U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 03:52 AM

11 posts, read 12,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Take a breath View Post
Molly,
Haven't found too many people that are outgoingly friendly, a lot of clicks. It is almost like being in high school again (based on being a participant of my childrens activities).

Read more: Durango too small for Phoenix city kids?
a lot of cliques in Durango? Sadly, that's the nature of small town america in my experience. I've only been to Durango once, and it's a great place. on the other hand, big cities are not safe to raise kids, due to gangs and meth. I'd take the small town over the big town, even if it meant less fresh fruit in winter, expensive gas, and a lower paying job.

This is an interesting forum, and reading through here I see people asking the same thing about many small towns all over the US - and living in a big city I hate it here, can't walk around at night, and there are metheads wandering the streets 24/7, and sirens blazing all the time

So maybe all the friendly people from BIG cities will invade SMALL cities like Durango and make them FRIENDLIER!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 08:29 AM

33 posts, read 54,342 times
[quote=CAVA1990;12512448]San Francisco or New York? Those are the only two I can think of in the U.S. that fit that description.

Not to make a statement either way about small town living as I'm about to live in a town with 1,000 people, half of whom are part time residents, but many cities have fit her description. Atlanta, my home of the last 20 years fits her description very well, with a world class Opera and Ballet, museums, universities, the CDC, and major business. Indianapolis has a terrific arts and theater scene and, because of Lilly Corp, contains a great scientific community.

I live in a New Urbanist neighborhood in the downtown area of Atlanta so we definitely have a sense of community here while we enjoy the benefits of living in a major metropolis. I know my neighbors and their kids, we have community events and parties, spontaneous afternoons hanging out at the parks or in front of each other's houses. Because this is not a gated situation, we have come to know our neighbors from the surrounding area and are involved in the well being of the city as a whole and its politics.

I think it is a matter of making community no matter where one is and, if one lives in a small town, one can either remain isolated as one can do in a big city, or one can get involved and make the life that one chooses, especially with the advantages of great libraries, the internet, and easy travel.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:13 PM

8 posts, read 20,727 times
I know a family who moved from phoenix and are doing quite well in durango. As a kid I moved from CT to Flagstaff, Az and it was really bad for me to move to a town with so little to do... most the outdoors stuff diddn't appeal to the city girl in me. I finally adjusted and moved to Durango about 2 years ago. I love it... the move can be real tough for kids but I have also heard some great stuff about Durango High School.

Old 10-08-2012, 02:03 PM

10 posts, read 7,375 times
depends on the kids...if they like the outdoors they will love it, if not well when they get old enough they can move out...more incentive...right? its a college town and slow... the surrounding towns are absolutely slow.......they will need bikes to go anywhere or use the transit which is great...

<< big cities are not safe to raise kids, due to gangs and meth.>> I am sorry do not go with that mentality...small towns have more or the same meth/drug problems...because kids have less to occupy their time....I lived in Cottonwood, Az and their were meth houses everywhere there...so dont buy into the small town has less drug problems that is b.s.

raise your kids so that they can "survive" in any environment. Teach them to pick what is right to do....and show them the consequences of making wrong decisions.....thats life...prepare them not insulate or isolate them...

Last edited by Mike from back east; 10-08-2012 at 03:36 PM.. Reason: Merged 3:1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or