U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 12:11 PM

9,817 posts, read 19,100,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgegirl37 View Post
Sure, move to the Vail Valley if you don't mind living in an area with the 'peter pan' syndrome. No one ever seems to grow up or want to act like an adult. I have lived in the valley for four years now, and hated every minute of it. Simply due to the fact that all the other locals want to do is get drunk and go skiing, even if they have a legitimate career within the valley. Not to mention the horrible cost of living...there is no way anyone can buy a home/condo these days unless they have a family fortune waiting around in their back pocket. The average cost of a single bedroom unit, if you can find one is between 850-1000/month.

Great medical centers: yes. Opportunity for doing things other than drinking and skiing/boarding: no.

Just my 2 cents.
Yes there is plenty of that nightlife and all, but I always preferred just eating out instead. I never really got into the partying.

Most of the stuff in the 850-1000 $ range is crap, so $1200-$1500 is more realistic I think.

But I think for an experience it's a good place as you have all the winter sports and summer sports, plenty of festivals and concerts, plenty of places to eat out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 12:45 PM

3 posts, read 6,489 times
Default Moving to Colorado

Ryan, As a Colorado native, I'd advise you to look at the Boulder area, plenty to do all year round. The mountains are close, yet we have really nice weather all year on the front range. Lots of close cities with plenty of singles, wish I was 30 yrs. younger!

Old 01-24-2010, 04:48 PM

42 posts, read 74,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cranfordusa1 View Post
Ryan, As a Colorado native, I'd advise you to look at the Boulder area, plenty to do all year round. The mountains are close, yet we have really nice weather all year on the front range. Lots of close cities with plenty of singles, wish I was 30 yrs. younger!
I'm reading alot about the front range and back range etc. What does all that encompass? What areas does it refer to ?

Old 01-24-2010, 05:44 PM

4,949 posts, read 8,966,326 times
Front Range are the towns and cities along I-25. Actually the Front range are the set of mountains immediately to the west of the Denver area.

Old 01-24-2010, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Front Range are the towns and cities along I-25. Actually the Front range are the set of mountains immediately to the west of the Denver area.
Then is Denver considered the back range, Mtn area? Thanks for indulging me w/ this just want to understand the lingo.

Old 01-24-2010, 06:30 PM

12,866 posts, read 23,364,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD Ryan View Post
Then is Denver considered the back range, Mtn area? Thanks for indulging me w/ this just want to understand the lingo.
No, Denver is considered the Front Range, which is virtually the entire I-25 corridor from Fort Collins to Pueblo. The Front Range is named after the first range of mountains to the west of Denver.

Denver is not in the mountains.

I don't know what a "Back Range" is.

Old 01-24-2010, 06:47 PM

9,817 posts, read 19,100,629 times
Quote:
You probably mean the Western Slope.

Denver is on the Front Range. For simplicities sake, The Front Range has a steep upward climb in elevation to the Continental Divide from Denver, while the Western Slope starts on the western side of the Continental Divide and makes a gradual descent downward to the border with Utah.

If you pull out a rand mcnally road map, the long straight blob of cities from Ft. Collins to Pueblo is Front Range, most of which sits next to the mountains but on flat prairie grasslands.

The Front Range is where you find Colorado's urban cities. The Western Slope is mountains, ski resorts, various towns, high desert and most of the terrain is still devoid of people.

Old 01-24-2010, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
You probably mean the Western Slope.

Denver is on the Front Range. For simplicities sake, The Front Range has a steep upward climb in elevation to the Continental Divide from Denver, while the Western Slope starts on the western side of the Continental Divide and makes a gradual descent downward to the border with Utah.

If you pull out a rand mcnally road map, the long straight blob of cities from Ft. Collins to Pueblo is Front Range, most of which sits next to the mountains but on flat prairie grasslands.

The Front Range is where you find Colorado's urban cities. The Western Slope is mountains, ski resorts, various towns, high desert and most of the terrain is still devoid of people.
Thank U much for the help!

Old 01-25-2010, 09:03 AM

4,949 posts, read 8,966,326 times
Quote:
The Front Range = towns and cities along I-25.

Old 02-06-2010, 11:44 AM

Location: The most beautiful town in the US, Durango Colorado!
2 posts, read 2,478 times
I agree with CAVA1990, take a look at Durango. I moved here last year and although I may be biased, I believe that this is the greatest place to live in Colorado! If you're in the medical field, you're already well-suited for the area, as there are many medical facilities in town, including the new hospital, Mercy, as well as the Animas Surgical Center, and other facilities in nearby towns such as Cortez and Farmington.

As far as "a city that offers a bunch of extracurricular activities both in doors and out, and a place where the residents are friendly and where it'd be easy to meet new folks." you just described Durango! There is something to do outside every day of the year! Between world-class biking, to hiking, kayaking, rafting, fishing in the spring/summer, to skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, cross-country skiing and everything imaginable in the winter, you'll never tire of outdoor activities. Regarding indoor activities, there's always live music somewhere, and the restaurants here are diverse and wonderful!

My recommendation would be to visit and see for yourself. If you wish to fly (which isn't a bad idea this time of year), Durango's airport receives at least 8 flights a day from Denver, and if you plan in advance, it isn't too bad, price-wise. Otherwise, take a couple of days and drive so that you can appreciate the surrounding areas on the drive in to Durango, which I find to be absolutely breathtaking. Stay in a hotel or check out www.vrbo.com for a place to stay while you're in town. Also, feel free to send me an PM, I'd be happy to provide some additional insight. Good luck, check out some of the local medical facilities, and let me know if I can help. See you here soon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or