U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 09:33 AM

42 posts, read 74,823 times

Advertisements

I'm not from NC from FL. I currently moved to the NC Mtns cause needed nice quite place to rehab and get back in shape before I return to work. The NC Mtns provided a place w/ reasonable weather nice residents and a very affordable economy.

But when I move to places I always size them up as compared to Miami,Ft. Luad, and Jacksonville FL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 09:48 AM

4,925 posts, read 8,949,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD Ryan View Post
I'm a 35y/o single man in the medical field. I'm looking for a few things in a future home.

An area that would interest me most is a city that offers a bunch of extracurricular activities both in doors and out, and a place where the residents are friendly and where it'd be easy to meet new folks. One of the big criteria for me is that the area not only experiences all the annual seasons but gets it's fair share of snow, you see I've never lived in it and rarely seen it.

Professionally I'd like a place that offers a lot of career opportunities ie medical and clinical facilities.
Sounds like the Front Range (Denver, Boulder, Colorado Springs) is your best bet.

Quote:
A Physician I work w/ now has told me that he lived in Grand Junction CO, if that's correct he said they get plenty of snow and have wonderful medical facilities, as well as a VA Hospital is that the case?
Not true about the snow. Usually GJ gets very little snow (this year an exception.)

As for the medical stuff, yeah there's quite a bit of that around here. It seems so many people are employed in the medical field. There's St. Mary's Hospital, the VA Hospital, Rocky Mountain Health Plan headquarters, etc.

That said, however, I'd like to steer you away from Grand Junction and recommend the front range instead. Grand Junction is very small and isolated and has nothing to offer in terms of indoor activities. There's not much culture or variety here. It's also difficult to make new friends. I've heard this mentioned several times by people who move here from out of state. Just the other day, my boss was telling me the common trend is it takes about three years to establish a social life here. People are polite, but most of the people who live here have already established their social networks a long time ago, and are not interested in meeting new people. Also it's a very family oriented town, and people are spend a lot of time with their families.

Since you're single, I'm assuming you'd want to date. You will find this extremely difficult in Grand Junction. Several single people of different age groups and backgrounds have complained to me about it and some of them have left the area to move to better grounds.

Denver gives you the best of all worlds: lots of snow, cultural activities, outdoors, city life for singles.

Old 01-18-2010, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Sounds like the Front Range (Denver, Boulder, Colorado Springs) is your best bet.

Not true about the snow. Usually GJ gets very little snow (this year an exception.)

As for the medical stuff, yeah there's quite a bit of that around here. It seems so many people are employed in the medical field. There's St. Mary's Hospital, the VA Hospital, Rocky Mountain Health Plan headquarters, etc.

That said, however, I'd like to steer you away from Grand Junction and recommend the front range instead. Grand Junction is very small and isolated and has nothing to offer in terms of indoor activities. There's not much culture or variety here. It's also difficult to make new friends. I've heard this mentioned several times by people who move here from out of state. Just the other day, my boss was telling me the common trend is it takes about three years to establish a social life here. People are polite, but most of the people who live here have already established their social networks a long time ago, and are not interested in meeting new people. Also it's a very family oriented town, and people are spend a lot of time with their families.

Since you're single, I'm assuming you'd want to date. You will find this extremely difficult in Grand Junction. Several single people of different age groups and backgrounds have complained to me about it and some of them have left the area to move to better grounds.

Denver gives you the best of all worlds: lots of snow, cultural activities, outdoors, city life for singles.
Yeah I figured as much I know some people that live where I'm at now and they've lived in Boulder and said that it's a nice area and that I'd be better off in a place like Denver seeing as how I'm from the largest city in the US.

The Doc I worked w/ told me about GJ cause of the VA hosp, strange though about the lack of snow cause I told him that was a key reason for my move.

Right now I have 3 places to visit this spring and summer and fall, Salt Lake UT, Minneapolis MN, and Denver, CO. But now that I'm hearing some far out stuff on SL UT about how everyone there is so religious etc. I figured it'd be diff to meet a woman that's not a bible thumper, so I'm having 2nd thoughts on it.

Being in the Med Field many folks are pushing me to CA. I worked w/ a Surgeon in Ft.Laud FL who tried to get me to move to SD CA 5yr ago all he ever talked about was how nice and beautiful the weather is out that way, even the folks I"ve met recently telling me that CA is hurting bad for Nurses, but the Econ is worst in CA, and no matter the job opps I've been told by many many and even seen interviews of people saying the type of residents in CA are not friendly at all.

So guess it will be visiting Denver and Minneapolis this springs and summer.

Old 01-18-2010, 04:38 PM

7,756 posts, read 16,499,096 times
TD Ryan wrote:
A Physician I work w/ now has told me that he lived in Grand Junction CO, if that's correct he said they get plenty of snow and have wonderful medical facilities, as well as a VA Hospital is that the case?
Although there is little snow accummulation in Grand Junction, what little that does accummulate, can and does stay on the ground for quite awhile. On December 8th there was an unusually heavy snowfall of 8-10 inches, and today 41 days later, much of it is still on the ground. In previous years, I've seen just 2 or 3 inches hang around for 3 or 4 weeks. Fortunately, the main roads are generally free of snow as soon as the sun comes out after a snowfall. The residential areas however do not get plowed. The road in front of my house is still mostly a sheet of ice from the December 8th snowfall.

