U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 01:10 AM

857 posts, read 1,346,168 times

Advertisements

[quote=[B]80skeys[/b];12499804]You're trying to make it sound like a 16,000 population town is some sort of melting pot. It isn't. It doesn't convince me and it's not going to convince someone coming from a real city.

CCCVDUR WRITES: I think that Durango COULD be better than, in this case - Metro Phoenix, 4 Million, where the OP says they live (and where I'm about to leave). Phoenix is one of the LEAST culturally accepting places in the US, with the Sheriff now under some sort of investigation. Arizona was the last state to celebrate Martin Luther King Jr. Day (today), etc.

I'm sure there's a few scientists hanging around, but is it a scientific community - no. There is no major scientific employer anywhere in the area.

Relatively speaking, not that many in Phoenix, either, at least compared to places such as Denver. Durango has its share of Geologists as does neighboring Farmington, NM.

There's a handful of galleries but does that make it an "artistic city" - no.
There's a few Hispanics and Indians, but the town is mostly white/caucasian. There's a small college that quite frankly pales compared to UC Boulder, DU, or School of Mines.

Phoenix: Arizona State Univ and other Arizona colleges all facing budget cuts, tuition increases; Northern AZ University in Flagstaff just closed its world renowned High Altitude Sports Training Center . . . I think I'd rather earn residency status in Colorado so I could sent my kids to UC Boulder . . . Colorado has seen 17 months of about 6% unemployment since the Stock Market Crash of 9-15-08 . . .

Under no circumstances can it be said Durango is a mix of professions, culture, and social opportunities. The opposite is true. It is predominantly a very small town with a few sprinkles of "culture" thrown in.

Phoenix is a very large town with a few sprinkles of "culture" thrown in. Arizona was the last state to celebrate today, Martin Luther King Day. Arizona also doesn't have a statewide Gay Rights ordinance, unlike most Western States, including Colorado. It's also a Right to Work State, and is one of only a handful of states to not sign the ERA (for women) to the Constitution.

It's the type of town that may impress you with its novelty when you first move there, but once you've been to the same venues repeatedly, you quickly realize how small it is.

Phoenix, precisely. Wide boulevards with palo verde trees, homes all the same color in gated HOA communities, it looks the same whether you're in the town of Buckeye to the West, or Mesa in the East.

THe original poster wants to know whether to move her kids there. If you want your kids growing up in an isolated town - both in location and mentality, a town that is unique due to being a "mountain town" with wealthy people who own the land and the rest of the people who provide services to them, then go for it.

Phoenix, precisely. It's the rich versus the poor working class. Very few unions, unlike Colorado. No Middle Class in Phoenix. You either live in a nice house behind a wall, or you don't.

However if you want your kids to have a balanced, normal childhood existence with a reasonable amount of exposure to the outside world

Phoenix follows an atypical pattern of city development. There's essentially no downtown, and it has its beginnings in agricultural settlements, followed by development into a mega-sunbelt town. It has a history of discrimination against Native Americans, Gays, and African Americans. Long commutes of up to 50 miles in heavily polluted air leave no time for leisure activities.

There are better choices than Phoenix in my opinion. Durango is small, however, Durango is a well-educated, thriving small town w/ a much higher social conscience than Phoenix . . . certainly a "mini-Boulder" in this regards . . .

Last edited by CCCVDUR; 01-19-2010 at 01:30 AM.. Reason: mistake
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 01:25 AM

857 posts, read 1,346,168 times
Default Family Life In Phoenix And Durango

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
It sounds like the OP is coming from a megasuburb (Phoenix being a car-dependent area anyway) and not like the kids are used to anything like an urban environment. Now, they might be used to various sports or stuff that they must be driven to and from. I don't think suburban Phoenix is exactly a city environment, and most suburbs are segregated by income, anyway.
You mention PHX - I'll describe Phoenix and then ask a key question comparing it to Durango.

The Phoenix metro consists of a number of incorporated municipalities (Phoenix, Glendale, Peoria, Mesa, Tempe, Apache Junction, Buckeye, Goodyear, Sun City, Scottsdale), each consisting of "urban villages" that are isolated from each other.

These "urban villages" are housing developments created over the years, often times walled off from each other, complete with their own grocery stores, schools, and Churches.

One's daily activities in Phoenix and its burbs focus around their "urban village," and there isn't much civic engagement with Phoenix -- in part because there isn't much of a downtown.

The City and its burbs has one of the best urban park systems in the world, along with a fantastic bike lane network on very wide streets.

The high unemployment, lack of civic involvement, and not knowing where/how to make friends is what many dislike the most about the area.

Given these factors about Phoenix, wouldn't Durango with a vibrant downtown, sense of community, and virtually no parts of the City that are isolated from others, provide a better environment for a family?

ref: Metropolitan Phoenix | Gober, Patricia

Old 01-19-2010, 09:21 AM

4,888 posts, read 8,899,377 times
OMG wow. Boy did I ever step on some people's toes when it comes to their beloved Durango!

Folks, I grew up in a city with a large world class art scene, communities of ethnic populations and wide variety of industry. Durango simply does not hold a candle to such a place. There's no way to slice it any different.

THat said, Durango is a lovely little town. I have enjoyed staying there on multiple occasions.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:00 AM

14,131 posts, read 26,246,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Folks, I grew up in a city with a large world class art scene, communities of ethnic populations and wide variety of industry. Durango simply does not hold a candle to such a place. There's no way to slice it any different.
San Francisco or New York? Those are the only two I can think of in the U.S. that fit that description.

Quote:
THat said, Durango is a lovely little town. I have enjoyed staying there on multiple occasions.
[patronizing pat on head] Some of my best friends are .....

Old 01-19-2010, 10:08 AM

4,267 posts, read 5,139,816 times
Quote:
Where are you talking about? Certainly it wasn't Phoenix.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:49 AM

621 posts, read 909,531 times
80skeys:

The point of my posts were to answer the OPs questions relative to Durango.

You replied to my posts with false information. THIS is what stepped "on my toes", to use your words.

As a person with children living in the area, my posts were intended to provide the OP the information requested, not to beat on my chest proving Durango to be the best place in the world to live.

I believe you're confused with the purpose of this thread. Having never lived in or around Durango with children, you are not qualified to answer the OP's questions, in my opinion. And, since the OP does not have a job where you grew up, wherever that is, your discussion of your hometown is irrelevant for now.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:19 AM

Don't be too hard on 80s cause he took the contrarian view. I think his intent was to contrast what it's like for kids to grow up in a big city versus a small town. You're probably the only on the thread qualified to speak to raising kids there. I can only relate through family who grew up there and really liked it.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:30 AM

His contrarian view was argued using misinformation and with no factual background other than small town stereotyping and his childhood.

However, since you think I'm being hard on him I'll stop commenting.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinstyler View Post
However, since you think I'm being hard on him I'll stop commenting.
Not altogether I hope. There's a dearth of Durango denizens on here and your perspectives as a fairly long time local resident are really valuable.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:31 PM

I'm not stopping altogether. No worries! D
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or