U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 03:26 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,190,952 times

Advertisements

Coming from AZ and PHX myself, I would say give Durango a chance. My family moved me from AZ to Saguache, CO and what a difference! They moved me my senior year in high school and I ended up having a graduating class of 10. I didn't like the move at first but I must admit it opened my eyes in the sense that there was something else out there- something different. PHX wasn't the world, there was more to the world than what I was used to. I learned those who lived in Saguache saw their town as thier world too and I remember thinking how interesting it was that they had no idea what city was really like. How floored I was that people ran to the store and left the house unlocked, the garage door up, cars unlocked, etc. The drama was also different, the news was different. PHX has its picks of what murders to broadcast whereas in CO they talked about the same news for months.
If anything, move to Durango, try it out for size and then decide later whether or not to stay or head back to PHX.
I personally discovered that CO is for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 01:54 PM

118 posts, read 268,001 times
For what it's worth, my wife and I both telecommute so we can live virtually anywhere in North America. We've spent most of our lives in the metropolitan New York City area (which I think qualifies as a proper city per 80's guidelines?). We recently moved to Durango largely because we want to raise our daughter in a place like this, rather than a large Metro area or it's surrounding suburbia.

To each, his or her own...

on edit: We've been here for a few months now and we couldn't be happier. Furthermore, i can confidently say our daughter won't grow up without plenty of exposure to arts, literature, culture and diversity, whether it's found locally or otherwise.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:28 PM

14,131 posts, read 26,250,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchasse View Post
For what it's worth, my wife and I both telecommute so we can live virtually anywhere in North America. We've spent most of our lives in the metropolitan New York City area (which I think qualifies as a proper city per 80's guidelines?). We recently moved to Durango largely because we want to raise our daughter in a place like this, rather than a large Metro area or it's surrounding suburbia..
Note to Jazzlover. Exactly what I've been saying. The telecommuters are on their way.

Old 01-21-2010, 04:45 PM

229 posts, read 657,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Note to Jazzlover. Exactly what I've been saying. The telecommuters are on their way.
Look out Bangalore - Durango is nipping at your heels!

Old 01-21-2010, 04:59 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,095,377 times
Quote:
Yes, there are telecommuters. I work them every day. But, they still rely on other industries to be healthy in order to make a living. They also run the risk of outsourcing to places outside of the United States. That "portability" can cut both ways. In fact, that has happened to some telecommuters I have known who have lived in this region. Somebody in India or somewhere is doing their job now.

Also, I would imagine, based on his timing, that the guy from NYC was an equity locust, too, that brought a bunch of money with him to Durango to buy at the area's inflated prices. That did help soften the blow for a lot of transplants--I think those days are about over . . .

I also surmise from his post that he and his family think that they will be able to get out of Durango frequently to enjoy the "outside world" whenever they want to. Given what I think is coming soon to our energy/transportation system in this country, I think that is a big fat assumption that most people are making that is not likely to stay true. Most ex-urbanites will find rural Colorado very confining if they no longer can get to the outside world on a whim. Already, most air service in rural Colorado is much sparser and way more expensive than it was 40 years ago (I started flying commercially in and out of rural Colorado in the 1960's by the way), when the rural Colorado population was much smaller. I predict that within 5 years or so air travel out of rural Colorado will be unaffordable to all but the most wealthy patrons, if service is available at all. Then all those yuppie and bourgeoisie travelers will be left to mix it up with we serfs on the decaying rural Colorado highways--if they or we can afford or get the fuel. Interesting times ahead.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Yes, there are telecommuters. I work them every day. But, they still rely on other industries to be healthy in order to make a living. They also run the risk of outsourcing to places outside of the United States. That "portability" can cut both ways. In fact, that has happened to some telecommuters I have known who have lived in this region. Somebody in India or somewhere is doing their job now.

Also, I would imagine, based on his timing, that the guy from NYC was an equity locust, too, that brought a bunch of money with him to Durango to buy at the area's inflated prices. That did help soften the blow for a lot of transplants--I think those days are about over . . .

I also surmise from his post that he and his family think that they will be able to get out of Durango frequently to enjoy the "outside world" whenever they want to. Given what I think is coming soon to our energy/transportation system in this country, I think that is a big fat assumption that most people are making that is not likely to stay true. Most ex-urbanites will find rural Colorado very confining if they no longer can get to the outside world on a whim. Already, most air service in rural Colorado is much sparser and way more expensive than it was 40 years ago (I started flying commercially in and out of rural Colorado in the 1960's by the way), when the rural Colorado population was much smaller. I predict that within 5 years or so air travel out of rural Colorado will be unaffordable to all but the most wealthy patrons, if service is available at all. Then all those yuppie and bourgeoisie travelers will be left to mix it up with we serfs on the decaying rural Colorado highways--if they or we can afford or get the fuel. Interesting times ahead.
...blah, blah, blah...

I have no worries about my job being outsourced to India, for good reason (unless a foreign entity wants to buy my company). I'm fairly certain the commercial airline industry will continue to exist well into the future.

As "the guy from NYC" proposed to you directly in a PM months ago, let's touch base in 5 yrs and see who's more content and who's life has improved more since 2009...

You have your beliefs. I believe many of your predictions are weak at best.

Cheers.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Don't worry yourself too much...I'd bet good money that you could spend some time here in Durango, we could cross paths often, and you'd never know i was one of the dreaded, vermin telecommuters.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchasse;12553090I
have no worries about my job being "outsourced to India" for good reason. .
A job requiring a clearance would fit in that category.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:06 PM

4,888 posts, read 8,901,170 times
Quote:
Furthermore, i can confidently say our daughter won't grow up without plenty of exposure to arts, literature, culture and diversity, whether it's found locally or otherwise.
Well that's the key, there's not much to be found locally is there.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Don't worry yourself too much...I'd bet good money that you could spend some time here in Durango, we could cross paths often, and you'd never know i was one of the dreaded, vermin telecommuters.
Jchasse - Actually this was the result of a position I put forward that telecommuters like yourself could be the savior of rural and small town economies and property values. I wasn't denigrating you as I'm pretty much in that mode myself now and my wife has been for years. You're riding the wave of the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or