Based on your desire for a larger population center, Grand Junction is probabaly not your cup of tea. However, if it's on your short list, don't let the comments on this forum keep you from making a visit to form your OWN impressions. You might find it to be a pleasant surprise. And even if you don't like it, at least you'll know that for certain. Having made a visit, you'll be less likely to second guess the place that you do choose for your new home, and you won't be wondering what might have been in Grand Junction. You can follow I-70 for much of your route between Denver and SLC and make a stop in Grand Junction along the way. Grand Junction is almost midway between those two cities. Both cities are more than 200 miles form Grand Junction which is the biggest city for many miles around.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 01-18-2010 at 05:00 PM..

Old 01-18-2010, 04:45 PM

4,925 posts, read 8,949,591 times
You'll get plenty of snow in Denver, so no worries there.
I've heard Minneapolis is a nice city if you don't mind the cold long winter.
My sister lives in San Diego and I've been there before. Great weather. Nice town.
SLC is the Mormon capital and most of the city is built by and for Mormons. Nothing wrong with that. But if you're not a terribly religious person you might feel out of place.

My personal "top 10" list of cities that I'd like to live is the following, in no particular order. Based on my personality, the weather, cultural opportunities, etc.

San Diego
Denver
Seattle
San Francisco
New York City

Old 01-18-2010, 06:37 PM

9,817 posts, read 19,082,538 times
One place you might want to consider is the Vail Valley Medical Center and the associated Steadman clinic, which is pretty much the place to go for knee surgery and repair.

Vail of course isn't a big city, but you'll have plenty of snow and skiing.

There is also a big cancer treatment clinic in Edwards down the road.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
You'll get plenty of snow in Denver, so no worries there.
I've heard Minneapolis is a nice city if you don't mind the cold long winter.
My sister lives in San Diego and I've been there before. Great weather. Nice town.
SLC is the Mormon capital and most of the city is built by and for Mormons. Nothing wrong with that. But if you're not a terribly religious person you might feel out of place.

My personal "top 10" list of cities that I'd like to live is the following, in no particular order. Based on my personality, the weather, cultural opportunities, etc.

San Diego
Denver
Seattle
San Francisco
New York City
Yeah those I've spoken to about living in MN all have said like your self that the long cold winters can get to u, but I usually tell them that where Im from in Fl we have all the Northerners move down to the South and talk about how much they love the weather, well yeah it's the opposite of what they grew up in kinda like what I'm going thru.

I grew up in the heat and Hurricanes etc etc. and now my own home state is over run by nasty northerners who come down and act as if it's their state now, not to mention all the illegals that are flocking to the state and crime has utterly shot thru the roof.

So places like a Denver or a MN are smaller versions of home w/ some of the same appeal, and what I consider better weather.

By the way are u in Denver? Are the people there nice?

Old 01-19-2010, 08:21 AM

57 posts, read 166,540 times
Default just say no to the vail valley

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
One place you might want to consider is the Vail Valley Medical Center and the associated Steadman clinic, which is pretty much the place to go for knee surgery and repair.

Vail of course isn't a big city, but you'll have plenty of snow and skiing.

There is also a big cancer treatment clinic in Edwards down the road.

Sure, move to the Vail Valley if you don't mind living in an area with the 'peter pan' syndrome. No one ever seems to grow up or want to act like an adult. I have lived in the valley for four years now, and hated every minute of it. Simply due to the fact that all the other locals want to do is get drunk and go skiing, even if they have a legitimate career within the valley. Not to mention the horrible cost of living...there is no way anyone can buy a home/condo these days unless they have a family fortune waiting around in their back pocket. The average cost of a single bedroom unit, if you can find one is between 850-1000/month.

Great medical centers: yes. Opportunity for doing things other than drinking and skiing/boarding: no.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 01-19-2010 at 09:15 AM..

Old 01-19-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgegirl37 View Post
Sure, move to the Vail Valley if you don't mind living in an area with the 'peter pan' syndrome. No one ever seems to grow up or want to act like an adult. I have lived in the valley for four years now, and hated every minute of it. Simply due to the fact that all the other locals want to do is get drunk and go skiing, even if they have a legitimate career within the valley. Not to mention the horrible cost of living...there is no way anyone can buy a home/condo these days unless they have a family fortune waiting around in their back pocket. The average cost of a single bedroom unit, if you can find one is between 850-1000/month.

Great medical centers: yes. Opportunity for doing things other than drinking and skiing/boarding: no.

Just my 2 cents.
Ouch! Why so angry? The rent u posted is about what im used to paying in FL and where I currently live in the NC Mtns.

That being said are they atleast friendly drunks?

Old 01-19-2010, 11:54 AM

57 posts, read 166,540 times
Yes, there are plenty of friendly drunks and friendly people for that matter. I am just not a skier or boarder and don't have a job which allows me to get drunk during the week, even if I chose to. All of the cost of living prices are inflated simply due to the fact that it is "vail". Yet, go over the pass towards copper or breck and things are cheaper by far. As for rent, it wouldn't be that bad if people were paid in accordance to how much it costs to live here, which we are not.

The area is beautiful, people are nice, but it is truly a small town with many individuals who move here to never have to make life decisions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or