U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 10:34 PM

7,048 posts, read 6,212,065 times

Advertisements

i could not have said it better Jazz. i still grow a victory garden
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 09:18 AM

118 posts, read 269,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Not really, because I don't think it is those kinds of things that allow a person to survive hard times. What is the key to survival is having reliable and trustworthy friends and/or family in a functioning community, and the life and work skills that will allow you to survive in a difficult socio-economic environment. Both of my parents lived through the entire Great Depression. They didn't own guns or a horde of food. What they both did have was friends and family, a good work ethic, varied life and career skills, and a whole lot of good common sense. They didn't have much during the Depression, but they managed to get and keep jobs, make enough money to survive (and even save a little), and still manage to be happy. Despite the hardships, neither of them thought of it as a dark part of their lives. That was saved for World War II, when my Dad was overseas from 1942-45--very much in harm's way--and was home for one 30 day leave that entire time. During the rest of the time, they never ONCE communicated except by censored letters. That was really hard on both of them, but they certainly weren't alone in that regard. My Mom summed it up, "It was rough, but I was blessed, at least your Dad finally came home--a lot of 'em didn't." We just think we're tough these days--those folks in the "Greatest Generation" were the real deal.
Well, my question was meant in jest. But I actually agree with one of your posts! My parents were born in the '20, dad fought in WWII also. That generation was in fact the real deal.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:46 AM

14,131 posts, read 26,375,209 times
You may not believe it but the generation (the millenials) now coming of age is at least their equal. We boomers pale in comparison. Hoping they're good enough to clean up the messes we've made.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:58 AM

2 posts, read 4,401 times
Thanks everyone for you informative responses. After all was said and done, we decided that Durango wasn't for us. I chose bad timing to look more than anything. I don't think anyplace would be right for now, but in a couple of years, we are out of here!

Old 02-06-2010, 11:25 AM

Location: The most beautiful town in the US, Durango Colorado!
2 posts, read 2,477 times
Your children will not be bored, quite the contrary. Thanks to the environment (300+ days of sunshine) and the fact that Durango is nestled among many peaks, there will be no lapse of activity. From biking, hiking, rafting, kayaking in the spring/summer to skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing in the winter and every imaginable activity between, the kids will have PLENTY to do! Besides outdoor activities, the rec center, as previously mentioned, is a great resource and there are plenty of classes at the arts center, dance studio, and the schools here are wonderful. Your children will get a great education and live the ultimate childhood in the mountains. I only wish that my parents would have raised me here...

As for you, the fact that you already have a job is the greatest thing ever! One extremely important factor in moving to Durango is whether or not you've secured employment. As you may have read, the job market here is not the best, and so, financially speaking, if you're moving here, you better have a job, and/or a retirement plan. If you have a job, bring your family here and begin to enjoy life at a more relaxing pace.

I moved here last year and cannot ever imagine moving away. The quality of life is amazing, and everyone here is kind and easy going. Since I've moved to Durango, I've convinced two of my family members to move here as well, and will continue to advertise the place to my friends and family. I love Durango, and would encourage you to at least visit before you make your final decision.

Good luck, keep on researching, and don't listen to the naysayers, especially if you have a job, and would like to raise your children in a wholesome environment. See you here soon!

Last edited by Mike from back east; 02-06-2010 at 11:32 AM.. Reason: Realtor advertising not permitted.

Old 02-06-2010, 11:39 AM

The Chamber of Commerce has spoken!

Old 02-06-2010, 12:39 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,206,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
The Chamber of Commerce has spoken!
No kidding. The "I've been here (fill in the blank, but usually a year or less) and just love the place" gushing posts are pretty funny, really. Usually it is posted by someone who just moved from some metropolitan hell-hole and thinks they just discovered paradise (that Paradise Syndrome again). They usually either a) brought a pot load of money with them, so the difficult local economy is irrelevant or b) the Paradise Syndrome hasn't had time to eat all of their savings and equity yet.

Whether it is the case with a couple of these posts or not, I do really get twisted off when the people who don't have to rely on the local economy gush to people who actually WILL have to rely on the local economy about how great a place is--it is grossly misleading. They, of course, also dismiss any less than glowing post about their community by anyone who has greater and/or longer familiarity with it as being "negative." Not surprising, they don't want anyone to spoil their little dream, which is usually still going strong at about Year One. Now, you have to ask yourself: Why is it, if the resort towns are so great, that you will find relatively few residents in them that have lived there longer than 5-10 years? Well, it's because a lot of the newcomers eventually figure out what a lot of we old-line Coloradans already knew--they are not that great a places to live or raise a family over the long haul, and the local economy is usually pretty hostile to making a livable income.

As to "friendliness" in Durango, I will disagree with that once again. I spend a lot of time in various rural Colorado communities. While Durango used to be (say 30 years ago or more) a quite friendly community, I now find it one of the least friendly communities in rural Colorado--a fact with which a number of my ex-long-time-Durango-residents friends heartily agree. I'm certain that it is more friendly than some metropolitan s***-hole like LA, Phoenix, or Dallas, but that not is not saying much.

Old 02-06-2010, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Usually it is posted by someone who just moved from some metropolitan hell-hole and thinks they just discovered paradise (that Paradise Syndrome again). They usually either a) brought a pot load of money with them, so the difficult local economy is irrelevant or b) the Paradise Syndrome hasn't had time to eat all of their savings and equity yet.
or c) Last edited by.... ; Reason: Realtor advertising not permitted.

Old 05-01-2010, 03:10 PM

7 posts, read 12,928 times
Molly,
Your children may adjust, but will you? I grew up in Cortez, moved to San Diego for 13 years and am now just outside of Durango. It is beautiful here, but there are not many activities to do. Haven't found too many people that are outgoingly friendly, a lot of clicks. It is almost like being in high school again (based on being a participant of my childrens activities). Winter really sucks, especially if you love the warm weather. It is May and still snowing.... The only shopping is Wal-Mart a few over priced stores on main and a coulpe of thrift stores. The nearest Target is close to an hours drive in Farmington,NM and the largest city is either Albuquerque or Grand Junction which are both close to a 4 hour drive. Not sure how it compares to Phx, but everything is more expensive here than in San Diego such as groceries and gas. Horrible selection of fresh fruits and veggies, especially in the winter. A few rents are less expensive, but not many and not in town.
Hope this helps.

Sorry if I have offended any of the natives, just stating the observations and experiences I have had over the past 2 years....

Read more: Durango too small for Phoenix city kids?

Old 05-01-2010, 03:17 PM

7 posts, read 12,928 times
Oh, and if you don't have a job already, good luck not only finding a good paying job, but one that is not seasonal or a long commute, such as a 3 hour daily commute to Telluride....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or