's done good for the city of Denver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 04:48 PM

26,138 posts, read 48,794,438 times
He doesn't seem way out there on either extreme, a good start. I suspect he's more middle of the road, a sort that most people can get along with. As a business man he'll know what it's like to be a provider of jobs and won't go off on any anti-business crusades.

For sure we're going to hear all sorts of opinions in this thread, so as the MODERATOR, I urge us all to engage in polite discourse.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:52 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,219,700 times
I've always thought Hickenlooper was a good mayor. I'll most likely vote for him in November.

Old 01-12-2010, 05:01 PM

12,259 posts, read 24,386,371 times
I was hoping for Salazar but I am ok with Hickenlooper. He has done some great things for the Denver area including LODO. He just needs to get out and let the rest of the state know his accomplishments, once he does then I think he has a great chance. One thing I read that is interesting is the republicans think they can't run against his record so they want to call him "Hicken Ritter" to try and tie him with Governor Ritter. Not sure that will work but it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:51 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,126,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I was hoping for Salazar but I am ok with Hickenlooper. He has done some great things for the Denver area including LODO. He just needs to get out and let the rest of the state know his accomplishments, once he does then I think he has a great chance. One thing I read that is interesting is the republicans think they can't run against his record so they want to call him "Hicken Ritter" to try and tie him with Governor Ritter. Not sure that will work but it will be interesting to see how it plays out.
Hicken-Ritter? lol! Personally I don't have any issues with Ritter. No states are in great condition right now (well, maybe ND) and we're certainly not in the worst shape compared to other states. And thanks to him, gay couples can adopt and both be legal parents now. Hickenlooper can brew beer - that's a big plus for me! That and keeping Denver moving forward over the years.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:51 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,835,993 times
Horrible last name.

Seriouslly, I couldn't care. I don't vote or pay attention to politics. Life is so much less stressful when you don't get involved with politics. Either way, we all die and life goes on.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:50 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,393,957 times
As far as the two front runners, McInnis and Hickenlooper, I will say right up front that I disagree with BOTH of them on some pretty major, critical issues. That said, I've met Hickenlooper and I found him to be an intelligent, decent sort. I consider Scott McInnis a personal friend, and I have been on a first-name basis with him for close to 20 years now. However, if either of them were to be elected, and follow either what they have espoused in their public statements so far, or if they follow their respective party lines, then I think Colorado is going to be in for a rough time. We need fresh thinking that will lead this state (and this nation) in a much different direction. We're probably not going to get that because materially spoiled, suburban-sprawl brainwashed, automobile-addicted spoiled brat Americans are not going to shift their thinking to where this country needs to go--and they are going to elect politicians who will promise them (however unfulfillable the promises are) to get the fun party going again. So, from either candidate, we're likely to get more of the same, even if it is killing the environment, heritage, and economy of this state and this country. And I would (and will) have no reluctance to tell either candidate exactly that if I get the chance.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:50 PM

12,259 posts, read 24,386,371 times
Yes but to us political geeks this is our lives!

Old 01-14-2010, 11:32 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,944,363 times
Ordinarily, a Denver mayor would be have no chance of winning election to any statewide office. Too much hate for big, bad Denver from the rest of the state, and even from the metro Denver suburbs.

If anyone can do it, though, Hickenlooper is the guy. He's probably the most popular mayor in suburban Metro Denver in recent memory -- the suburbs love this guy. So, he'll probably do well in Metro Denver. That's important, since over half the state lives in Metro Denver (especially if you count Boulder County, though Democrats will always run well there as a given). Usually, if a candidate wins the suburban Jefferson and Arapahoe counties, you can safely say that they win the state.

It won't be a cakewalk, though. This is probably the first election cycle in many years where any Democrat will have serious headwinds from the national political cycle, though for a gubernatorial election the environment won't be quite as bad. Fortunately for him, Hickenlooper has the benefit of being an outsider with few ties to national Democrats. Still, there are many republicans and independents who would have been happy to vote for Hick 4 years ago who won't vote for any Democrat today, no matter who he is.

Hickenlooper will also still have to sell himself to the rest of the state, where "Mayor of Denver" will at the very least won't be much of a selling point. Overall, Scott McInnis likely will have an advantage over Hickenlooper west of the divide for that reason.

Scott McInnis has problems too. He's going to have a bit of a tough time selling himself as an outsider, given his long political history both in Denver and in Washington, plus his years as a lobbyist. In addition, he hasn't exactly lit the world on fire since he started his campaign, making a number of rookie mistakes, even though he's far from a rookie.

Overall, I'd say Hick has the best chances of any Democrat on the ballot in November. He's in many ways the ideal candidate for ticket-splitting, much like Ken Salazar was before him. If he can sell himself that way, then he has a good chance. Still, I'd put Hick's starting odds in this one at no greater than 50-50. In fact, I'd say that McInnis starts out with a slight advantage.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:54 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,942,922 times
Rasmussen has Mcinnis leading the polls slightly, 45% to 42% over Hickenlooper. That was as of the 6th of January. This early in a race, that's essentially a tie race, depending on the margin for error.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado